The Web of All Torment - OOC

cailano

7 minutes ago, TheMightyDeeEmm said:

Oooh, what spell are you planning on casting?

Invoke Patron. Spellburn 20 points to guarantee critical hit on the spell check, +4 for a result of 24. That is enough to have Sezrekan teleport us 5d100 miles away. It'll leave Shaun absolutely wrecked for the rest of the game but hey, we'd be safe.. for a time.

Assuming Invoke Patron works, of course 😅

Interesting plan. Would be one hell of a way too get us out...assuming the giant spider isn't also a deity with the ability to block your spell.

Be careful what you ask for. You may just be allowed to use spellburn but the spell still fizzle...

Hmmm I ought to actually look and see if there's magic i could try to help us... I've yet to even look at cleric magic lmao.

No guarantees is right! But as cailano put it, here's a situation, described as well as possible, with NPCs doing their thing. It's up to us to think our way through and, well, this is what I got 😅

If it turns out to be all pain for no gain, that sounds like just another day at the real Kozy Kobweb!

@Rakle, @Taigains your thoughts?

11 hours ago, Cairo said:

No guarantees is right! But as cailano put it, here's a situation, described as well as possible, with NPCs doing their thing. It's up to us to think our way through and, well, this is what I got 😅

If it turns out to be all pain for no gain, that sounds like just another day at the real Kozy Kobweb!

@Rakle, @Taigains your thoughts?

I have been wondering what Taigains invike does... maybe tr fates can help as well? I am causious to use more spell burn personally. She is in no need of strength but stamina and agility kinda keep her alive.

In case it wasn't clear, my official vote is "no" on the super-teleport. There's gotta be a better answer here. Though maybe not... I have a sneaky suspicion we won't all make it out of this battle alive. However, if it turns out I can't actually cast any spells because I don't have a holy symbol, I can at least try to heal Chard this round.

@cailano Since all our gear was taken away, but we were left with our clothing, would there be a chance I still have my holy symbol tucked away on my person? Perhaps on a leather strip under my shirt? I'm willing to make it a Luck check if that's what you want.

Second question: Do clerics use their holy symbol as a means of casting their spells like in other RPG systems? I.E. can I or can I not cast spells without one?

I agree with Malkavian, teleporting us possibly hundreds of miles away into a possibly worse situation is probably a very bad idea. But the group of us against two ape-men and a chain-wielding monster woman shouldn’t be too hard of a situation for us to conquer! Come on, team!!!!

On 11/4/2023 at 12:41 PM, Cairo said:

It'll leave Shaun absolutely wrecked for the rest of the game

Actually, not necessarily. I just found the spell Restore Vitality. It wouldn't be a fast fix because I'd have to cast it over and over again and they specifically say it runs the risk of pissing off my God if used to fix spellburn over and over. Nobody likes when Cthulhu is grumpy!

@Malkavian Grin We might need to anger Cthulhu yet! Let's put a pin on that for now.

Thanks for your input everyone, this was one of those "I'll do it if everyone's onboard" things so I'll think of something else for now. And I believe Shaun can go right now, so I'll think of something else fast!

Edit:
Okay now that it makes sense for Shaun to remember how his magic works, I'll have him step back just enough to get Chard (possibly other friendlies too) inside the 15' Breath of Life effect and (hopefully) give the chimps just the Color Spray part of the casting.

This is literally spraying and praying right here.

Posting IC shortly.

@cailano Who would you say are affected if I burn 4 luck and go for this effect -- my target are the demons, but I know I'll get others too:

A blast of colored chaos affects all targets in a cone 40’ long and from 10’ to 30’ wide (caster can decide). All targets, including allies, within the cone take 1d4 damage, are knocked unconscious for 3d4+1 rounds, and awake blinded for another 1d4+1 rounds. Creatures of 2 HD or less receive no save; others can attempt a Will save to resist. Sightless creatures are immune.

Shaun would obviously try to shape the cone to mimimize collateral damage while still getting all of the demons.