The Mead Hall (OOC)

Ace Bronson

I apologize if the way this played out wasn't fun for some of you. It wasn't my plan, I was rolling with a spontaneous suggestion that sounded dramatic and thematically appropriate. I don't consider Ranulf to be the leader of the party, nor does he, I'm sure. I agree that it's not fun to play in a game where there is one character being the regular center of attention, that is not my plan. It was Ranulf's idea, so I gave some in-game justification to make it make sense. I try to give various characters moments to shine and create some memories when it's appropriate, I hope I can do something equally cool for all of you in turn. Most encounters will be pure team effort. I also acknowledge the pacing of the decision making wasn't ideal. I'm still getting the hang of pacing PbP games. More than anything I fear games losing momentum and players ghosting the game. We've all seen it happen many times and it's been the fate of many of my attempts to GM here. So my knee-jerk reaction is to keep things fun, exciting and moving forward. I can imagine that some of you might have felt like all that happened as a blur while you were at work or asleep and that might have felt frustrating. I got excited about a fun and interesting end to an encounter that had essentially played itself out. Playing out a couple more turns of six ganging up on one and hacking him down seemed anticlimactic. So this seemed like a quick and fun way to add some drama to the end of the scene.

I really liked the encounter and I thought it went great. And I enjoyed the ending. I think the minor concern about a central figure/player was voiced and resolved.

The group seems great to me. I look forward to seeing where things go.

Sorry for holding things up narratively. I'll be posting within the hour.

Yeah I'm good, i thought there was implication of a leader and i didn't know how far we were going with that. Sounds like it's nothing to be concerned about. Great encounter for us all to find our sea-legs, so to speak.

Ok, I'm glad to hear ya'll are good. I just caught hint of grumblings that maybe I misinterpreted or over inflated. Since I wont be posting much the next few days this is a good opportunity for you all to play up the introduction of Grey Feather and play through the resolution of the encounter. As I said before, you can recruit enough crew to sparsely man both ships and therefore claim the pirate ship as a ship for the party if you so choose. I will tell you what there is for loot when I get a chance. I'm fine with any of you posting narratively about how all of that is resolved including describing reasonable actions of the captain and crew. Maybe hash out the details of what you'd like to do in discord and then when all are in agreement someone can post what happens. This can be a good opportunity to get so RP in between encounters. The Shield Maiden is damaged from the boarding and will require being docked to do some of the repairs. It can still get along ok right now but it needs to find friendly ground as soon as possible. So feel free to play out any of this scene up to the point of pressing on and attempting to reach the island. Hope that makes sense. I'll try to peek into discord at the very least today if y'all have questions about anything. Have fun!

14 hours ago, Ace Bronson said:

I also acknowledge the pacing of the decision making wasn't ideal. I'm still getting the hang of pacing PbP games. More than anything I fear games losing momentum and players ghosting the game. We've all seen it happen many times and it's been the fate of many of my attempts to GM here. So my knee-jerk reaction is to keep things fun, exciting and moving forward. I can imagine that some of you might have felt like all that happened as a blur while you were at work or asleep and that might have felt frustrating. I got excited about a fun and interesting end to an encounter that had essentially played itself out. Playing out a couple more turns of six ganging up on one and hacking him down seemed anticlimactic. So this seemed like a quick and fun way to add some drama to the end of the scene.

It's definitely a tough balance to get!

But I sure like that you communicate about those things. 👍
On my end, I had a touch of disappointment at first, but it went away, and overall I'd say the whole scene & process around it went fairly well.

Hey! Posting here as I seem to have been the, uhm, catalyst of unexpected feelings - I did wanted to apologise to everyone about that. It started with a tongue in cheek comment on the discord regarding a fighting, and the person proposing fighting volunteering (namely, me). That was more glory than he bargained for!

Ranulf's job will mostly go back to being suspicious, throwing the odd lore snippet and sneaking, though the part about feeling lesser to the large burly fighters is definitely gone!

• 3 weeks later...

Any of you can continue this conversation as much as you wish, we can also move forward if you're ready to. Here's my general plan for this stage.  You'll have a few days to a week while the repairs are being done. You can use this time in the Ormrung camp as you see fit. It could be a good time for information gathering and planning. Obviously setting up camp here where you intended isn't going to likely work, but maybe there are other options... Be thinking about what information or planning your character would like to pursue and what skills you might have to bring to bear, if any. I will give you  more information about the camp once you're done talking to Sigurd if you choose to accept his terms and stay for the repairs. Please speak up here if you're done with the conversation so I know not to wait for you to move things forward. 

Even though I mentioned this on Discord, please do not interpret my post to mean that Ulfgrim is going to start a battle.

It's more of a post about his thoughts and emotions, with the only action taken being a scowl and slight momentarily shifting of his weight from one leg to the other (or a slight non-aggressive barely noticeable flinch)

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Terran said:

Even though I mentioned this on Discord, please do not interpret my post to mean that Ulfgrim is going to start a battle.

It's more of a post about his thoughts and emotions, with the only action taken being a scowl and slight momentarily shifting of his weight from one leg to the other (or a slight non-aggressive barely noticeable flinch)

I feel like I interpreted your post correctly. You're welcome to your thoughts and opinions. I wouldn't have even had a problem with you contradicting Hjarlof or pulling him aside for a debate. A little intra-party friction isn't always a bad thing as long as it contributes to the story, stays in character and doesn't get out of hand. Hopefully everyone is more or less on the same page now with the plan.

not sure what you mean by interpreted my post.

I didn't see any new posts.

I guess all this is discussed in discord.

I didn't have time to read the discussions there, I just posted on discord during a break what my myth post was about.

So to be honest, I have no clue what the plan is or anything posted on discord.

I will look at it. Just swamped and wore out. Was up from Wednesday morning to Thursday night handling an emergency T.R.O.

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

Okay, wow, I missed days of stuff. Pages and pages of discord.

I will need to sleep and read it over with fresh eyes in the morning. 😀

3 hours ago, Terran said:

You didn't miss anything. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to keep up on discord if you don't want to. You can just react to the IC posts.

DM is just saying that he understood your intent on your last post. And it was a perfectly acceptable post.

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

On 5/10/2024 at 8:59 PM, Terran said:

Yeah, what Eborne1 said. Please dont stress. I was responding to your post above where you asked us not to interpret your post as starting a battle. You seem like you're on the right track. We're just info gathering, creating connections, RPing etc while we wait for the ship to be repaired. I try not to let anything truly important get buried in the Discord conversations. I'll post anything important both here and in the "important info" channel on discord. I also try to tag people on important posts so you can see it in your notifications and not have to dig for it. This is meant to be fun, not stressful. :)