Ch 2: Awake from the Dream

wrathgon

kira-mayer-3-4.jpg.8feb1d40c3e2fcc61e099a169a18de3d.jpgJake gives Sammy a slight grin when he became defensive "I am a tactician I will always at least scrutinize the worse case scenario, just to be able to plan for it if nothing else. As for your facts let me look at them from a tactician and even engineering perspective as we have already established I am not a medical doctor, so the actual data means nothing to me. Medical research however would still follow much the same logical flow as any research has been done I would assume. So let me ask some basic questions as well as thoughts over what you have provided me."

He takes a deep breath as he visually collects his thoughts before continuing to speak. "So you say this issue is affecting about seventy percent of the population, I assume you just mean the folks that where in the sim? Also primarily that is the human population, though you have no real way to determine if that is because they are immune to it or because they just have not allowed you to scan them? For me there is a lot of unanswered variables here. First is the issue something that exist in any of the population that has never been in the sim, does the issue only happen to those who are fully in the sim like the vaulters and now our crew of course, or do the folks like my wife who have just interfaced with the sim but were not completely uploaded to the sim also susceptible to this? Also you are going to need to figure out a way to bring the other races into the equation to truly determine if they are immune or as likely to have this issue. Lastly is there any common denominator in the thirty percent who do not seem to have the issue?"

He pauses for a moment before he finishes his thoughts. "I believe if you can get those other variables you will be closer to the answer as to why its happening and likely even a solution as to how you treat it or even fully correct the issue. That is just my thoughts. Like I said I am not a doctor so I can only apply the logic I learned as an engineer and tactician." he looks over to his wife with a thoughtful look "Do you have anything to add dear?

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)

The women you speak to look a bit confused asking "What do you speak of, the changing? It is not anyone but our own DNA! What my husband never explained is why YOU lot are also at risk, a human species light-years away effect in same way also by magic? So dear that i tell you later, that seems to be now don't you think dear?" He eyes fall on her husband expecting only a yes madam

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/bc/b6/67/bcb667b1ff558edf52eb17bc78419f97.jpg

"I'm sorry madam, but we can not be sure of that until lab results are done, DNA naturally changes very slowly on such a large level, for SiM time I would expect 1-5% change, not 70%, so if DNA is changed then that would 100% mean foul play. So I would not jump to that. The contaminant itself would mutate a lot faster, but the contaminant might be both foul play and a simple accident. There is not yet reason to panic just a healthy dose of precaution."

OOC: @wrathgon I Rolled 30 on Perception outside to check for possible danger and any additives with Sam's darkvision Also, 25 on Sense Motive for Jake's wife to see is her reaction is feigned or true. What are the results please?

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

no danger other than the guards

disbelief of your research

"I can see that Jake's ego has competition in the crew, we already know the cause of the Meta-Human change, we have been studying for over 20,000 years with the same lab equipment you are waiting on, you want to waste your resources getting the same answers i am not here to stop you. I noticed my question was conveniently avoided though...."

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/bc/b6/67/bcb667b1ff558edf52eb17bc78419f97.jpg

"Madam Jake certainly has competitions about ego, and I'm thinking he married it because he missed me. I never mentioned that I'm doing anything about Meta DNA, actually several times during this conversation I mentioned I never had contact with meta Humans, and why for seven suns love Olea 22598 constellation I would be even interested in their DNA. Too bad that while he found someone who eclipsed me on ego level he failed miserably on intelligence level. If you were looking after things I find it lucky your immune system is failing because in breaks while you were trying to shove a fork in the outlet and see pretty lights again you might as well see more pretty lights at the consoles. I consider your kind lucky it awoke at all. And since I AM a great proponent of natural selection I'll drop by to naturally select 30% of you that survived."

He snorts while walking out "Spent 20000 years researching Metahumans, Jesus Leonardo Da Tarantino e Rodrigues Chris Cornell. Next species will try to wow me with Pythagoras's theorem. Infinite space my ass. Imbecile, next to imbecile. If I flap hard enough I might reach Earth." *sound of the door closing* As soon out the door Samuel dashes to first shadow and turns to mist and floats upward until he mixes with whatever vapor is lowest, mist, smoke from fire, whatever just something where mist can blend in. and stays there for a while looking around for deepest darkest forest he can see.

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

Farhvan.jpg.9e42a5d6cd2208109482a6f84ff41a25.jpg Farhvan had been in the middle of a few scheduled examinations when he received Jake's invitation and did his best to both sanitize and make himself somewhat presentable. "Sorry for the delay Jake. I was in the middle of an examination and thought it best not to get my patients' germs all over your house." He broke into a broad grin. "I must say, I don't know what they were paying folks for military work in the SIM but if it netted you a set up like this enlisting might have been a decent idea."

OOC/Mechanics

kira-mayer-3-4.jpg.8feb1d40c3e2fcc61e099a169a18de3d.jpgSammy's outburst irritated Jake. Though he stormed out before Jake could go off on him. He gives his wife a look "I apologize for him, his filter is a bit broken. He does not deal with people very much, which is strange seeing he is a doctor."

He smiles as Farhvan shows up and chuckles when he thought that his time in the military afforded him this luxury. "I assure you Doc, even being a high general does not get you this." He motions towards his wife "Let me introduce you to my wife the Baronet Elhana Davis-Roberts, Honey this Doc. I assure you, he has a much better bedside manner than Sammy." he glances back at Farhvan "Sadly my wife met Sammy in one of his more snippy moments. You just missed him. He was actually the reason I invited you here, as he had found some data that was concerning to him." he then goes into detail as to the nature of his findings.

image.png.329c2e551630308bfa79045c90403ef7.png

The troll, with movements at odds with its size, hurried through the Vaulter enclave. Its savage appearance suggested brute strength, but its attire spoke of a lab technician, a stark contrast. Despite its black eyes, the troll carried a keen intelligence, an uncommon trait among its kind.

Lost in her thoughts, Prax was oblivious to its approach until she was suddenly hoisted up by its large hands, forced to meet its gaze.

Anger laced the troll's words as it shouted at the raised human, "Why haven't you been picking up or answering your messages? Damn you, I know you're getting them. You still got your 'ware in your head." One of its taloned fingers impatiently tapped against the metal at the base of her skull. The troll shook her violently. "Answer me!"

Shock filled Prax's wide eyes. The unexpected physical contact and being lifted caused alarms to be set off in her mind. Had the metahumans begun an uprising? Despite the troll's anger, Prax sensed undertones of fear and concern. The name on the lab coat caught her attention. "Kaelan...?" Realization dawned on her. Studying the troll's appearance, she couldn't miss the subtle resemblances between the troll before her and the aspiring biotech engineer she'd known for years. "Kaelan... I didn't know it was you... When did you... change so much?" Her words conveyed unease, which seemed to quell the troll's anger.

At Prax's words, Kaelan truly registered the situation. Her friend was dangling in her hands, emanating fear. Coming to her senses, Kaelan gasped, "Oh, stars," as her hands released Prax, who fell unceremoniously to the floor. Kaelan lunged to help, bumping into furniture, still not fully accustomed to her new form. "Rina, I'm so sorry. It's this transformation, I can't control myself sometimes. I've felt anger before, enough to want to break something. Now I fear what I might do..." Groaning, Prax tried to stand or at least reach a chair. A large hand grabbed her shoulder, helping her back up.

Still not sure what was going on, Prax asked a question in a concerned tone, "What has you all worked up?"

On 11/16/2023 at 6:02 AM, Sohala said:
spacer.png

The troll, with movements at odds with its size, hurried through the Vaulter enclave. Its savage appearance suggested brute strength, but its attire spoke of a lab technician, a stark contrast. Despite its black eyes, the troll carried a keen intelligence, an uncommon trait among its kind.

Lost in her thoughts, Prax was oblivious to its approach until she was suddenly hoisted up by its large hands, forced to meet its gaze.

Anger laced the troll's words as it shouted at the raised human, "Why haven't you been picking up or answering your messages? Damn you, I know you're getting them. You still got your 'ware in your head." One of its taloned fingers impatiently tapped against the metal at the base of her skull. The troll shook her violently. "Answer me!"

Shock filled Prax's wide eyes. The unexpected physical contact and being lifted caused alarms to be set off in her mind. Had the metahumans begun an uprising? Despite the troll's anger, Prax sensed undertones of fear and concern. The name on the lab coat caught her attention. "Kaelan...?" Realization dawned on her. Studying the troll's appearance, she couldn't miss the subtle resemblances between the troll before her and the aspiring biotech engineer she'd known for years. "Kaelan... I didn't know it was you... When did you... change so much?" Her words conveyed unease, which seemed to quell the troll's anger.

At Prax's words, Kaelan truly registered the situation. Her friend was dangling in her hands, emanating fear. Coming to her senses, Kaelan gasped, "Oh, stars," as her hands released Prax, who fell unceremoniously to the floor. Kaelan lunged to help, bumping into furniture, still not fully accustomed to her new form. "Rina, I'm so sorry. It's this transformation, I can't control myself sometimes. I've felt anger before, enough to want to break something. Now I fear what I might do..." Groaning, Prax tried to stand or at least reach a chair. A large hand grabbed her shoulder, helping her back up.

Still not sure what was going on, Prax asked a question in a concerned tone, "What has you all worked up?"

"Those bastards started to purge our AIs off the system, bloody racist scum, if you have not voted yet I hope you dont to vote join these BARBARIANS!" she yells after the tech she just ejected

image.png.329c2e551630308bfa79045c90403ef7.png

Wallowing in a swamp of her own disillusionment, this declaration was like being bodily yanked out of it. Prax inwardly chuckled at the mental comparison with the past few seconds and how true it might actually be. She'd indulged in philosophical inaction for long enough; maybe even too long at this point... Visibly disheartened, but with the fire of life returning to her eyes, she squared her shoulders and looked seriously at her friend, "I don't know if either is the right choice for us, but we should at least protect those that protected us for so long," She reached up and touched the troll's shoulder, "Show me how they got in." Getting to areas needed to directly attack their digital stewards shouldn't have been as simple as walking into their enclave. This vulnerability would need to be dealt with if they hoped to fend off similar intrusions.

Farhvan.jpg.9e42a5d6cd2208109482a6f84ff41a25.jpg Farhvan greeted the Baronet with all due respect. "It's a pleasure to meet you, I hope Jake here hasn't proven to be too much of a handful." His expression soured slightly at the mention of Samuel and then the information that the vampiric doctor had brought to light. "Samuel's personality can be an acquired taste, but given what he stumbled across I can't say I would have been in a much better mood. Still, that's only if it turns out do be something deliberate. In any kind of closed system like the vault things like this aren't necessarily unlikely." He tapped his foot absently as he considered. "Still, aside from making people aware of the increased risk, especially if people decide to leave the area, I'm not certain we should get too involved with this. I'm all for helping to treat those in need, but without any solid evidence of a nefarious plot or anything I don't know if we want to rock the boat here."

OOC/Mechanics

(sorry of taking so long to reply, I got caught up with work stuff)

Enoch is slow to join the others, not caring for the politics going on here. He arrives at Jake's place as Farhvan is talking about plots. "You can get involved in politics if you want, but that's a sure fire way to draw attention to yourself. We need to find our ship, scavenge, buy, or steal any tech we think will help us, and then get on with our mission. We're all contractually bound still, don't forget.

All of this alongside the possibility of having had surreptitious devices ,scans, or forms of tracking placed upon or in us while were were in the SIM itself.

That being said, I'm not opposed to tenuous alliances if they get us closer to our goals."