Character Creation Questions & Answers

Steel Warrior

I am kinda thinking Couatl using the RLA progression for them for the 12 levels on the Racial side and probably rogue on the class side. Though I do have a question around alignment as the RLA progression entry does not state it for the Couatl though it does for other entries though I know elsewhere the Couatl has a strict alignment requirement. If using the RLA progression do I need to follow a specific alignment for them?

On 10/11/2023 at 5:09 PM, darlis moonbeam said:

I am kinda thinking Couatl using the RLA progression for them for the 12 levels on the Racial side and probably rogue on the class side. Though I do have a question around alignment as the RLA progression entry does not state it for the Couatl though it does for other entries though I know elsewhere the Couatl has a strict alignment requirement. If using the RLA progression do I need to follow a specific alignment for them?

By default they lawful good. How is this one different and being a resident of the abyss?

They were battling demon-lords and got stuck in the Abyss. Having been stuck in the Abyss for so long while still good they are leaning more neutral than lawful realizing that they needed to be more flexible if they were going to survive. Though having planar shift may have to think about how they are being blocked from leaving that plane.

On 10/11/2023 at 5:29 PM, darlis moonbeam said:

They were battling demon-lords and got stuck in the Abyss. Having been stuck in the Abyss for so long while still good they are leaning more neutral than lawful realizing that they needed to be more flexible if they were going to survive.

There's a good chance the party will be leaning towards CE (demon alignment), but we expect players to get along for the most part. :) If PR is ok with it, then that's fine. I was envisioning a more devious design in player apps. That's why I was opening up other sources (books) for demons or abyssals that don't have LA as an option and then figure out the LA. Seeing that they kept the Coutl at LA +3 because full caster for it's HD.

+3 I thought Couatl were at least +7 and the RLA progresses it across 12 levels?

I think he could work with evil characters, thinking of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. As long as they are not murdering babies he can probably be a little more morally flexible. He will be a rogue for his class, so he will be aiming for bring down the demon lords who are the most evil while also working on an escape from the Abyss. He will most likely appear as a winged fallen aasimar. Though obviously if anything looked on them with true sight will know them for what they are.

23 hours ago, darlis moonbeam said:

+3 I thought Couatl were at least +7 and the RLA progresses it across 12 levels?

I think he could work with evil characters, thinking of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. As long as they are not murdering babies he can probably be a little more morally flexible. He will be a rogue for his class, so he will be aiming for bring down the demon lords who are the most evil while also working on an escape from the Abyss. He will most likely appear as a winged fallen aasimar. Though obviously if anything looked on them with true sight will know them for what they are.

Expand  

In a sense yes? The Default is LA +7 and 9RHD ECL 16, but RLA has lowered the LA to +3 and 9 RHD = ECL 12. As it clearly gets all the racial abilities and good stats, plus 9th level sorcerer casting.

But.. babies are succulent and juicy..

Ok I will wait for Red's buyin and then I will start building my morally ambiguous Couatl rogue.

I am fine with you slipping your alignment to say LN, perhaps you are a spy watching a particular demon lord (which could include Lady Tyss) or you have fallen in love with her (WTF?????) lol.

That could work. I will start working him up.

Lol, I cannot wait lol.

I am about halfway done. Still got some mechanics to work out and then all the fluffy stuff and then I will be done. We got other players coming? Lol

Tell me if I read this right: if we do not use at least 12 levels of LA or RHD, we put nothing in those slots? So, we HAVE to use templates or high LA monster races to get full value of the gestalt?

So, creation rambling:

So, I'm not very good at evil characters. I ban the alignments from my games. I was thinking of a fallen angel type.

Working on the idea brought by the above poster (can't tell it's Steel's idea or the Moonbeam person's idea), I'm thinking another good character trapped in the Abyss that has learned to thrive by slowly bending his morals. He wants to leave and will do almost anything to escape. Most likely he's devolved into True Neutral by now. The original character was NG because he was already rebelling against his lawful superiors in their decisions. It would not be a hard push to slide a little further.

Ohh fallen angel and at least without true sight you think is a fallen aasimar should be interesting. I know Griffenaris will be lawful neutral though his pseudodragon familiar will be Neutral Good. Though he is black so can look bad. Lol he will definitely be a sarcastic smartass for sure.

I just merged posts from the Character Creation thread over to here. I have not said what I was planning to make, to anyone but Paladinred at this time.

Personally I don't have an issue with having non PRC class on the monster side if you have a lower ECL Abyssal inhabitant. You can also choose to add more RHD to the monster side and we can discuss giving it a stat and abilities boost to compensate. Things that make sense.

I don't know every munchkin trick in the book, but if I see munchkins, we will cut their kneecaps off. :) I mean make adjustments.

Paladinred is the GM, I am mostly rules lawyering ;)

I just finished up a 5e campaign about a month ago where we had to locate Azrael's sword and free a city that was teleported into Hell.

Azrael was defeated by Asmodeus and chose to join him, we converted Azreal back to good and returned the sword.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

Side note. I'll let you see an image of my abyssal resident.

Also I was on the fence about using shape change to gain flying, but Paladinred made a point that most abyssal demons can teleport wherever they want, so flight shouldn't be a big deal.

So with that in effect, if you can change shape to a small/medium humanoid, you can also have a fly speed. I will say it's twice your base speed, good, unless you already have flight that says otherwise.

spacer.png

31 minutes ago, TheBard101 said:

Ah, I was going the Astral Deva route because of it. Now, I kind of want to do that anyway. LOL

Also, @TheBard101 if you want to use BBC Code there's the conversion button (in red).

image.png.003568c403d7670392a359b9c5daaa93.png
Sadly it won't copy over all of tables properly using that format.
Easiest way to accomplish copy/pasting is to copy/paste the post itself "select all" and then pasting it just like that into the post in your character thread :)

If you want to play a true fallen angel, I think it would be cool if you reversed the spell-like abilities they gain. :)

If you do want the "evil route"

Type: Medium Outsider (Angel, Extraplanar, Evil)

Spell-Like Abilities

At will—bane, continual flame, detect good, discern lies (DC 19), dispel good (DC 20), dispel magic, unholy aura (DC 23), unholy smite (DC 19), unholy word (DC 22), invisibility (self only), plane shift (DC 22), bestow curse (DC 18), Cause disease (DC 18), cause fear (DC 16); 7/day—inflict light wounds (DC 16), see invisibility; 1/day—blade barrier (DC 21), harm (DC 21). Caster level 12th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

@paladinred Something I noticed in 5e. Is you can keep rerolling saves every round to break an effect. So if someone were paralyzed or stunned or put to sleep, they can reroll the save every round in order to break the effect. If they initially failed their save, the round they make their save ends their turn.

Something I noticed in 5e. Is you can keep rerolling saves every round to break an effect. So if someone were paralyzed or stunned or put to sleep, they can reroll the save every round in order to break the effect. If they initially failed their save, the round they make their save ends their turn.

Err, errr............................err.....................ok

Lol

2 minutes ago, paladinred said:

Something I noticed in 5e. Is you can keep rerolling saves every round to break an effect. So if someone were paralyzed or stunned or put to sleep, they can reroll the save every round in order to break the effect. If they initially failed their save, the round they make their save ends their turn.

Err, errr............................err.....................ok

Lol

lol

Just want to make sure I am interpreting this feat correctly: Practiced Spellcaster allows me to bump up from CL7 Sorcerer from my levels as a Couatl to being a CL11 Sorcerer? Which plays into spells known and per day, as well as benefits of Familiar? I took the Obtain familiar at lvl 3, Practiced Spellcaster at lvl 6 and improved familiar at level 9 So I could get a Pseudodragon. Not sure how you build up the improved familiar as some of the things look like they would be a downgrade or even not applicable. After this I just have to pick my spells and write up my fluff.

5 hours ago, darlis moonbeam said:

Just want to make sure I am interpreting this feat correctly: Practiced Spellcaster allows me to bump up from CL7 Sorcerer from my levels as a Couatl to being a CL11 Sorcerer? Which plays into spells known and per day, as well as benefits of Familiar? I took the Obtain familiar at lvl 3, Practiced Spellcaster at lvl 6 and improved familiar at level 9 So I could get a Pseudodragon. Not sure how you build up the improved familiar as some of the things look like they would be a downgrade or even not applicable. After this I just have to pick my spells and write up my fluff.

Just to be clear. Practiced Spellcaster does not increase spells known. It only treats your spells as 4 levels higher, up to your HD. So if you cast fireball. Instead of 7d6, your fireball now deals 10d6 (since 10d6 is the standard cap).

This feat does not affect your spells per day or spells known. It increases your caster level only, which would help you penetrate spell resistance and increase the duration and other effects of your spells.

So for familiar purposes, you are still an arcane caster level 9, who's spells are empowered up to level 12.
It also means, that you can't use metamagic feats that would increase your spells above your 7th level spell slots.
A 9th level sorcerer casts up to 4th level spells. So a quicken spell takes up a spell slot 4 levels higher. as in you would have to be sorcerer 14th level in order to have a 7th level spell slot.

Side note. Make sure you're not looking at the D&D WIKI for feats, because some are homebrew.
Practiced Spellcasting (3.5e Feat) is homebrew for example.

It's all good. Better to ask questions :)
If you do get yourself a familiar, it gets all the abilities of your arcane caster levels (7th) like
Alertness, improved evasion,
share spells, empathic link, deliver touch spells, Speak with Master, Speak with animals of it's kind, but it wouldn't have spell resistance yet.
Also because you are gestalt at 12 class levels, he gets 1/2 your HP regardless of it's actual HD and uses your saves.

Practiced Spellcaster
( Complete Divine, p. 82)

[General]

Choose a spellcasting class that you possess. Your spells cast from that class are more powerful.
Prerequisite

Spellcraft 4 ranks,
Benefit

Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by +4. This can't increase your caster level beyond your HD. However, even if you can't benefit from the full bonus immediately, if you later gain noncaster-level HD you may be able to apply the rest of the bonus. For example, a human 5th-level cleric/3rd-level fighter who selects this feat would increase his cleric caster level from 5th to 8th (since he has 8 HD). If he later gained a fighter level, he would gain the remainder of the bonus and his cleric caster level would become 9th (since he now has 9 HD). A character with two or more spellcasting classes (such as a bard/sorcerer or a ranger/druid) must choose which class gains the feat's effect. This does not affect your spells per day or spells known. It only increases your caster level, which would help you penetrate SR and increase the duration and other effects of your spells.
Special

You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you choose it, you must apply it to a different spellcasting class. For instance, a 4th-level cleric/5th-level wizard who had selected this feat twice would cast cleric spells as an 8th-level caster and wizard spells as a 9th-level caster.

So, @darlis moonbeam I'll make you a deal. If you choose to accept this.

Instead of being a flat level 12 rogue. You can be 9th level rogue, and take 3 levels of Sorcerer. (Taken at 2nd, 6th and 10th) which are the Coutl's dead levels. You will then technically be a 9th level Rogue with 12th level sorcerer spellcasting.

The reason behind it keeping it's reduced LA +3 instead of LA +1 or +2 is because it's list is so good. It gains access to both cleric and sorcerer spells and the Air, Good an Law domain.
I will say you loose access to the Good or Law if you are no longer good or lawful.