Questions

Blaeringr

@foltor I'm open to a lot here. I think the whole play by post format lends extremely well to campaigns where the GM responds to and improvises off of what the players do. That kind of thing requires prep and practice to do well in a live game, but PbP is perfect for it.

Founding a kingdom I would expect to be a gradual, complicated process, and we may need to figure out a lot of the rules as we go, but again, I'm open to that if it becomes a group goal.

Specifically on the issue of killind and becoming gods, it works a bit differently in my setting: the gods are rarely precise individuals. The most epic part of the souls of great people become higher beings in the afterlife, maybe even adding to the essence of gods. I think the biggest narrative opportunity there is either becoming a new god, or becoming a god like creature (think great old ones kind of beings).

As far as unraveling the mysteries of the Green, I'd enjoy players pursuing that goal, but it's not necessary.

The campaign will have forces going about their business in the background; the political groups I mention in the setting info (still a work in progress), and others to be revealed.

It may seem like a broad and ambitious campaign design, but I hope it works out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually, if I could give a suggestion on what a "kingdom founding" process would look like, perhaps we could use the Kingmaker PF2E module as a point of reference? It has a whole system of sorts on its own specifically for that if we all are willing to give it a try.

@Pringles192737 the kingmaker system is a good start, but it certainly has its flaws. For example the benefits/buffs your kingdom gains from upgrading settlements - it gains all the benefits for the whole kingdom for upgrades made in the capital vs only regional benefits for the same upgrades in other towns. Result: there's no point in upgrading anywhere but the capital.

But more importantly, running all the rules for kingdom building for kingmaker is really a whole game unto itself. I'm hoping to take a more rules light approach.

Anyways, I don't expect to get to full kingdom building with level 1 characters. We'll start with reinforcing the existing small towns, and look into where the population will even come from once such settlements are secure, and go from there. If players really want to see a serious kingdom, we may have to discuss a multi-generational plot. Or kingdoms can be small too. Or find somewhere in the vast new world with lots of people looking to re-settle.

Btw, since most modules have a player's guide that essentially has a "Recommended list" of languages, skills and classes that would fare especially well in the campaign, what would be the equivalent here? Like what classes, skills, languages and ancestries would be recommended and get decent mileage in the campaign?

@Pringles192737 languages: Vedan will be the common language, and others for now just the usual race associated languages.

@Lex Samreeth gnolls in this setting, as well as lizardfolk, catfolk, kitsune, grippli, and maybe some others mostly ended up on this world in smaller communities - groups of villages. Where they came from is another mystery of the Green I wish to explore with our story, especially if we have such characters in this group.

In regards to any new content brought on by say remasters or new books like Season of Ghosts bringing in new spells and such, will we be permitted to use them should they crop up in the campaign?

Also, referring to the modified rules of "Automatic bonus progression", could you elaborate on what that means exactly?

18 minutes ago, Pringles192737 said:

In regards to any new content brought on by say remasters or new books like Season of Ghosts bringing in new spells and such, will we be permitted to use them should they crop up in the campaign?

Also, referring to the modified rules of "Automatic bonus progression", could you elaborate on what that means exactly?

Sure.

Automatic bonus progression means I modify the loot the party gets - fewer magical weapons and armor especially, but you automatically gain related bonuses as you level up. Full details here: https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=1357

If you are using pathbuilder for your character sheet it has an option you can check to enable ABP, and another box you can check to enable free archetype.

5 hours ago, Blaeringr said:

Sure.

Automatic bonus progression means I modify the loot the party gets - fewer magical weapons and armor especially, but you automatically gain related bonuses as you level up. Full details here: https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=1357

If you are using pathbuilder for your character sheet it has an option you can check to enable ABP, and another box you can check to enable free archetype.

Here is a great video that describes and discusses ABP. I've watched many of his vids and they are very informative.

https://youtu.be/pJUbptXBoBE?si=lSVVO3diLk3CPkvE

Do all of these displaced peoples come from the same world?

How long ago was the Great Upheaval?

Parts of the description of Veda read like it was part of the Laran Empire on [world of origin], and then the whole region got transported to Orona; other parts read like the Laran Empire is a presence on Orona. Which is it?

@foltor no, mostly from different worlds. Maybe even other planes...

20 years ago.

The former. The Laran empire exists on another world, now minus Veda. I'll check the write up and try to clear up any confusion. Perhaps add names of origin worlds to each.

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Blaeringr said:

@foltor no, mostly from different worlds. Maybe even other planes...

20 years ago.

The former. The Laran empire exists on another world, now minus Veda. I'll check the write up and try to clear up any confusion. Perhaps add names of origin worlds to each.

good to know. I've updated the age of my character to be in line with this.

2 hours ago, Pringles192737 said:

BTW, what kind of app or software do you use to make the maps?

Hand drawn to start. I scan them, then used Gimp to tweek the contrast, and quick paint bucket to fill the water.

I used Gimp again to add a hex graph to the overall map. Then I zoom in and roughly hand trace the smaller regions off my monitor onto paper, including hexes, then put the paper on my desk and work out the details more.