Chapter 1: In Pursuit

Primeval Stasis

spacer.png

Grisella dismounts, one hand digging a handful of jerky out of her pack, the other drawing her shepherd's crook. She begins walking toward the dogs fearlessly, one hand outstretched. "Hyah there!" she calls, to get the their attention. "Come away from that! And heel, you curs! Ye can obey and have a taste of good meat, or ye can growl and have a taste of hickory. What'll it be?"

Name
Willpower(3)
1d6 4
Reflexes(1)
1d6 5

Grisella was making enough noise to distract or scare off the dog. Predators were more cowardly than one might think, Moss had learned from his time as a herder. They wanted food, not a fight, that was the rule. A wounded traveler had much to fear, but the likes of them? Not so much, Moss figured.

Still, Moss ran forward, bent over to retrieve a stone, and hurled it at the beast's ribs. That was something it could understand.

Name
Fitness (3)
1d6 3

Shrew stares at the scene before them and feels a surge of nausea. It passes quick, but leaves them feeling decidedly off. They dismount and remove their sword from its sheath with a shaky hand. This didn't seem like a trap to them after all, but they are not ready to confront more dead bodies this soon. They move to put themselves and their blade between the fallen people and the dogs. Without realizing it they begin to growl through clenched teeth at the beasts.

Name
Willpower (2)
1d6 3

The dogs' heads snap up as Grisella starts forward. Their muzzles bristle and their ears twitch in confusion. Clearly mangy and thin, they draw close together to defend their catch.

Moss's stone sails out from behind Grisella, smacking a dog on the flank. It whimpers and turns to run. The other snarls and darts toward Grisella. Just then, Shrew catches up, growling and bearing their sword. Though neither figure is fully effective on their own, the two are more than enough to send it running through the forest and into the fields beyond.

"Who's there?" croaks the surviving man. His voice is dry and feint.

image.jpeg.cce4cc379a04c4525c9653ca1bf69d15.jpegHandyman Dan | F:1 R:2 A:2 I:2 W:1
BACKGROUND: Undercover Lover | HP: 12

Dan freezes, clutching the reins of his horse while the others jump to the defense of the injured old man. A more macho man would be embarrassed by this reaction, but Dan knows fear is the only sensible response to mortal danger. He looks around at the others, and the widespread carnage, wondering to himself, "What in the hell have I gotten myself into?"

Stumbling down off of his horse now that the coast is clear, Dan approaches the old man, his borrowed healer's kit grasped tightly, ready to bolt at the first sign of danger.

He kneels beside the man, looking over his injuries. "We're friends. You're safe now. What happened here, old timer?"

Show Inventory

• Semvaline's dagger
  • A basic horse with saddlebags
  • A backpack
  • A walking stick
  • 7 days rations
  • A canteen
  • A lantern with oil and fire striker
  • A bedroll
  • A healer's kit (a gift from Esiel). The pouch was given to her by her teacher, so she is passing it on to you, along with medicines she made herself, a small knife, and some bandages.
  • An herbal guide (a gift from Esiel). I'll give a bonus to any rolls to find herbs or make rudimentary medicines from them.

Edited by CharmingSatyr (see edit history)

Moss climbs up on the wagon to get a sense of the surroundings from a slightly higher perch. It seemed like Dan had the old man well in hand, and crowding a wounded person would do more harm than good. He looked for signs of an ambush or some other struggle. He doubted some feral dogs had did all this. Likely they had merely decided to pounce on the wounded and the dead after the assailants had departed.

• 2 weeks later...

The man groans as Dan approaches. a bloodied hand reaches up. "They-" he coughs, "they came at us in the night... Took out horses and killed- killed everyone... Thought I was... They had kids with them... Tried..."

Dan can see the man is bruised and cut up in a number of places. The worst is a deep gash in his side. His shirt is dark red and slick.

OOC

Go ahead and make an Int roll and a reflexes roll if you want to try to save him. You can get a plus 1 to the rolls if you get any help.

Grisella finds no dangers as she circles the broken camp. Now that the dogs have left, birds are starting to come in closer. She is able to shoo some away.

OOC

While you're out there, you can make an awareness roll if you want. Either to try to find something related to the struggle, or to see if there is anything helpful in general (roll with +1 for this).

As Moss clambers onto the broken wagon, Shrew circles its base. Poking through some sacks and cloths fallen to the wayside, they hear a scared gasp. A child's wide eyes peek out from under cover.

From his vantage point, Moss can tell that something more than dogs did indeed cause this. Horseshoe-prints are everywhere.

His eyes land on a piece of bark left on the wagon. Scrawled in charcoal are the words, "We are alive." He would bet anything that the penmanship is Bart's - just now learning to write.

"Over here! I found another!" Shrew shouts to the others. They scramble out of the saddle as quickly as they can, nearly falling on their face. They dig as quickly as they can to the child. "Don't worry. No one is going to hurt you here. Please let me help you," they say breathlessly.

image.jpeg.cce4cc379a04c4525c9653ca1bf69d15.jpegHandyman Dan | F:1 R:2 A:2 I:2 W:1

"Hold still," he tries to calm the injured man. "We got you."

The healer's kit from Esiel steadies his hands and his nerves as he gets to work on the old man. While not the clean and quiet basement that he trained in, the kit serves as a reminder that he's done this before, and can do it again.

Show Inventory

• Semvaline's dagger
  • A backpack
  • A walking stick
  • 7 days rations
  • A canteen
  • A bedroll
  • A healer's kit (a gift from Esiel). The pouch was given to her by her teacher, so she is passing it on to you, along with medicines she made herself, a small knife, and some bandages.
  • An herbal guide (a gift from Esiel). I'll give a bonus to any rolls to find herbs or make rudimentary medicines from them.
Name
Intelligence (2)
1d6 2
Reflexes (2)
1d6 5

spacer.png

While the others tend to the injured man, Grisella pokes at the ruins with her staff. When the child is discovered, she heads over to Shrew and lays a hand on their shoulder. "Easy. I don't think they're hurt, just hiding. Will you come out now, child? We're friends."

Name
Awareness (1)
1d6 4

Moss cursed. Too bloody late, that we are. My guess and I would put good coin on such a wager is that the bandits came through here and ransacked these poor souls just because they were there and they had horses. And now the bandits have more mounts among their number. Not good.

My lad did leave a token behind though. "We are alive." So both Bart himself lives, and most if not all the others who were taken as well. That is some consolation. But what the blazes do we do with the kid? My vote is to ride hard with the kid to the next town, and see that he is taken care of there. No doubt some of these folks knew somebody there. What an accursed mess these days are.

Seeing things aren't quite going the way he planned, Dan calls out for assistance, "I could use another pair of hands over here!"

Show Inventory

• Semvaline's dagger
  • A backpack
  • A walking stick
  • 7 days rations
  • A canteen
  • A bedroll

Shoot, I can lend you a hand. Never was much good with medicine beyond the basics but I can hold what you say to hold and tie down what you say to tie down, things like that, answers Moss as he clambers down from his perch to give Dan a hand.