The Mead Hall (OOC)

Ace Bronson

A couple quick agenda items for the players:

I'd like to use a discord server to supplement our communication. I've heard many pbp Gm's swear by it for maintaining better communication and facilitating game flow and pacing. I haven't decided exactly to what capacity I intend to use it, but I'd like everyone to join it. If any of you have experience using discord to enhance pbp I'm interested to hear how it was used. Here is the invite link. I still need to work on setting it up, but it's there. https://discord.gg/4T8qqFuj

On a similar note, I plan to use Roll20 as a combat map interface for us. Here is the game invite. You should be able to join with this link. I'm happy to help anyone with the details or logistics of one or both of these apps if you're not familiar with them. So please don't hesitate to ask. https://app.roll20.net/join/15837464/PZHeqA

It is my sincere intention to do my very best as GM to manage the pace and flow of the game in a way that gives us the best odds of having a vibrant and long-lasting game. I need all of y'all's help with that as well. PLEASE, PLEASE. PLEASE communicate!!! It's the number one biggest thing you can do to help me and the game. Life happens, we're not robots. We'll all have our times when we are less available or consistent. Please just let me know so I can adjust and accommodate. I will try to do the same. Let me know if you're getting bored or struggling with the pace of the game. I may not be able to fix it for you (I'll try) but at least I'll know what you're struggling with and wont be surprised or confused with lack of consistency or engagement.

I will try to leave appropriate windows for players to respond to situations or take their turn in combat, but if I haven't heard from you in a couple days I'll move things along in the best way I can for the scene. I don't want to punish people, but I also don't want to let the game fizzle because one person can't post for a week. I'm a a fairly flexible and humble person. I'm open to feedback and ideas. I may not end up deciding to go with the suggestion but I'm open to hearing it. I don't mind being corrected on rules. I do my best to get them right and be fair, but I'm not an encyclopedia (...anymore. My teenage brain could do it, but my adult brain is soft and mushy. lol)

I'm throwing a couple character connection ideas out there to get the ball rolling. I'd like some of the characters to know each other, but not everyone needs to know everyone for our first adventure.

Goran and Hjarlof are both White Bear Clan. Hjarlof works sometimes as a messenger between Jarls. It could make sense that Goran has worked for Hjarlof on certain dangerous journeys to provide safe passage and protection. They have spent enough time together to build trust and rapport. If both of you are ok with that feel free to flesh out some past experiences together when you are able.

Alruna and Ranulf are both Raven Clan. I'm not seeing as obvious of a connection between the two of them. It's possible they could be related though Alruna comes from a family of Thanes and Ranulf is a Freeman. I'm open to ideas. Something to at the very least give them reason to be heading to Sjoldir together.

@Xssisha Greetings friend. Per Ace's suggestion that our characters likely know one another, my first thought is that perhaps they grew up and lived in separate villages in the North but came to know of one another as they grew older, though were never too close. Hjarlof, I assume was a rightful son of the clan, whereas Goran was a lowly thrall, so it makes sense that they'd not have known one another personally throughout their youth. Goran has also been very quiet and solitary most of his life.

Goran came to garner a fair bit of acclaim for his unique nature and success in battle, so perhaps Hjarlof had heard of him before they'd met in person.

My thought is that perhaps they met in the north woods, within the realm of the White Bear Clan, when Goran, who has a fondness for music, was attracted by Hjarlof's playing. They became respected acquaintances due to their familial ties. Goran would be reluctant to call anyone his "friend".

Since then, due to the wide ranging travels of each, they have perhaps encountered one another on occasion here or there and even travelled some together.

I'm open to any amendments, thoughts or critiques.

Let me know.

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

Seems fine to me.

1 hour ago, Svartalf said:

Too bas Aud is not among us, she and Blôdarna are related, you can see the family resemblance

yeah, I hate that I couldn't fit everyone in that wanted to play. :(

Also, Can everyone please attach their character sheets to the game please?

2 hours ago, Eborne1 said:

@Xssisha Greetings friend. Per Ace's suggestion that our characters likely know one another, my first thought is that perhaps they grew up and lived in separate villages in the North but came to know of one another as they grew older, though were never too close. Hjarlof, I assume was a rightful son of the clan, whereas Goran was a lowly thrall, so it makes sense that they'd not have known one another personally throughout their youth. Goran has also been very quiet and solitary most of his life.

Goran came to garner a fair bit of acclaim for his unique nature and success in battle, so perhaps Hjarlof had heard of him before they'd met in person.

My thought is that perhaps they met in the north woods, within the realm of the White Bear Clan, when Goran, who has a fondness for music, was attracted by Hjarlof's playing. They became respected acquaintances due to their familial ties. Goran would be reluctant to call anyone his "friend".

Since then, due to the wide ranging travels of each, they have perhaps encountered one another on occasion here or there and even travelled some together.

I'm open to any amendments, thoughts or critiques.

Let me know.

I am game for this. Hjarlof is much more likely to sing (baritone) than really play music just for himself... He uses his horn for signals, and to wow a few by using Alter Instrument to make it sound like a string or percussion instrument.

He has been to pretymuch all the clans lands, but not toall the cities. He primarily runs merchant and low-level communications.

7 minutes ago, Svartalf said:

If Hjarlof has been to Krakung lands, and in particular the Jarl's capital, odds are Blôdarna has seen him there, even if he doesn't remember her

Quite likely... Spending so much time with new faces, he can hardly remember everyone... with an INT of 14 he is good, but not stellar.

How is everyone feel about getting started with the first adventure relatively soon? I have one other player that I'm communicating with and will likely add. I'm eager to start and I want to keep the pace and flow going strong from the get go. I've seen games fizzle before they even start before. There wont likely need to be much dice rolling in the very beginning so even if you have a few things left to button up on your sheet it shouldn't matter too much.

I should be ready to go! I'll think on potential connections with Alruna if anything crosses my mind, for now it's probably something blessing related when sailing happens?

I can get to a steady posting schedule starting tomorrow, and should still be around today, but mostly from mobile (and I'll need to steal a posting vignette from someone)