Ch 2: Awake from the Dream

wrathgon

Farhvan marshalled his own knowledge and did his best to steer the group to erroneous conclusions. He silently cursed the low profile they had to keep as he couldn't risk his biotic field giving him away. Still growing up poor on a lawless space station, and years of simulated experience rubbing shoulders with merchants, meant that he was no stranger to massaging the truth.

OOC/Mechanics

Knowledge

Bluff

Name
Knowledge
1d20+14 17
Bluff
1d20+10 5

Enoch logs all of the data and keeps his mouth shut. He looks for ways to manipulate the data to prevent the world-ending mutation scheme while he works.

Name
Life Science, Medicine
38; 40
1d20+19;1d20+28 [19]; [19,12]

The other listen to both Enoch and Farhvan as they break down the formula in such expert ways that none catch the small changes made to make the collusion false.

Vince while does not see the purposeful mistaken knows something is off and questions some of your key points on why you made that assumption or why that symbol meant this not that. He cant break through your knowledge and with you being able to read the notes on the work you are able to still deflect his questions with correct sounding responses.

Kaelan can make a bluff and knowledge check vs those rolled. @Sohala

Name
Sense motive
2d20 8,17

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/bc/b6/67/bcb667b1ff558edf52eb17bc78419f97.jpgThere is an activation of a secure connection at the same time with Enoch and Ross and a familiar cold voice starts talking "Ozen pinged me, orders are to help you mess up what they bastardized from my work." There is a tiny sign of simmering rage at the end. Sammy is apparently not pleased someone is playing with his things. "I can imagine we are all equally happy I'm not dead as being on this assignment. Appraise me of the current situation, so I know where to begin. Don't sabotage too much, Kaelan as beautiful and charming as she might be..." Samuel's voice is back to being emotionless so it is not sure is that a joke or not "...is very gifted in her field, her work helped me immensely, almost as much as her blood. And if either of you is summarily executed because I didn't help, Captain might decide to send me to a tanning salon and I can imagine you know how I would enjoy that. I'll await an answer on this frequency for the next several days, after that I might have to move." As it came connection was gone.

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

Show this

Suspect words, catches Farhvan in the science. Enoch doesn't have a deception roll.

Flare of anger, outburst, short lived?

She wasn't meant to be as aggressive as she was, maybe on certain topics... Take the smart, quiet, small scientist, make her a hulking troll, give her trigger-able anger issues, and that is what was intended. Pick someone up here, break something there.

Noted Enoch isn't talking, missed that. That would mean she beat the two rolls. Her decipher was too low though.

Edited by Sohala (see edit history)
Name
Sense Motive
1d20+12 13
Knowledge
1d20+15 17

Enoch is not trying to bluff, leaves that to Ross, Enoch backs up Ross's science to insulate their augments together, if Ross gets caught out, Enoch comes in to back it up another way.

Kaelan catches Ross but Enoch comes in a different direction and reenforces his finds. She differently thinks they are up to something just can work out what.

Farhvan was glad that Enoch was there to back him up as he made a few clumsy mistakes, but overall it seemed that they might be able pull this off. However, the unexpected message from Samuel nearly gave the game away. Using his microcom to respond sub-vocally he gave terse reply. <<Glad you're still with us, currently have them off track>> There were definitely questions that he had for the undead doctor, but those would have to wait.

OOC/Mechanics

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/bc/b6/67/bcb667b1ff558edf52eb17bc78419f97.jpgSamuel nods more to himself when other medics respond "Hello Farhvan, now I'll outline my plan, it will give the illusion of not only two of you fully cooperating, but being incredibly usefull. Once I know where you are exactly with research I'll be more specific. But two of you will slowly start to discover a series of traits, with appropriate pauses between discoveries and a few duds for a good measure. Discoveries will be true, hence no lying or subterfuge will be necessary, and give the appearance of the two of you not only fully cooperating but giving them gold. Hopefully shaking off any stink off you, so you can stop with sabotages now."

Vampire pauses to clear his mind and collect his thoughts, "Given the time you've been working there, likely stronger equipment and more manpower you probably got pretty far which is good. The real answer is near the beginning, it would mean it is already missed, now all you have to do is start providing valuable data so they don't restart the process. Basically, I'll give you places of certain gene connections that carry certain traits for METAs, and with them confirmed, they should be able to come up with a replacement for that gene anomaly on their own so it is more convincing. This is based on my third failed attempt. Basically target and deactivate places that make certain META their kind. Tusks, Horns, Height etc."

"I labored under the easily fallen-into fallacy if we take away all those and replace it with the Human part, or take the Human part out and implant those parts. Before they are activated, that's the important part, and why my vaccine works with just prepubescent, METAs could be created or eradicated. Logic is sound, proof will be there, it will be successful and give the appearance of not only your loyalty but competence. Once everyone realizes it is the wrong way to do things it could pass up to half a year, 3 months at least. Most importantly both of you will still be in the clear since everyone should be on board and they on their own would come up with solutions for things you point out. If you are to blame, then everyone is, including team leads, I doubt they would fall on their metaphorical swords."

Samuel sighs "Inevitably they will restart, but we will worry about it then. Our great leader might enact some of his plans and extract you by that time. I do have the solution but includes subterfuge and might expose you, so we will leave that if everything else is lost. Feel free to find a weakness in the plan and voice it, the reason it took me 5 restarts was because there was no one to poke holes in my theories."

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

WIth Samuel leading you down his real false paths, there is not much the others can do but follow what you find to the same conclusions that he came to, it would take a brilliant brain to overcome what you have stacked against them.

If order to overcome this false path DC 40 would have to be hit. None seem to be getting around the paths you are leading them. @Sohala can roll for her contact

Name
science checks
3d20 13,3,12

So it stands with the original researcher backing, and Enoch and Ross you lead them away from the more dangerous science and at the blockers. They will start to try to create the beta blocker in the lab, unless you also want to stop them doing that?

@evedgebah @Drunva @Grudge

First is the question can Sam even communicate with them right now, is it audio and video or just audio? The second one is more to the point. Samuel never went that way so he'd be on equal ground as everyone, which would make his off-site involvement needless risk, both Enock and Ross are good enough at their job. His possible involvement could be as the "black hat" tester, trying to manipulate and work around their solutions hence making it possible for them to fix weak spots before the program gets "live" Finally, and possibly most importantly, beta blocker research can do some real good. With goodwill and social capital Enoch and Ross got from the previous success this would be a good time to withdraw. Having a good reputation with their employer, handshakes and "You know where you can find me if needed and *buzzz* back at their ship safe to continue working on their real work. Farhvan with a little request from Sam, which would be a good preamble for that conversation he wanted to have with him in private.

Kaelan warily listened to the information and the scientific applications of it. As the details came out, she grew intrigued... then suddenly worried at the mention of selective alterations. "Are you talking about using eugenics on children?"

Adrian bought what Enoch and Ross were selling, eager to get his hands on the base science. Surely it's depths had yet to be fully plumbed. In what less benign ways might it be used he mused. Perhaps he could get it to function on adults...

The concern aired by the troll didn't really trouble him. If it only worked on the young, what other choice would they have? Anyway, doing away with certain undesirable traits should benefit them in the long run.