Dice Success & Failure modification

Coruja

Dear devs. Thank you for all the hard work so far.

When playing Chronicles of Darkness we sometimes need to calculate the number of successes AND the number of failures. Back at OGMW I would just use both S and X tags and the result would be two numbers in parenthesis, separated by a coma. Something like this [roll=text]3d10es8x7z[/roll] could give me the rolls 3, 9, 7, and the final result would be text (1, 2), meaning 1 success and 2 failures.

Here in Baldr, when I try to use both of them, I get an error. It simply doesn't work together. I also noticed that the success feature already cover the failure feature inside, since you can opt to count results either higher or lower than a certain target number. That makes the failure feature redundant and unnecessary. My suggestion is to remove the failure tag, since the success already cover it, and add to the success an option to count the dice that didn't meet the criteria.

So, for success count, we would use success(explode(8d10,9),8,above,no,no,no). For failure count, we would use success(explode(8d10,9),7, below,no,no,no). For both, success(explode(8d10,9),8,above,no,no,yes). Notice the third boolean tag.

I hope to have been clear on my suggestion. English is not my main language. Thank you again for your work.

I was thinking here, instead of creating a third boolean tag, we could re-use an existing one. The above/below could be expanded to above/below/both .

Or perhaps the Success option can pass forward the dice results so the conventional Failure can use it and calculate it.

image.png.ac4c6b202231e6522f6131fba81dc1d4.png

Here's my personal issue. The first roll it simply got me an error.

The second roll the Failure function counted 8 fails and passed this to the success counting, and it showed 1 success as a result.

The third and forth rolls I decided to simply count failures myself, manually. There were 7 fails opposed to 7 successes on roll 3.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2023 at 5:16 AM, Coruja said:

I was thinking here, instead of creating a third boolean tag, we could re-use an existing one. The above/below could be expanded to above/below/both .

Or perhaps the Success option can pass forward the dice results so the conventional Failure can use it and calculate it.

image.png.ac4c6b202231e6522f6131fba81dc1d4.png

Here's my personal issue. The first roll it simply got me an error.

The second roll the Failure function counted 8 fails and passed this to the success counting, and it showed 1 success as a result.

The third and forth rolls I decided to simply count failures myself, manually. There were 7 fails opposed to 7 successes on roll 3.

I like the both idea. Shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

12 minutes ago, Eric said:

I like the both idea. Shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

Thank you very much! Alternatively, it could always provide the count to both success and failure (in that order). Alternatively 2, it could just pass the dice results to the next function, just like explode does.

• 1 month later...

The "both" feature is now live in the roller. GUI update coming this weekend, but it works in CLI mode:

image.png.c0faae5ef9e59d732f3772f8e9a7b8a2.png

On 9/8/2023 at 9:20 AM, Coruja said:

Alternatively 2, it could just pass the dice results to the next function, just like explode does.

With the both option, we're providing two numbers back, so there's not a lot of sensible functioning that can be done downstream.

9 hours ago, Eric said:

The "both" feature is now live in the roller. GUI update coming this weekend, but it works in CLI mode:

image.png.c0faae5ef9e59d732f3772f8e9a7b8a2.png

With the both option, we're providing two numbers back, so there's not a lot of sensible functioning that can be done downstream.

Thank you a lot! This means a lot! You guys rock!

• 3 weeks later...