Character Creation Questions & Answers

Steel Warrior

So, I'd been informed that Victor's AC was too high. I fully understand. Are we using the optional rule where Bracers of Armor (and their equivalents) can be enchanted like Armor? If that's the case, he can forego armor entirely and just wear Bracers that he can upgrade in other ways. Whatchathink?

Arms and Equipment Guide p130

Bracers of Armor and
Armor Special Abilities
A character who has the Craft
Magic Arms and Armor and
Craft Wondrous Item feats, as
well as mage armor and all the
other prerequisites necessary,
can add the armor special
abilities shown on Table 8–6
in the DUNGEONMASTER’s Guide
to a set of bracers of armor.
The cost is the same as for
adding a special ability to
normal armor: an increase in
the effective bonus of the
bracers. Just as magic armor
can never exceed a +8 enhancement
bonus, bracers of
armor never provide more
than a +8 armor bonus. However,
special abilities can increase
the effective bonus as
high as +13 (bracers +8 with
an ability valued at +5, such
as heavy fortification).
The market prices for
bracers of armor with an effective
bonus higher than +8
are as follows: 81,000 gp (+9),
100,000 gp (+10), 121,000 gp
(+11), 144,000 gp (+12),
169,000 gp (+13). Any special
ability that can be added to
armor can be added to bracers
of armor. Armor qualities with
a cost expressed in gp rather
than an effective bonus can
be added to bracers for the
same price.
If you are using the Epic
Level Handbook, characters
with Craft Epic Magic Arms
and Armor and Craft Epic
Wondrous Item can create
bracers of armor with a higher
effective bonus than +13. To
calculate the market price for
such items, square the total
effective bonus and multiply
the result by 10,000 gp.

Sorry. I don't know how to word wrap it. Basically, as long as you have Bracers of Armor +1, you can enchant it like armor. This keeps the AC down but allows me to buff it as normal.

2 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

It's probably cheaper just to reduce the AC bonus and keep the enchants, or add more different enchants vs buying bracers of AC, which I feel that you should be able to get bracers of AC enchanted with other things to be honest. After the base +1.

you should be able to get bracers of AC enchanted with other things to be honest. After the base +1.

I honestly thought bracers of AC were more expensive, like similar to the cost of weapon enchants. That's the only reason I was thinking keeping magic armor bonus low, but add other effects would be better.

Hey folks,
thanks for inviting me, just getting a feel for the game, you're both good creatures that are humanoid in appearance, is that something I should be aiming for?
I was thinking of playing a Grell, or something else odd, and not humanoid, but want to make sure that it fits with you first. So I can manage my expectations and what would work and what wouldn't.

Happy to receive tips and guidance

Well Griff has slipped a bit being in the Abyss for so long, he is more neutral than good. Though I would say you definitely do not have to play a good character. We also have an evil character and the DM's NPC is also evil. I think the other player may also be evil, though have not heard much from the other player. As for humanoid shape, I doubt that is exactly required either.

What I thought was going to happen were players were actually going to play abyssal characters, like how PR described in her creation post. So it didn't end up that way lol. Just have a reason why you're stuck in the abyss and try not to make it broken. Like 40+ AC, 300 hp lol. Figured we would stay true to our monster's statblocks plus a class(es)/prc's.

If you want to play a grell, maybe tack on half-fiend or something. Using the adjusted RLA you get lower LA costs.

7 minutes ago, Steel Warrior said:

@8w_gremlin We are in the Abyss fyi, not the underdark, so the story background you have come up with, needs to explain your time in the Abyss and why you are there. :)

Will do!
just putting in the ground work, I will have it fully fleshed out today hopefully.

5 hours ago, 8w_gremlin said:

Will do!
just putting in the ground work, I will have it fully fleshed out today hopefully.

I noticed you went with Oslecamo instead of the default Grell, which most of it is "Ok" except for some of the Feral Patriarch's abilities. I am thinking we should adjust the 2nd and 3rd level abilities. Let's see what Paladinred has to say. 4 & 5 is ok. Also need to know what ability you took from the Fiendish Template. Like mentioned we don't want something completely broken. I am also not fond of leadership, but again that's up to Paladinred. If PR says it's fine, they would default wotc official grell followers, and being replaced would take longer than 1 day. You're in the abyss.

At 2nd level it can paralyze even creatures normally immune to it, but they gain a +5 bonus on their saves, and it no longer takes penalties for moving at full speed while hiding.

At 3rd level it ignores Freedom of Movement effects on its enemies when grappling them, and its tentacles inflict an automatic Dimensional Anchor on grappled enemies as long as the grapple lasts.

At 4th level its Bite attack now adds 1,5 Str mod to damage rolls  and ignores all DR and miss chances.

At 5th level its tentacles become primary attacks, adding full Str mod to damage rolls.

Colonizer-This works as the leadership feat, except you can use your Con Score instead only gain followers, not cohorts (no patriarch will admit a rival near its power level), and they must all be grells, which can take either Feral Grell or Philosopher Grell levels but after that only wizard, barbarian or fighter levels. Casualities are replaced every day, but should the Patriarch lose too many such minions too fast, they may revolt against it. This doesn't stack with actual leadership.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)