The Web of All Torment - OOC

cailano

Welcome to the Web of All Torment, a Dungeon Crawl Classics Horror Adventure.

Just to set the tone, I want to share with you the standard opening blurb that, until very recently, DCC used for all their modules.

Remember the good old days, when adventures were underground, NPCs were there to be killed, and the finale of every dungeon was the dragon on the 20th level? Those days are back. Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures don’t waste your time with long-winded speeches, weird campaign settings, or NPCs who aren’t meant to be killed. Each adventure is 100% good, solid dungeon crawl, with the monsters you know, the traps you remember, and the secret doors you know are there somewhere.

This, in contrast, is the opening blurb from The Web of All-Torment:

Remember the good old days when you had a chance of survival? Monsters had fathomable motivations, the darkness within could be channeled, and the darkness without could be held at bay? Do you remember thinking that a caring God could save you if you just prayed hard enough? Fool! Say goodbye to the light; those days are over forever, and you shall tumble down throughout eternity, alone, hopeless, rent, and ruined. Dungeon Crawl Classics Horror has such sights to show you. Each adventure is 666% evil, with monsters that know what scares you, traps that you create for yourself, and secret doors that lead straight to a hell beyond imagining.

Enjoy the game. 💀

While working at the Kozy Kobweb has been a wonderful experience for all of you, you still have jobs to do! When the proprietor - Ms. Alice - hired you all, she had several open positions. She only needed one of each.

Please choose a position for your character and post your choice below. Note that as soon as a job has been claimed, no one else can claim it!

THE JOBS

Porter - Show guests to their room, help them with their luggage, and ensure they know everything about meal times and when the music starts. The Porter is often the first to hear anything happening at the Kobweb.

Bartender - That ale isn't going to pour itself.

Cook - The kitchen is the heart of the Kobweb, and Ms. Alice's recipes are something special.

Stable Hand - Horses are guests, too!

Scullery - While washing dishes, food, and floors might not sound fun, all jobs at the Kobweb are a joy. The scullery gets to help in the kitchen and in getting rooms ready for new guests and (like the Porter) often hears news early.

Server - Someone has to bring out the food and ale. A great server knows how to keep the guests in line while keeping them happy. Plus, the tips aren't bad.

Gardner - The Kozy Kobweb has such lovely gardens, thanks to you!

Barback - Fetch me that keg, will you? And help get this ale poured!

I think Flitwick would be a (admittedly terrible) Porter. He’s not great with directions, and he rarely carries the customer’s luggage without convincing by management. But he’s charming enough to not get fired.

Edited by TheMightyDeeEmm (see edit history)

Ysabel is the cook. She is trying her best to learn from the master, but she still wants to practice her magic! Your lucky when its only yarn left in the pasta. Just try to forget about when she was trying to learn a fire spell and every plate smelled of sulfer and bat guano.

Edited by Taigains (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Taigains said:

Ysabel is the cook. She is trying her best to learn from the master, but she still wants to practice her magic! Your lucky when its only yarn left in the pasta. Just try to forget about when she was trying to learn a fire spell and every plate smelled of sulfer and bat guano.

I beg to differ. I don't think you want anything to do with practicing magic right now. Those days are behind us. That's why we're settling down at this inn 😎

Shaun's farmer background makes him a good stable hand. His collection of horse hair is better than it ever was, though it's rare that he gets to actually use any of it for magic these days.

@cailano A question about the tone of the game - having read the blurbs you shared at the top of the thread am I correct in assuming that you want our characters to be played like they were real people (admittedly in a fantasy world where "what is real" is different from our own), rather than, say, the cast of Scoopy-Doo or The Addams Family?

13 hours ago, Cairo said:

A question about the tone of the game - having read the blurbs you shared at the top of the thread am I correct in assuming that you want our characters to be played like they were real people (admittedly in a fantasy world where "what is real" is different from our own), rather than, say, the cast of Scoopy-Doo or The Addams Family?

An excellent question! I was wondering the same thing. I’m also assuming it’ll be a bit more realistic, but I’m sure we can be a bit silly to lighten the mood.

It's a horror game, but still a DCC game. I'm not going to play it up for comedy or anything, but there might be a bit of twisted humor inserted now and again.

So, scary, gory, R-rated, but still an RPG and we're here to have fun. Scooby-Doo is probably too silly.

Maybe if The Exorcist and The Evil Dead had a baby???

Let's see how it goes.