Character Creation OoC/Questions

TheFred

I'm sure we'll be the best of friends. Like Scylla and Charybdis, or a Rock and a Hard Place

But if you think I'm stepping on your toes a bit, I'm more than happy going with something else. Really not set in stone at this point, so please let me know

Edited by Arbuthnott (see edit history)

Well, I was thinking of dipping into the Bloodstorm Blade PRC for the returning ability. I will actually be using a weapon, vs natural or unarmed attacks, so we really won't be overlapping too much :). Anyways, I don't get the really good AoE attack until several levels in.

My weapon is a trident, but there's always the Xena warrior princess feel if she invested in a chakram lol

@TheFred I am interested in taking the FR Regional feat Discipline

Your people are admired for their single-minded determination and clarity of purpose.

Benefit
You gain a +1 bonus on Will saves and a +2 bonus on Concentration checks.

Special
You may select this feat only as a 1st-level character. You may have only one regional feat.

Also for Flaws, if the below flaws are acceptable.
Code of ArmsTrained to only kill other armed warriors, you hesitate when attacking unarmed opponents.
Prerequisite: Good or lawful alignment.
Effect: You suffer a -4 penalty on attack rolls made against an enemy not armed with a melee weapon. If the enemy uses a natural attack against you, you may then attack it without penalty.
Suggested Class/Race: Paladins
Source: Dragon Magazine #324 (Class Acts - Flaws For Paladins)
and Pride of ArmsYou take great pride in knowing how to use weapons specifically designed for war. You consider all other weapons beneath your station and have allowed your training in them to atrophy.
Prerequisite: Proficiency in all martial weapons.
Effect: You suffer a -4 penalty on all attack rolls made with exotic weapons, simple weapons, unarmed attacks, and touch attacks.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

If we need more bodies, Im totally willing to play what ever else is needed, as well as my warforged artificer. I know balance doesn't matter, but with how much power we are getting, Im a little scared of what you got cooking.

So far ideas I got a sidekick Goblin jester in my brain, or some kind of face maybe? But its all good if not, let me know.

I am still trying to narrow down what I want to apply with. My first reaction was going a ice/frost mage type (I know there are 2 other arcane, but this idea is sticking in my head). However, it does look like the group needs divine.

On 10/19/2023 at 5:30 AM, Steel Warrior said:

You can select 1 special ability from the list below pretty much.

Yep this is correct, you choose one of those abilities as your "special power".

On 10/19/2023 at 11:44 AM, Steel Warrior said:

@TheFred I noticed the link/url to the OGMW site is not available.
Previous threads, including setting information, can be found on OGMW (I'm in the process of transferring relevant stuff over).

Is this the one?

Yeah, the game got archived since then; I'll update the link.

On 10/19/2023 at 12:49 PM, Arbuthnott said:

I know you've said party balance isn't important, but I feel compelled to at least check with everyone before I introduce my up close and personal, greatclub wielding Fighter 5/Barbarian 1 with dungeon delver, lion spirit totem, power attack, shock trooper, combat brute and leap attack; a combination I would usually stay well clear of if we weren't immortal demigod heroes. I would be perfectly happy rolling up a more witchy daughter of Hecate or something, if you guys think that would fit more; I'd get great enjoyment out of either.

We actually had a similar-ish Dungeoncrasher/Knockback fighter previously and, whilst he did somewhat trivialise melee combat, this was still very much in the "heroes getting to be heroes and smashing the bad guys" phase of the game; he kind of nearly died when he found a spellcaster. 😃

On 10/19/2023 at 1:43 PM, Slayer4399 said:

So just wanted to check if I was going to do the latter cleric build, @TheFred would you be happy if we work out an appropriate domains that would fit? Don't want to take the mick with which ones I wanted to use.

Potentially, yeah. Obviously, though, this is a game where the gods are kind of a big deal and, like FR, I would kind of expect clerics to have deities, not ideals (unlike FR, I don't think I'll totally rule that out... but I'd be more up for e.g. a Mystic or other divine caster I think).

On 10/19/2023 at 3:40 PM, Arbuthnott said:

Could I have the signature ability Blood Wind continuously active while raging? I'm not sure I've judged the power scale you mentioned being worried about, but as current I can only rage 1/day, and I think the imagery of me being so angry that a divine wind cyclones around me is a really fun idea

Hmm... I might have to think about this. Blood Wind, as a L1 spell, is unlikely to be overpowered if you got it at-will (as compared with the other options) but it's a standard action to cast and getting it active perpetually is a lot stronger. On the other hand, I did also offer continuous versions of spells as potential options and whilst this is one of the ones that goes up a lot (rather than just a regular lot) when made continuous I'm not actually sure that it would be all that powerful. At the end of the day, you're adding range to those melee attacks which is pretty potent but it's not like there aren't lots of difficulties with ranged combat anyway.

On 10/19/2023 at 4:02 PM, Steel Warrior said:

@TheFred I am interested in taking the FR Regional feat Discipline

Also for Flaws, if the below flaws are acceptable.
Code of ArmsTrained to only kill other armed warriors, you hesitate when attacking unarmed opponents.
Effect: You suffer a -4 penalty on attack rolls made against an enemy not armed with a melee weapon. If the enemy uses a natural attack against you, you may then attack it without penalty.
and Pride of ArmsYou take great pride in knowing how to use weapons specifically designed for war. You consider all other weapons beneath your station and have allowed your training in them to atrophy.
Prerequisite: Proficiency in all martial weapons.
Effect: You suffer a -4 penalty on all attack rolls made with exotic weapons, simple weapons, unarmed attacks, and touch attacks.

I'd like you to think about what region/background lets you take such a feat, but sure - it's not exactly an overpowered option, anyway.

I'd rather stay away from Dragon Mag flaws, plus those are both terribly-designed flaws which pretty explicitly go against their own guidelines for making flaws... 😕

(Honestly I don't really want flaws at all as they kinda go against the theme a bit, but I already allowed the previous characters to have them so you can too - and it's not like 3.5 gives you anywhere near enough feats, anyway)

1 hour ago, Rhallan said:

I am still trying to narrow down what I want to apply with. My first reaction was going a ice/frost mage type (I know there are 2 other arcane, but this idea is sticking in my head). However, it does look like the group needs divine.

Does any group really "need" divine? Not if you have three Wizards!

34 minutes ago, Rhallan said:

Would you consider it possible for a character to be related to 2 different gods from 2 different pantheons? Perhaps a child of each god got together and produced a child themselves?

Possible? Sure. I think that having a single parent lends itself better to a strong theme... and if you're talking two other "immortals" getting together and having a kid, well, that's more than possible but seems a lot rarer. That could potentially make for an interesting story, but I think you'd have to sell me on it. 🙂

(Honestly, I'm open to being sold on pretty much anything... though the more it strays from what I thought I was looking for, the tougher that will be!)

Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

2 hours ago, TheFred said:

Possible? Sure. I think that having a single parent lends itself better to a strong theme... and if you're talking two other "immortals" getting together and having a kid, well, that's more than possible but seems a lot rarer. That could potentially make for an interesting story, but I think you'd have to sell me on it. 🙂

(Honestly, I'm open to being sold on pretty much anything... though the more it strays from what I thought I was looking for, the tougher that will be!)

I was thinking along the lines that each parent is an offspring of a different god and mortal. Making the character have god blood, but a little more removed. For example -

Sobek (paternal grandfather, Pharaonic)/Mortal Woman (paternal grandmother) Hel (maternal grandmother)/Mortal Male (maternal grandfather)

| |

Father Mother

|------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------|

Character

12 hours ago, TheFred said:

I'd like you to think about what region/background lets you take such a feat, but sure - it's not exactly an overpowered option, anyway.

I'd rather stay away from Dragon Mag flaws, plus those are both terribly-designed flaws which pretty explicitly go against their own guidelines for making flaws... 😕

(Honestly I don't really want flaws at all as they kinda go against the theme a bit, but I already allowed the previous characters to have them so you can too - and it's not like 3.5 gives you anywhere near enough feats, anyway)

For the regional feat. She's from Atlantis before it was sunk. They are an advanced magical/technological race, so it would kinda fit them having higher concentration or a select few having it.

Do these changes fit better for flaws?

Pride of Arms
Refluffed: Your people take great pride in their militia training and customs, you only have proficiency in weapon groups that are racial, or would thematically fit the customs of the region you hail from.
Pick one Weapon Group, and two other specific weapons that are notable for your region. Races with weapon familiarity must choose their racial weapons. Clerics favored weapons also fall into this category.

Effect: You suffer a -4 penalty on all attack rolls made with any exotic, martial, simple weapons, unarmed attacks, and touch attacks that you do not have proficiency with.

For Atlanteans, Spears and Lances Weapon Group + Harpoons & Nets would specific to an aquatic people and fishermen.

Weapon Group (Spears and Lances), Harpoons, & Nets

Benefit: You make attack rolls with the following weapons normally: javelin, lance, longspear, shortspear, and trident.
Bonus: Harpoons & Nets

Code of Arms

Trained to only kill other armed warriors, you hesitate when attacking unarmed opponents.
Added: If you knowingly attack a defenseless enemy, you also suffer a -2 morale penalty to attack rolls for 24 hours.

Hey everyone GP here.

I havnt had a game on this site in a while (after a number of dead starts) and give those involved in this I thought I would give it a go.

Fred,

What about a new god?

I was thinking a charcter that one way or the other gets thrown into the boiling coldron belonging to the 3 Fates. Given that, as I understand it, they are not gods but a power that even the gods respect.

A babe born with such a magnetic personallity (+6 cha) that some evil relative takes him to the Fates out of fear and then throws him into the pot when the sisters tell him his fate (somehow threatening said relative).

Anyway like many a superhero he somehow survives. The power of the sisters and their chenneling of powefull primal forces mutates the character to be possessd by all sorts of entities of history from this world and others. He learns to control them and starts progression as a BINDER.

A demigod fueled the the power that feeded the fates and all the non-god epic powers of the past

Alternatly a son of Hermes would work and it would be this sore of sphere he would fill also.

side question...If I didnt go the +6CHA would binding a additional vestage (or a fixed one) be a possible gift.

8 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

For the regional feat. She's from Atlantis before it was sunk. They are an advanced magical/technological race, so it would kinda fit them having higher concentration or a select few having it.

Great. Put it in your app. 🙂 The feat is approved, anyway.

8 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

Also some of the default flaws aren't even worth a feat in most cases, like Improved Initiative is +4 initiative, but Unreactive is -6.
Meager Fortitude, Poor reflexes etc give a -3 penalty, but Great Fortitude, Lightning reflexes only grant +2.
While, I understand, flaws are flaws, I think they need better flavor.

The flavour thing I can agree with you on, but mechanically that is 100% by design. You're not taking Poor Reflexes and then spending the bonus feat on Lightning Reflexes, you're spending the feat on something actually good that you actually care about.

That makes far more sense than a flaw that says "You take a penalty if you ever do the thing that you're never going to do (but have a free feat!)".

20 minutes ago, Grand Poobah said:

What about a new god?

I was thinking a charcter that one way or the other gets thrown into the boiling coldron belonging to the 3 Fates. Given that, as I understand it, they are not gods but a power that even the gods respect.

A new god as in making up something custom? That's possible I suppose, though I think you will have an easier time with the "traction" and weight of lore of existing deities.

The Fates are definitely a possibility though. We're not slicing hairs on what counts as a god or not; I think those sorts of characters can probably all qualify as deity-level creatures (as could e.g. a sufficiently powerful demon lord or whatever).

20 minutes ago, Grand Poobah said:

side question...If I didnt go the +6CHA would binding a additional vestage (or a fixed one) be a possible gift.

Mmm... possibly. That sort of thing is a little trickier to balance (such as the balance is in this game, anyway), and a whole bonus vestige feels like a bit much (consider the benefits granted by some vs a +6 to a stat... Paimon already gives a +4 to Dex for example plus a whole bunch of other stuff) but perhaps we could work something out.

@TheFred I guess you were busy typing up responses while I was editing my last post. I have added extra clauses to each one that would make it more detrimental to players.

Also, in regards to the Pride of Arms. If a person is limited to a weapon group and 1/2 select weapons, in most cases, random treasure drops are not in the players favor, and as for magic weapons that can be crafted for the player, I think it opens up an opportunity to go on a quest to obtain such weapon, or crafting materials needed to make it.

I think adding a rare component to crafted magic items would be a cool way to add unique abilities to the game, or adding a rare ore/gem etc that is used to make a type of armor, jewelry or weapon would be cool also.

14 hours ago, TheFred said:
We actually had a similar-ish Dungeoncrasher/Knockback fighter previously and, whilst he did somewhat trivialise melee combat, this was still very much in the "heroes getting to be heroes and smashing the bad guys" phase of the game; he kind of nearly died when he found a spellcaster.

That was part of my thought process when thinking 'what kind of character would fit in in a game about greek demigod heroes and legends'. Although I wouldn't want to make the game less fun for anyone through 'sheer martial prowess' 😉 when I think about greek heroes I think about one of two categories: ordinary human that was exceptional or blessed by the gods (eg. Odysseus, Diomedies, Hector, Atalanta); and truly mythic beings related to the gods themselves (eg. Achilles, Heracles, Medea, Circe). Kinda feels like we're aiming for the second group owing to our divine heritage.

You're right to point out that I'll be sacrificing AC for damage, so the very definition of glass canon; hopefully this keep from trivialising combat too much, but otherwise I'm more than happy coming up with something else. No matter how immersed I fully intend to get myself, making sure we all have a good time is top priority.

13 hours ago, TheFred said:

Hmm... I might have to think about this. Blood Wind, as a L1 spell, is unlikely to be overpowered if you got it at-will (as compared with the other options) but it's a standard action to cast and getting it active perpetually is a lot stronger. On the other hand, I did also offer continuous versions of spells as potential options and whilst this is one of the ones that goes up a lot (rather than just a regular lot) when made continuous I'm not actually sure that it would be all that powerful. At the end of the day, you're adding range to those melee attacks which is pretty potent but it's not like there aren't lots of difficulties with ranged combat anyway.

Blood wind is a fully optional part of the character; saw what you were offering and though 'what's the most cool thing I could do with this'... enlarge person at will was a very close second, gotta think about those visuals. No biggie if you decide you don't want it, but if you do it's unlikely to be something I use all the time; mostly if I charge/bullrush, make an attack, and then quickly run out of targets before I run out of attacks per round.

Forgot to ask before doing it, sorry, but can I have the flaw 'vulnerable'? -1 AC, which as you've mentioned elsewhere is something I'll be doing anyway, so perhaps less of a flaw, although as AC=Damage it is negatively effecting me... my logic behind this is that I'm a glory-seeking demigod with DR and Fast Healing, so my entire fighting style revolves around not bothering to defend myself, because I'm awesome and can take it (hopefully).