The Old Lantern Inn

The Eyeball Kid

Beneath the sea-battered wooden eaves, etched with years of salt and the smell of the ocean around, a brittle copper lantern hangs from a pirate hook as it squeaks and rattles swaying in the chilly dock-side breeze. Its leathery orange flame flickers in the dark autumn night partially illuminating a thick door, as waves smack the wharf piles and ship hulls below.

A former dock-side storeroom now converted into a small tavern beams with activity. It serves anything it can get its hand on, locally and afar. No one day is the same at The Old Lantern. The run-down tavern is known for its cheap drink and heavy dock-side patronage of pirates, fishermen, seafarers, dockhands and alike.

The Old Lantern, is nothing more than a converted old weatherboard storeroom with its tired interior, patchy oak boards and cheery woodwork, scarred from years of bar fights and drunken vandals. Inside, many old rusty lanterns hang, giving off a soft warm glow, while old fishing nets decorate the roof. The dark timber walls are a mix with ornaments from lands unknown and times past.

In the corner some jolly seamen perform sea shanties with makeshift instruments–wooden flutes, fiddles and hand drums. The sound of their cheerful foot-stomping, hand clapping music resonates throughout the busy tavern over the noise of tapping feet, pirate stories, loud laughter, cheers and toasting.

The timeworn brick fireplace is ablaze, comfortably warming the tavern while the flickering of yellow and orange flames reveal a few old lobster pots serving as chairs around a heavily stained wine barrel in a slightly quieter and shadowy corner; not that this place is quiet in any way. It's time to find Gundren the dwarf, the one offering a potential quick money-making job.

Edited by The Eyeball Kid (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

The Old Lantern has an odd energy tonight with the patrons aware that Gundren Rockseer has called down a horde of adventurers on the establishment. Regulars might notice that the proprietor, Sem Savron, a human former sailor, seems to have hired extra muscle for the evening.

spacer.png

Galinndan Kiirnodel

AC: 14 (Hide)| HP: 10/10 (1/1d12) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 15, Insight 12, Investigation 10

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 6 (-2) | Int: 11 (+0) | Wis: 15 (+2) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Draconian

Abilities: Rage 2/2, Lightning Whip

The door opened with crash of waves outside as Gil took a swig from his flask before tucking into his back pocket. He had changed on the way here, so as to let all the pirates and scoundrels relax about his presence. Hid hide armor was cheep, a patchwork of various animal skins and furs, pulled together with well aged cordes of sinew and cord.

He walked straight for the bar, pointing at Sem as he did. "What is my tab at, if its not zero, is it to high to buy more? Has Kora got here before me and is she threatening you so as to not serve me beer? I promise I can pay more than her... eventually."

He sat down at the bar and looked out over the crowd. If he were 60 or 70 years younger, he might try and turn in some of the rabble rousers he saw, but that was a diffrent man, a diffrent time, and those thoughs led him into a sulking mood as he pulled out his flask again and drank.

OOC

Movement: —

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

Ooc: First!

Ander-profileAnder Thornton
HP: 13/13 AC: 18 Passive Perception 14 Insight 14

Ander walked into the Old Lantern after a few minutes of hesitation, letting the older elf go first. THIS is where Sildar said to find a job? Still it was better than no job. His purse was feeling especially light.

He walked in, leaning against his quarterstaff, his shield and sword stowed. His leg had been hurting for a while now, an arrow in his muscle or something. The healers said it should be fine, but it still hurt. Lots of things still hurt. His armor was a mix of standard blacksmith and Neverwinter guard uniform he had been allowed to keep.

While he had his reservations about the job, he did not about the food. He wandered up to the bar, after the elder elf. "What's good around her sir?" he said to the elf he assumed had been here many times @Taigains

spacer.png

Galinndan Kiirnodel

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 17 (+3) | Con: 6 (-2) | Int: 11 (+0) | Wis: 15 (+2) | Cha: 10 (+0)

Gil was lost in own mind, remembering silver gold hair and skin so pain it was almost blue when he heard a noise from next to him. He turned, a grimace upon his features as he left the moment in his mind, and he focused on the youth. The familiar youth; he stared intently at the boy as he tried to remember the name.

With a snap of his fingers he pointed at the lad, "Ander something, trained by one of my best students. Which... is... why your here. Of course Silly Sy would send something your way. I gotta say, what those two other guardsmen did to you wasn't right. The name is Galinndan Kiirnodel, but you will call me Gil, understood?"

OOC

@Mick the Rogue

Brandt

Bwb7rq4b.png.2b5183dca5f51aedbbc46eb4f200d33a.pngrandt  HP: 11/11 Saves: Str 4, Dex 0, Con 3, Int 2, Wis: 5, Cha: 5, Armor Class: 16, Spell DC 13 Passive Perception: 15, Insight 15
Initiative: +0, Speed: 30, Intimidation +5, Persuasion +5, Religion +5

It had been a few weeks since he had last spoke to Gundren, he had temporarily parted ways the next town over as there wasn't any urgency for him to be here. At least until now. Having stayed in Neverwinter and worked a job dealing with misshapen creatures that were crawling from the sewer grates. There were much more powerful adventurers there, but he was able to cut a few down and make a coin.

Once he finished the task, Brandt made travel to this place. Phandalin. He knew nothing of it's history or what to expect, but with all the pirates and sailors it brought a smile to his face. It reminded him of home. It's been a few months since he was back in Ten Towns, his favorite mead hall in Good Mead. As he pushed the doors open, he strode confidently into the room. He was a tall man, his chain mail slightly bronze in color, with a helm adorned with thirteen point antlers. His Greatsword was kept as his back and he strode across the room straight to the bar. "Give me the strongest ale." he says, "It appears that there are quite a few people here waiting to see Gundren." he says to the barkeep.

Ander made a grimace. "Better to move on, sir. Can't change the past." he said in a way that suggested he told himself that a lot. "And Gil, got it sir." he said waving down the bartender "Cider if you got it."

He looked over at the man with the greatsword strapped to his back and then back to Gil. He wiggled in his chair, moving his leg to try and be comfy

"Lots of merceneries... S'pose I'm one now too... Competition usually this bad sir?"

Brandt

Bwb7rq4b.png.2b5183dca5f51aedbbc46eb4f200d33a.pngrandt  HP: 11/11 Saves: Str 4, Dex 0, Con 3, Int 2, Wis: 5, Cha: 5, Armor Class: 16, Spell DC 13 Passive Perception: 15, Insight 15

Brandt looked over as the man who mentioned mercenaries. "I can accept that, it seems Gundren is well known in many parts, to have more work under him often guarantees a good coin." He shifts to the side and takes a better look at him, "I noticed how you moved your leg about as I came in." he says, "Hope it was a worthy battle that earned you that."

Just as he spoke, the drink was set down before him, he reaches for the mug and raises it into the air. "Be fearless! Never turn away from a fight! Obey the rules of war!" he spoke loudly and then took a drink.

best-wizard-spells-in-dnd-5e-1.jpgElberen Harrowdale

AC: 12 (15) | Hit Points: 7/7 | Passive Perception: 10 | Init: +2

Arcane Recovery: 1/1 | Spells Slots: 1st: 2/2 | Skills | Saves | Features | Spells Prepared

Elberen had been nervous all day. She hadn't seen Gundren since Nyssa's funeral, but he very clearly said to head to this Old Lantern Inn on this date. She had never heard of the tavern, but that's no surprise; there were few times that she felt the inclination to head out and had little to celebrate, especially as of late.

Standing along the poorly lit wharf, she can hear the waves lapping against the sturdy wood pilings that anchored the dock. Gathering her courage, the young wizard takes a deep breathe. She is glad she remembered to use her mage armor spell before going out feeling the invisible barrier protecting her. Looking at her feet, she sees a black cat slinking between her legs drawing a smile from Elberen. She says quietly, 'Off you go, Vesper! I'm sure I'll be fine. You're right, it's probably nothing to worry about." Extending her hand, the cat disappears with a faint shimmer of magic.

Walking to the front door of the Old Lantern Inn, she pushes at the door...and it doesn't move. She puts her hands on her hips glaring at the stuck door and she pushes again and this time it opens to the dimly lit, large room. The unpleasant smell of stale beer and unwashed bodies reminds her why she doesn't frequent places like this. Seeing the surly sailors off to the side, she looks around the room and finds a few soldier-types milling around the bar at the far end of the room. She adjusts her witches' hat and strides towards where the stench of watered-down liquor is strongest.

She smiles slightly at the brutes that are on either sides of her, including one that looks like he's seen perhaps one too many winters. Elberen looks to the barkeep and says, "Good evening, good sir. I was asked by a friend of mine, Gundren, to be here tonight. And that there would be a job heading towards Phandalin. Who can tell me more about this opportunity?"

Muttering to herself, she says in a low tone, "Really, Elberen? You used good twice and one sentence? Are you twelve?"

She looks around a moment giving appraising looks to those around her.

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)

Ander looked at Brandt with wide eyes and did his best gentle nod. He did his best to not react overmuch... which his eyes definitely betrayed. He thought he saw a lot of different types of people in Neverwinter... seems it was just the beginning. "It was... uh... definitely a tough one." he said looking over at the woman who wandered in. She was the picture of what he expected a witch to look like, albeit significantly cuter and with less warts. Still magic was dangerous, never something he had a talent for and even less of an understanding of.

"We're all waiting on him Miss. I think we all got told the same thing. He's either not here yet or hiding somewhere trying to make his pick."

spacer.pngRhapsody Bellweather
Protector Aasimar, Guild Artisan (Glassblowing)
Bard 1

AC: 15 | HP: 9/9 | Initiative: +4 | Condition: Normal | Passive Perception: 12| Passive Insight: 14 | Passive Investigation: 11 | 1st Level Spell Slots: 2/2 | Bardic Inspiration: 4/4 | Healing Hands (d4s): 2/2

Among the many who are interested in Gundren's flyer, who else should join the numbers but Neverwinter's very own Rhapsody Bellweather. She saunters in, wearing her pink outfit, with yellow/gold bracers and corset. Her white hair is tied up in a braid once again. She enters the inn with a cheerful greeting to everyone inside,

"Helloooo Old Lantern Inn!"

She could hear a good number of the other patrons here greeting her in kind, cheerfully calling her name.

"Hey! It's Rhapsody!"
"Hi Rhapsody!"
"Sight for sore eyes! Here to perform?!"

As she walks through the inn towards the bar, she greets each of the other tavern-goers who greeted her in kind and recognized,

"Hey Bruce! How's Genevieve? Is her knitting project going well?"
"Dorothy! How are the kids? Is Chance taking his studies seriously?"
"Hiya Annie! Won't you tell Grandma Rekha I said 'Hi' for me?"
"Sorry, everyone. I'm not here to perform tonight. I'm here on official business with Gundren Rockseeker,"

Eventually, she does make it to the bar where she could wait for Gundren Rockseeker, and she notices a few others there as well. She greets the men, and woman with a book, "Oh! I don't believe we've met! My name is Rhapsody Bellweather. Are you here to see Gundren Rockseeker as well?"

OOC

Nothing to report for OOC notifications for now...

Edited by Guardian Angel Haruki (see edit history)

dhampir.jpg.e5ce32907fb70b9d302c0154fb0b569d.jpgCarnadine | Darkvision 60 ft | Perception 12 | Insight 12 | Investigation 11

HP 10/10 | Bite 2/2 | Sense 4/4 | Hands 5/5

Defense & Offense

AC 18 (Chain & Shield) | Move 35 ft, Climbing | Initiative +0

Bite +4 to hit 1d4+2 piercing damage, advantage when bloody
Longsword +5 to hit 1d8+3 slashing damage
Dagger +5 to hit 1d4+3 piercing damage, thrown (range 20/60)
Javelin +5 to hit 1d6+3 piercing damage, thrown (range 30/120)

Carnadine had not been to the Neverwinter docks too many times. Having grown up with the army and not the marines, there was always a healthy rivalry and separation. Sildar assured him that the Old Lantern was the place to go. Since he had no where to go or do, he had to make the best of it. He took a deep unnecessary breath and exhaled out of habit and pushed the wooden door open to the cacophony of the popular dockside tavern.

The long black hair of this soldier cannot hide his sharp elven ears, unnerving alabaster skin, and golden, inhuman eyes. He wears an amulet with a raven’s head facing left amid layers of leather waterproofs over chain mail armor. A longsword and dagger hang in scabbards on his weapons' belt. He surveys the busy room from the doorway for a few heartbeats. Not seeing Sildar or the dwarf described as Gundren Rockseer, he follows in the wake of the gregarious performer who arrived immediately before him and weaves his way to the bar avoiding any collisions in the tight space.

Finding a spot to lean against the bar, he waits for the barkeep's attention and arrival within conversation distance, "ale, would you please?" The barkeep showed mild entertainment at the polite manners but said nothing replying only with a clay cup of ale.

The soldier turns his back to the bar again surveying the tavern from another perspective and sips his ale. The pulses in the carotid of patrons occasionally distract him from the music and sea shanties.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

best-wizard-spells-in-dnd-5e-1.jpgElberen Harrowdale

AC: 12 (15) | Hit Points: 7/7 | Passive Perception: 10 | Init: +2

Arcane Recovery: 1/1 | Spells Slots: 1st: 2/2 | Skills | Saves | Features | Spells Prepared

Elberen smiles at Ander and looks at him over her glasses. She says, "Thank you. You are too kind. How do you know Gundren?"

As Rhapsody walks in and all eyes turn to her, the wizard shrinks away from her. She can't imagine a more awful position to have everyone staring at her. She is stunningly beautiful though, so maybe when you look like that, it's alright be the center of attention. The mousy-haired girl gets out of her way as she gets closer to the bar. She presses her lips together as Elberen sees so many people here looking for this job; she isn't sure she's good enough.

spacer.png

Galinndan Kiirnodel

Gil groaned as a headache started in the back of his skull. He rubbed it, feeling the scar that seemed to be the origin point of it as he heard the door open. The helmet that walked in was quite impressive, he made a mental note to ask if the boy had bagged what used to wear those points himself. He ground his teeth as the ache grew.

He took a good long seig of his flask, its cheep liquor burning the back of his throat as he attemped to drown out the gnawing in his mind. He barely noted the mousy girl in the ridiculous hat. "If ya' are planing to take up the Dwarf's job, I might recomend ye' find a less... attention grabbing head topper Lass. Unless its made of metal like Point Break over there."

His headache was ignorable now, whether die to liqueur or it was subsiding, he wasn't one to care about his own well being. That is, apparently, what grandchildren are for. As more would be adventurers pile into the bar, Gil looked around and scoffed. "Rockseeker is robbing the cradle with you lot. Tell me, has even a one of you seen thirty? Gah~ y'all are abuncha pup I say! Barkeep, I need youth proximity suppresent. Who is checking all these ages anyway, I heard Volo put out a new "Drinking ages & Species" a while back."

As another patron entered, he was surprised to see... no one he had heard of walk in. He scoffed as the she bard worked the crowd, and his attention went to the elf behind her. He gave a nod to the fellow knife ear before turning back to the bar.

OOC

Brandt

Brandt gazed over at the aged looking elf, he wondered who this Volo was. As he took another drink of from his mug he set it down and said, "Drinkin in Good Mead had no age requirement, if you can stand head above the bar, you can order a drink." he said, "Funny when you get a haflin or a gnome arguin with the barkeeper, but if they got a beard, they get a pass."

"I learned that anyone small that far north in Ten Towns, has to be tough enough to survive the winters and the beast attacks on the settlements." he says.

He looks towards the woman, "You been that far up north little lady?"