Character Creation Questions & Answers

Steel Warrior

Ok not sure I am getting the math here. If he only takes 3 lvls of sorcerer wouldn't he only be a 10th lvl spellcaster or 14th if adding the +4 for the feat. I am sure I am missing something. Where is the 12th lvl coming from? Sorry I honestly rarely play spell casters so they are not my strongest knowledge. Though I think they will be interesting to play once built.

26 minutes ago, darlis moonbeam said:

Ok not sure I am getting the math here. If he only takes 3 lvls of sorcerer wouldn't he only be a 10th lvl spellcaster or 14th if adding the +4 for the feat. I am sure I am missing something. Where is the 12th lvl coming from? Sorry I honestly rarely play spell casters so they are not my strongest knowledge. Though I think they will be interesting to play once built.

Character Creation

32pt for stats

Level 12

Anyways, this is a 12th level game.

Couatl only has 9 racial HD and LA +3 with the RLA adjustment. Instead of LA +7. Your character only casts as a 9th level caster.
So you have 3 dead levels in a sense, even using savage progression. If you are using the reduced LA from the RLA, then you would be following the savage progression from the link provided in the character creation page. This is a 12th level game, So you have your 12 levels of monster || 12 class levels.
My comment about you taking 3 sorcerer levels on your class side to make up for the LA +3 on your Couatl has nothing to do with practiced spellcaster.
I was offering you a way to have full 12 levels of sorcerer pretty much. At the bottom is the savage progression of Coutl and you see 2nd, 6th and 10th it has a - for Bab and Saves, but that also means you get no racial HD for those levels.

Link here

Hit Dice:     9d8+18 (58 hp)
Spells

A couatl casts spells as a 9th-level sorcerer.

It can choose its spells known from the sorcerer list, the cleric list, and from the lists for the Air, Good, and Law domains. The cleric spells and domain Spells are considered arcane spells for a couatl, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.

Starting Features & Traits:
Size and Type: Medium Outsider (Native)
Speed: 20 ft, Fly 40 ft (average)
Special Abilities: Darkvision 60 ft

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1.00 +2.50 +2.50 +2.50 Bite 1d3, detect SLA's (at will), invisibility 1/day, Sorcerer CL 1st, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +1 natural armor
2 - - - - Change Shape, Improved Grab, Poison (1d4 Str), Telepathy 30 ft, +2 Str, +2 Cha
3 +2.00 +3.00 +3.00 +3.00 Constrict 1d6, Fly 60 ft (average), invisibility 3/day, Sorcerer CL 2nd, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +1 natural armor
4 +3.00 +3.50 +3.50 +3.50 Poison (1d4/2d4 Str), Sorcerer CL 3rd, +2 Wis, +1 natural armor
5 +4.00 +4.00 +4.00 +4.00 Constrict 2d6, Sorcerer CL 4th, Telepathy 60 ft, +2 Str, +2 Int, +1 natural armor
6 - - - - invisibility (at will), Large, Poison (2d4/3d4 Str), +2 Dex, +2 Cha
7 +5.00 +4.50 +4.50 +4.50 Constrict 2d8, Fly 80 ft (average), Sorcerer CL 5th, +2 Con, +2 Wis, +1 natural armor
8 +6.00 +5.00 +5.00 +5.00 ethereal jaunt 1/day, Poison (2d4/4d4 Str), Sorcerer CL 6th, +2 Str, +1 natural armor
9 +7.00 +5.50 +5.50 +5.50 plane shift 1/day, Sorcerer CL 7th, Telepathy 90 ft, +2 Int, +1 natural armor
10 - - - - ethereal jaunt 3/day, plan shift 3/day, +2 Dex, +2 Wis
11 +8.00 +6.00 +6.00 +6.00 Fly 80 ft (good), Sorcerer CL 8th, +2 Str, +1 natural armor
12 +9.00 +6.50 +6.50 +6.50 ethereal jaunt (at will), plane shift (at will), Sorcerer CL 9th, +2 Cha, +1 natural armor

Class Features
Hit Dice: d8
Skill Pts:: 8 + Int modifier
Class Skill List: Concentration, Diplomacy, Jump, Knowledge (all), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Tumble Use Magic Device
Weapon & Armor Proficiencies: A couatl is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as its natural weapons. It is not proficient with any type of armor or shields.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, darlis moonbeam said:

I will need to think about it. I think I took planar rogue for 6th lvl to get breach sense to know when someone has teleported near him. Which I think will be pretty useful

I've also added to the character creation page that you need to include a level breakdown. As GM's we need to see your work and how you got your class skills, feats and abilities laid out. They can be on a character sheet, but it's easier to read on a forum if they are in one space in order. So I created an example post for the breakdown. I don't require you to break down what skills you took per level, just class abilities, saves and spells per day (not including bonus spells from stat bonuses)

You would still get planar rogue, but at 8th character level instead.
1st: Rogue 1
2nd: Sorcerer 1
3rd: Rogue 2
4th: Rogue 3
5th: Rogue 4
6th: Sorcerer 2
7th: Rogue 5
8th: Rogue 6 (planar rogue ability)
9th: Rogue 7
10th: Sorcerer 3
11th: Rogue 8
12th: Rogue 9

23 minutes ago, darlis moonbeam said:

I saw that post but does not look like it let's you clone it since thread is locked.

Just highlight the grid, then CTRL + C (to copy)

Table: Gestalt 1: | Gestalt 2:

Level Base
Attack Bonus
Fort
Save
Ref
Save
Will
Save
Special Spells per Day
0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
1st +1 +2 +2 +2      

2nd +2 +3 +3 +3      

3rd +3 +3 +3 +3        

4th +4 +4 +4 +4        

5th +5 +4 +4 +4          

6th +6 +5 +5 +5    

7th +7 +5 +5 +5    

8th +8 +6 +6 +6    

9th +9 +6 +6 +6    

10th +10 +7 +7 +7              

11th +11 +7 +7 +7    

12th +12 +8 +8 +8                

7 minutes ago, TheBard101 said:

I had my own format for years to do this.... and you go and make a better one. *sigh*

I had lots of trial and error since I was getting used to this site. I learned you can copy/paste the formats from the individual classes on the SRD's I visit.
The extra work comes with adding an extra row below each level, and merging lvl, bab, saves, so they take up one cell each, leaving 2 spaces for special.
I have merged cells up/down, and left/right in case you have spell casting from one class, and maneuvers/stances from another class :).

17 minutes ago, Steel Warrior said:

I had lots of trial and error since I was getting used to this site. I learned you can copy/paste the formats from the individual classes on the SRD's I visit.
The extra work comes with adding an extra row below each level, and merging lvl, bab, saves, so they take up one cell each, leaving 2 spaces for special.
I have merged cells up/down, and left/right in case you have spell casting from one class, and maneuvers/stances from another class :).

And how do I use it? Just copy/paste and I can put two different classes in?

13 minutes ago, darlis moonbeam said:

This is always the part that I suck at for Gestalt. Calculating the bab, and the Saves. Do you get the +2 for new class each time you have a new class?

Most of the time they say that the +2 is only once per class. That's to stop people from dipping just to get the massive bonus. But it isn't my call and I don't see anyone here as the type to min/max like that. LOL

Well, the good news is outsiders are full bab. So you automatically get your racial HD as 1:1 in bab and most have all good saves."

I personally prefer the pathfinder's Gestalt Rules. You only get the +2 Good bonus once in each save. So you can't have Fighter 1, Barb 1, Paladin 1, Monk 1 and have +8 Fort at 4th level. At most, it would be +4 Fort at 4th for a good save.

Be sure and check out the level break down for your race too. Astral Deva, for example, does NOT get a BAB or Save increase at level 4 and 11. I didn't notice until I was filling out the sheet. Lucky for me, my class at those levels does. hehe