Max Avatar Size

PigLickJF said on the Discord:

Is there (or will there) be a way to change the size of posters' icons/avatars in posts, and/or turn them off altogether? (I don't see a way, but could be overlooking something).

Bwatford replied:

I know on mobile the icon size doesn't change the container. I will make a note to look at the desktop container and see if a max-size might be possible when I get back from vacation. 

This message is a reminder to check into the issue when I return.

Thanks for looking into it, less wasted screen space is always a good thing in my eyes. I hate scrolling, and now that we're able to use more screen width lots of posts aren't more than a line or two, so as it stands there's as much or more empty space for each post than there is actual content. (That being said, if it's not possible/feasible, it's not like it's a deal breaker or anything).

Conceptually less scrolling is better, but there's a lot of UX research that documents the maximum width of text being around 20cm (10in) based on the ability of the human eye/brain to track a line from side to side and jump correctly to the next line down. We definitely will pack in as much useful information as possible--which, in my opinion, does not include the user's post count--as we look to improve, and not having to scroll is a design ideal as well.

• 2 weeks later...

That definitely does tighten things up a bit, and the avatars still seem plenty big enough (for my tastes, at least). If the post count gets removed as Eric has mentioned to tighten things up a little more, or at least replaced with something more worthwhile/useful, that would be great. Thanks bwat!

On a somewhat related issue, is it possible to re-order the signature and "Quote" sections of a post? Maybe it's just me, but it feels strange to have the quote button sandwiched between the post and the signature like that.

9 hours ago, PigLickJF said:

That definitely does tighten things up a bit, and the avatars still seem plenty big enough (for my tastes, at least). If the post count gets removed as Eric has mentioned to tighten things up a little more, or at least replaced with something more worthwhile/useful, that would be great. Thanks bwat!

On a somewhat related issue, is it possible to re-order the signature and "Quote" sections of a post? Maybe it's just me, but it feels strange to have the quote button sandwiched between the post and the signature like that.

The change has now been made global across all themes.

As fa as the signature and post count goes things are still in flux with where the die roller and sheets are going to end up.  We will wait until the die roller changes are in place and then we will take another look at signature placement at that time if necessary.

With regards to signatures, is there an option to not include the signature on an individual post the way we did on the old site?  I see that I can set my preference globally, but I don't like to include a signature on my IC posts so being able to set it at the post level is nice.

13 minutes ago, Gralhruk said:

With regards to signatures, is there an option to not include the signature on an individual post the way we did on the old site?  I see that I can set my preference globally, but I don't like to include a signature on my IC posts so being able to set it at the post level is nice.

I believe they are a global setting only. @Colincan probably confirm that.