Character Creation OoC/Questions

TheFred

I have googled information about Mithral when I was trying to find something that wouldn't rust that an Atlantian might use. Tolkien and some posts on D&D Beyond are saying Mithral is a nonferrous metal. Like Gold and Copper. So I figured I would ask if it would be fine to know if a Mithral breastplate would be safe from rusting.

18 hours ago, whitelancer said:

Indeed. That is my current though, but also considering doing an Athena like you mentioned before. Perhaps a man finding them bathing, turned into a stag, hunted, eaten, then Artemis cutting out this weird growth thing and it turning into a baby similar to Athena coming from Zeus.

Yeah I'm not sure how you'd work it, but I'm not ruling anything out, anyway. You just have to sell me on it! (And that might be more challenging for something weirder like that, but definitely not impossible)

8 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

I have googled information about Mithral when I was trying to find something that wouldn't rust that an Atlantian might use. Tolkien and some posts on D&D Beyond are saying Mithral is a nonferrous metal. Like Gold and Copper. So I figured I would ask if it would be fine to know if a Mithral breastplate would be safe from rusting.

I think that part of mithral's "thing" is not really rusting... well, anything corrodes, potentially, but mithral is definitely nonferrous as are all things that aren't, you know, iron. That makes it immune to a Rusting Grasp spell, at least, but it could still be eaten by a Rust Monster. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, digging around the best I could find would be using a story about The river god Alpheus raping one of her attendant nypmhs Arthusa and after turning Arthusa into a spring that she drank from, drawing a parallel to a story about Zeus swallowing Metis who was pregnant and thus having then birthing Athena. Not too sure about it and sadly can't find better, such is the issue of wanting to be linked directly to a goddess known for not having children.

Perhaps you could be a "Chip off the old Block"

Somehow (even though rare), the goddess was injured.

Some of her spilt blood interacted with (?????), which gave rise to your PC.

You have the bloodline, just not through sexual acts by the goddess herself.

Which generates a myriad of other fun issues involving both men and gods alike. Does the goddess know, care or still not want offspring. If her wounds were caused during a conflict with another god, how does that god now view you, etc.?

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

question, there are certain armor abilties that are not enchantments, can the warforged armor benefit from this ?

The warforged armor :

omposite Plating: The plating used to build a warforged provides a +2 armor bonus. This plating is not natural armor and does not stack with other effects that give an armor bonus (other than natural armor). This composite plating occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and thus a warforged cannot wear armor or magic robes. Warforged can be enchanted just as armor can be. The character must be present for the entire time it takes to enchant him. Composite plating also provides a warforged with a 5% arcane spell failure chance, similar to the penalty for wearing light armor. Any class ability that allows a warforged to ignore the arcane spell failure chance for light armor lets him ignore this penalty as well.

My current concept, in a few words:

Ares often is the butt of the joke in Greek stories (I remember rooting fiercely for Athena as a kid), so why not try to rehabilitate him through his offspring? (or not, up to the DM!)

I came across a son of his, Cycnos, that was killed by Heracles.
My character would be Cycnos' child, and an Heracles wannabe, but with the tension that they also feel they should try to avenge their father... how to choose between your model and your father?

Mechanically, a Goliath Swordsage (with Barbarian dip), with Setting Sun throws and a good serving of Tiger Claw. Probably with a weapon; unarmed would be cool but is much more fiddly and requires more feats.

TheFred, let me know if you bite (he'll have a Legend of his own, of course, but kind of in the shadow of his more illustrious predecessor).

21 minutes ago, OgreWattage said:

question, there are certain armor abilties that are not enchantments, can the warforged armor benefit from this ?

The warforged armor :

omposite Plating: The plating used to build a warforged provides a +2 armor bonus. This plating is not natural armor and does not stack with other effects that give an armor bonus (other than natural armor). This composite plating occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and thus a warforged cannot wear armor or magic robes. Warforged can be enchanted just as armor can be. The character must be present for the entire time it takes to enchant him. Composite plating also provides a warforged with a 5% arcane spell failure chance, similar to the penalty for wearing light armor. Any class ability that allows a warforged to ignore the arcane spell failure chance for light armor lets him ignore this penalty as well.

Probably should clarify what you are looking to do, so he can give you a better answer.
There are also docents and warforged components that give different abilities and enhancements as well.

Warforged can be enchanted just as armor can be.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, OgreWattage said:

.fiar, I mfiar, but frankly donst look like thiere is munch but stuff like segmented and lightweight. armor abilities that are not enchantments.

I see, but stuff like segmented and lightweight, you can also go with Mithral Body and the Mithral Fluidity feat.

4 hours ago, Rhallan said:

Would you allow the Necropolitan template (Libers Mortis page 114)?

Would the Bone Knight PrC (Eberron: Five Nations page 117)?

These are both fine (notwithstanding the usual difficulties of being undead, etc).

Jeeze I typed that reply up quickly last night. My bad.

Honestly It was me trying to get a general ruling on the non magical armor enhancements. The armor bonus and checks really dont eat up too much for my set up, It would just be nice not to eat feats for mithril armor.

1 hour ago, OgreWattage said:

Jeeze I typed that reply up quickly last night. My bad.

Honestly It was me trying to get a general ruling on the non magical armor enhancements. The armor bonus and checks really dont eat up too much for my set up, It would just be nice not to eat feats for mithril armor.

Yeah, I think again you should be specific what you want, so the GM can actually approve them.
Although it's a feat, if you want actual armor you can customize, you can always go with Unarmored Body lol. Lose all the benefits, but you can wear any armor.

List of Warorged Components

Eberron Campaign Setting

Basic Components

Armblade (attached)

Armbow (attached)

Battlefist (attached)

Disk of Energy Resistance (embedded)

Essence of the Scout (embedded)
    Essence of the Scout, Improved (embedded)
    Essence of the Scout, Greater (embedded)

Final Messenger (embedded)

Wand Sheath (embedded)

Docent Components

Docents

Artifact Components

Circlet of Preservation (attached)
    Tauric Belt (attached)

Secrets of Xen'drik

Basic Components

Behemoth Belt (embedded)
    Belt of Fortification (embedded)
    Claw Gauntlet (attached)
    Elemental Axe (attached)
    Essence of the Jungle (embedded)
    Essence of the Jungle, Improved (embedded)
    Essence of the Jungle, Greater (embedded)
    Spinning Flail (attached)

Docent Component

Shira

Artifact Components

Defense of the Makers (attached?)
    Scorpion Belt (embedded)

The Forge of War

Basic Componets

Finger Picks (embedded)
    Projection Orb (embedded)
    Somatic Cables (embedded)

Races of Eberron

Basic Components

Command Circlet (attached)
    Essence of the Guard (embedded)
    Essence of the Guard, Improved (embedded)
    Essence of the Guard, Greater (embedded)
    Tracker Mask (attached)
    Traction Claws (attached)

Artifact Components

Dragonshard Core (embedded)

Winged Cape (attached)

Explorer's Handbook

Monocle of the Ebon Hunter (embedded)

Lesser
    Greater

Vanguard Treads (embedded)

Dragon Magazine # 341

Basic Components

circlet of the third eye
    disk of illumination
    disk of shadow
    gauntlet of the deft hand
    gauntlets of excavation
    iron-tooth girdle
    jewels of dazzling light
    scorpion brand
    spring-heeled boots
    stone of internal fire

Artifact Components

the clone mask

Dragon Magazine # 352

battle visor

camouflaged compartment

Uncategorized

alchemical atomizer
    alchemical defense nodes
    alchemical failsafe
    alchemical launcher
    arachnid chassis
    delver's light
    seal of longstriding
    shoulderbow
    somatic cables
    spiked soles
    adamantine plating

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

I don't think you can apply most of those to Warforged by the book, though indeed there are several other, Warforged-specific options.

Honestly, I doubt it would break anything to allow one of those to be applied, but I suggest starting with what there is (in addition to the Mithral feats, if you can enchant your own armour you could look into Nimbleness, etc) and if there's something specific you really want but can't get otherwise, ask about that.