Character Creation OoC/Questions

TheFred

Oh man, Well I'mm sorry it was a bit too vague of a question, just the book says I can do enchantments, but nothing explicitly about non enchanting armor abilities, seeing as you really can only get one of those applied at a time to any armor, and there only being about 7 of them total, that I can find, I thought it was pretty specific over all my bad, Ill keep my stuff much more condensed If I thought it was easier to get the specific I woulda asked that way but with how indecisive I can be, I honestly thought it'd be easier for a cover all, instead of me asking about each thing in dependently, My bad. thanks for the explanation though, Ill do better.

Hello, I saw this game is recruiting and have been considering making a pitch. Interested to hear if the following sounds like the kind of thing that you're looking for.

I'm thinking of a human son of Hades, God of the Underworld, twin brother to Macaria (and not considered even worth a mention in the legends). The mother is not named in the mythology, so I'm reckoning on Hades becoming 'restless' during the spring/summer while Persephone is away and following the old family tradition (ahem!)

Macarius, like most of his close relatives, is some kind of demigod of death. His particular take on it follows his father's to some extent, in that he's not the evil monster many people believe him to be. He is a fair and even handed ruler of the Underworld, and Macarius feels driven to get out there and put the record straight, playing up the simple fact that death comes to us all (well, you mortals, anyway) and is not a thing to be feared. He therefore goes by the name Macarius the Blessed.

There may also be a less altruistic undercurrent at work concerning feelings of Hades being cast in an unfair light compared with his youngest brother, Zeus, but we all have our crosses to bear...

Backstory (sorry, legend) really needs him to have spent time in the Underworld, so thinking maybe he somehow got roped in by Orpheus on his little visit and helped the bard to escape, maybe earning himself some bad points back home and no longer welcome there, if that works for you. Possibly now gets bad reactions from canines (the more heads the worse the reaction?)

I'm thinking of a Fighter(2)/Warlock(3)/something(1) build at present, though not sure what the something should be to lead him in a good direction for development. Very much open to ideas there, if anyone has any good 'uns.

Can I check on the terms of the 32 point buy, please, as I'm not that familiar with point buy systems?

Anyway, let me know what you think.

13 hours ago, namo said:

TheFred, let me know if you bite (he'll have a Legend of his own, of course, but kind of in the shadow of his more illustrious predecessor).

I can't say whether I'll like it until you write it up! 😃 But it certainly sounds like you've got plenty to work with, and certainly I don't see any issues.

1 hour ago, Lord Foul said:

Can I check on the terms of the 32 point buy, please, as I'm not that familiar with point buy systems?

The point buy system is detailed on page 169 of the Dungeon Master's Guide, or you can find calculators online.

Essentially, you start with 8s in all your stats and 32 points to spend on them, but once your stat hits 14 the cost to increase it becomes equal to the modifier. So it costs 2 points to go from 14 to 15 or 15 to 16, then 3 points to go from 16 to 17 or 17 to 18.

When you say we count as a cleric does that mean we get our god's favored weapon?

Other then that question I have my character sheet Done I think.

For my 3rd level spell at will is Dispel Magic, but in character creation its says we get a special power:

Special Power

In addition to the above, you get one thematic option of your choice to distinguish yourself from other demigods - a "superpower", if you will. - TheFred

May I get an example of what is a proper thing for this spot?

The only Ideas I have is, " Major Repair, Mass." Where I repair everything in a radius, Or something like, "Threw the power of Hephaestus, I claim sanctuary!" and I call forth a 1 man crafting center, or lastly for so many rounds I make hammer Thundering or Force? But honestly I like the second best personally, but I have no idea what should go there, or if dispel magic at will takes that slow up, im down too.

Thank you for your time.

3 hours ago, OgreWattage said:

When you say we count as a cleric does that mean we get our god's favored weapon?

Other then that question I have my character sheet Done I think.

For my 3rd level spell at will is Dispel Magic, but in character creation its says we get a special power:

May I get an example of what is a proper thing for this spot?

The only Ideas I have is, " Major Repair, Mass." Where I repair everything in a radius, Or something like, "Threw the power of Hephaestus, I claim sanctuary!" and I call forth a 1 man crafting center, or lastly for so many rounds I make hammer Thundering or Force? But honestly I like the second best personally, but I have no idea what should go there, or if dispel magic at will takes that slow up, im down too.

Thank you for your time.

Mass Repair moderate for example is a 6th level spell, so if it was on the domain list you wouldn't be able to cast it until 11th level.

You can select 1 special ability from the list below pretty much. It's a matter which will feel better with your character. Potentially the at-will can be best if it has many uses, otherwise the domain and spells from the domain 1/day is another great choice for a spellcaster.

1. As in you can have an at-will spell-like ability up to 3rd level.
2. You gain a domain and you can use the domain power and gain access to the spells on the domain list 1/day. (you still need to meet the level requirement)
3. +6 to one ability score
4. gain a template and reduce the LA by +1

Oh ba-jeezises I thought I got 1 of each of those Im glad someone cuaght my 2 braincells trying to think, Easy fix though, thanks man, its what I get for not playing 3.5 for a decade plus. I woulda looked real sus if I got threw the interviews with that.

Just checking that you're still recruiting, and popping my business card right here. This game looks like a load of fun, and I'm a huge fan of Greek mythology, so I'm just introducing myself while I come up with a suitably fun and interesting pitch. Hi

So I spent a long time last night thinking about this game, and I came up with Boagrius: son of Eris (or maybe Enyo) and all round Ajax/Heracles impersonator. However, before I jump too deep into character creation so as to become attached, I just want to confirm that the party is currently: Warblade; Fighter/Warlock; 2xArtificer; and a Wizard/Saint.

I know you've said party balance isn't important, but I feel compelled to at least check with everyone before I introduce my up close and personal, greatclub wielding Fighter 5/Barbarian 1 with dungeon delver, lion spirit totem, power attack, shock trooper, combat brute and leap attack; a combination I would usually stay well clear of if we weren't immortal demigod heroes. I would be perfectly happy rolling up a more witchy daughter of Hecate or something, if you guys think that would fit more; I'd get great enjoyment out of either.

Edited by Arbuthnott (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Arbuthnott said:

So I spent a long time last night thinking about this game, and I came up with Boagrius: son of Eris (or maybe Enyo) and all round Ajax/Heracles impersonator. However, before I jump too deep into character creation so as to become attached, I just want to confirm that the party is currently: Warblade; Fighter/Warlock; 2xArtificer; and a Wizard/Saint.

I know you've said party balance isn't important, but I feel compelled to at least check with everyone before I introduce my up close and personal, greatclub wielding Fighter 5/Barbarian 1 with dungeon delver, lion spirit totem, power attack, shock trooper, combat brute and leap attack; a combination I would usually stay well clear of if we weren't immortal demigod heroes. I would be perfectly happy rolling up a more witchy daughter of Hecate or something, if you guys think that would fit more; I'd get great enjoyment out of either.

The two current players are spellcasters, I think you are safe to make your melee. I am going warblade. I may do Warblade 5, Bloodstorm Blade 1 myself.

Concept of my character is someone who draws power from the gods. I'm torn between Artificer, who channels the essence of the gods to create items of power based on them or was thinking of switching my idea to a cleric but wanted to have it based on worshiping to a pantheon and building a domain list based of each of the gods I wanted to worship.

So just wanted to check if I was going to do the latter cleric build, @TheFred would you be happy if we work out an appropriate domains that would fit? Don't want to take the mick with which ones I wanted to use.

Could I have the signature ability Blood Wind continuously active while raging? I'm not sure I've judged the power scale you mentioned being worried about, but as current I can only rage 1/day, and I think the imagery of me being so angry that a divine wind cyclones around me is a really fun idea