Chapter 1: In Pursuit

Primeval Stasis

On 11/29/2023 at 5:14 PM, matt_s said:

But what the blazes do we do with the kid? My vote is to ride hard with the kid to the next town, and see that he is taken care of there. No doubt some of these folks knew somebody there.

Shrew looks up at Moss' suggestion. "I can share my horse. Surely I'm the lightest of us and my horse will least mind the extra weight... For whatever that's worth." They continue to kneel and coax the child out from their hiding place.

The child displays some hesitation upon seeing Shrew. But when Grisella shows her face, they perk up a little. Slowly, the two are able to coax her out. It turns out to be Abil, a young girl from Boumoth - the town they just set out from.

She runs to Grisella and hugs her leg, crying. "I hid," she explains between sobs.

An extra hand ends up being all that Dan needs. Despite not being experienced in medicine, Moss's experiencing in keeping a level head around blood pays off. He is still in critical shape, but Dan is able to stabilize him enough to move. If he gets help soon, he should be ok.

spacer.png

Grisella awkwardly picks up the girl. Her weight is easy enough to manage, but Grisella is obviously not familiar with children. After a moment, she sets the girl back down. "You've done good, child. That was the right thing. Have a sip of water and a mouthful of food and when you can, tell us what you know."

To the others, she says, "That one will need to convalesce. We can set them both on Shrew's horse and send them back to town, aye? Shrew can ride on Dory with me. That horse is as dumb as an anvil, but he doesn't seem to mind the weight."

Aye, for a short time we can double up on the horses. Time is short and we best hurry. Hopefully we can press on the folks in the next town to return and give the fallen the funeral rites they deserve. And perhaps the next town, they have news of the brigands? The brigands I suspect would have tried to slip around major dwellings or ride through by the dark of night to avoid a confrontation. But in that we shall see.

image.jpeg.cce4cc379a04c4525c9653ca1bf69d15.jpegHandyman Dan | F:1 R:2 A:2 I:2 W:1
BACKGROUND: Undercover Lover | HP: 12

"The old man was in pretty bad shape," Dan states to nobody in particular, clutching his medicine bag to his chest. "Maybe I should go back with them. Then maybe catch up with you guys later? After I know they're safe?"

Show Inventory

• Semvaline's dagger
  • A basic horse with saddlebags
  • A backpack
  • A walking stick
  • 7 days rations
  • A canteen
  • A lantern with oil and fire striker
  • A bedroll
  • A healer's kit (a gift from Esiel). The pouch was given to her by her teacher, so she is passing it on to you, along with medicines she made herself, a small knife, and some bandages.
  • An herbal guide (a gift from Esiel). I'll give a bonus to any rolls to find herbs or make rudimentary medicines from them.

Moss said in response,

You must choose your path for yourself just as everyone must. You have done well mending this man. If horseback would prove too perilous, with some effort and perhaps an acceptable delay we can rig up one of those wagons to a few of these horses and give him a more comfortable ride. We should take him up the road in the direction of our travel. I don't recognize these folks, what about you?

oocdo we recognize these people, are they dressed as locals/same region, etc.?

Shrew gets a clean tunic from their bag and offers it to Abil. It was a bit big for her, but certainly better than the stained and torn clothing she had now. "If we're puttin' this up to a vote I say we try to get a wagon set up for the old man and Abil. I certainly would rather we take them with us if we can. At least until we can find more help for them." They pause and look thoughtfully at Moss. "Though I understand sir if you want to move fast. One of us could ride with the wagon while the rest go ahead."

image.jpeg.cce4cc379a04c4525c9653ca1bf69d15.jpegHandyman Dan | F:1 R:2 A:2 I:2 W:1

"I - I don't know if taking them with us us the best idea. The old man's barely holding himself together, and the wagon will slow us down."

"Just think about those poor children," he pleads, his tone turning emphatic as he sees his means of escape slipping through his fingers.

Show Inventory

• Semvaline's dagger
  • A backpack
  • A walking stick
  • 7 days rations
  • A canteen
  • A bedroll
  • A healer's kit (a gift from Esiel). The pouch was given to her by her teacher, so she is passing it on to you, along with medicines she made herself, a small knife, and some bandages.
  • An herbal guide (a gift from Esiel). I'll give a bonus to any rolls to find herbs or make rudimentary medicines from them.

Edited by CharmingSatyr (see edit history)
Name
Intelligence
1d6 2

spacer.png

"I'd rather send them back than bring them with us. It's Abil's home, and I think it best not to bring an injured man toward what might be bloody work."

Grisella gives Dan a dark look. "And of course, we have to think of the children. The ones still in the raiders' clutches, especially. That need our help most of all. Aye?"

Sensing a growing consensus to bring the two survivors with them, Dan changes tactics to achieve his personal goal of staying out of danger. Taking a stick he draws a rough map in the dirt.

"We're about here -- more or less the same distance between these two towns here. We're headed towards Sardel, a slightly larger, walled-off town. I haven't been there personally -- I had some bad experiences in walled-cities so I tend to avoid them. But raiders like easy targets, which means they'll leave Sardel alone until they're desperate, or they can be assured of an easy victory."

"Let's bring the old man and the kid with us. They'll be safe there, and can send word back to their families. Yes, it'll slow us down, but it's better than sending off a child and an old man off to die alone in the woods."

Show Inventory

• Semvaline's dagger
  • A backpack
  • A walking stick
  • 7 days rations
  • A canteen
  • A bedroll

Edited by Primeval Stasis
Made a change to the town name - Boumoth was the town you're coming from (see edit history)

Shrew looks at Dan's map and nods. "Worse case if we find any sign of danger ahead of us I will stay back with the wagon while you all go ahead and investigate." They shrug and put a hand on their sword. "We all know I'm probably the worst with the blade of all of us. I'd probably only be getting in the way anyway if it comes to fighting again..." With another shrug they move to the wagon and begin doing what they can to get it moving again.

With some teamwork, a plan is set in motion. Shrew and Grisella put the wagon back into something of a working condition and hitch it to a horse, while Dan and Moss finish prepping the man to be moved. Within an hour, they are ready to leave.

Abil looks up at the adults with big eyes. "Go home?" she asks, both hopeful and haunted.