A hub for solo (GM-less) and journalling games

Vladim

I thought it might be fun to create a list of (active) solo games (regardless of system) and journalling ones. It could be useful to have a community, and to read others' stories to generate ideas, learn techniques or out of simple curiosity. It could also be good for networking and finding a pool of potential players for GM-less, collaborative games (as solo and co-op share tons of similarities, I think).

Solo/Journalling players, if you want, post here with a link to your game and I'll try to add it to the list. I can't promise I'll update super-quickly but I'll do my best! I'll start us off:

Player System Game/link
Vladim Anamnesis Anamnesis
pesukarhu Apothecaria Salves for What Ails Ye
Malkavian Grin Castle of Memories Castle of Memories
cailano BECMI (with Mythic GME) Solo BECMI
roryb Fate Accelerated (with Mythic GME) AT ONE with the DARK
Bobcloclimar GURPS Orcslayer
Malkavian Grin Ironsworn (Elegy, Bloodsworn) The Iron Masquerade
Vladim Ironsworn (homebrewed) Requiem for Rome
Malkavian Grin Mörk Borg Mörk Borg
Malkavian Grin plot ARMOR Operation Witch's Hex
Vladim The One Ring 2e, Strider Mode Tales from the Twilight of the Third Age

Oh, oh! Me next!

Thanks for putting this together, Vlad <3 Keep in mind my games are not super active at the moment. They tend to come to me in spurts.

Operation Witch's Hex (system: plot ARMOR)

The Iron Masquerade (systems: Elegy, Bloodsworn [both homebrewed Ironsworn])

Castle of Memories (system: Castle of Memories)

I also have some solo Mörk Borg but it's not formatted well since I started it all on OGMW (also has gay undertones <3).

21 minutes ago, Malkavian Grin said:

Oh, oh! Me next!

Thanks for putting this together, Vlad <3 Keep in mind my games are not super active at the moment. They tend to come to me in spurts.

Operation Witch's Hex (system: plot ARMOR)

The Iron Masquerade (systems: Elegy, Bloodsworn [both homebrewed Ironsworn])

Castle of Memories (system: Castle of Memories)

I also have some solo Mörk Borg but it's not formatted well since I started it all on OGMW (also has gay undertones <3).

Added! (In system alphabetical order for ease of navigating).

9 hours ago, Vladim said:

Added!

Thank you!

19 minutes ago, Malkavian Grin said:

@cailano May want in on this list too.

Question for everyone: how often do you use Mythic GM? After i found it, I am using it in pretty much all of my games I run, solo and public alike. I looove the variety it can add!

I used it a long time ago when it was only a couple years old, then moved onto other things. Now I return to an old buddy and use it for almost all my solo games. It's really gotten rich with the magazines and 2e.

I'm also a huge fan of the locatiin crafter stuff.

@Malkavian Grin, are you using any material from the magazines?

8 minutes ago, roryb said:

@Malkavian Grin, are you using any material from the magazines?

Nope. I only heard of it from the YouTube channel Me, Myself, and Die for his first solo campaign in Savage Worlds. I'm only using the base 1e book though i also bought the other two books they released (green and red) but can't recall their names. They add themes and such.

I bought 2e i believe on a sale but like most of my purchases, i forgot about it and have never opened the file. 💀

What are the magazines about?

7 minutes ago, Malkavian Grin said:

What are the magazines about?

The magazines open a number of details and possibilities onto the basic GME without changing the basic way it works. Tana did some excellent contributions with 2 articles per edition. Some don't add too much, like "ask Faye Questions to help build your world", but others add a lot. Always enjoyable to read.

The randomized Location Crafter appears in the magazines. That is, in of itself, a great adventure creator. I like the backstory generator (expanded from Mythic Variations - the Blue Book), emotional quests, how to create a long campaign, and a bunch of others. You certainly don't need any of it, and at $5.99 per issue (I would recommend the compilations), it is a hefty price point.

1 hour ago, Malkavian Grin said:

I've only got those 3 base books for Mythic. Are the compilations on drivethrurpg.com?

The Location Crafter is a largely narrative off-the-cuff design tool. I'm not sure it would give you enough detail for D&D style play. The actual mapping is left to you, but it creates unlimited locations within a region by populating location description, encounter, and contents through broad terms (often using the same action/descriptor charts from Mythic). You can nest new regions within others...for example, detailing a town, then a tavern, then a sewer system beneath that tavern, and a hidden thieves' guild in the sewer, etc.

You sort of have to have the original TLC to know how it works. The original is not totally randomized, meaning you populate lists. The first compilation of Mythic Magazine has the revised random TLC and one specifically for dungeons. You can *probably* use the random one only (MM compilation #1) without the original, but you might be lost on a few topics...nothing I couldn't help you out with. All are available on drivethru. Complete Mythic stuff found here.

If you have more questions, I can answer some PM's so we don't derail this thread too much.

I'm doing a run of Apothecaria at Salves for What Ails Ye. I've been meaning to try it for a while, so I finally started a game. I did it here, just to practice the interface a bit, in case I want to run a non-solo game, and because I wanted to see if the "public"-ness of actually posting would make me feel differently about it.

So far, I'm not sure.

4 hours ago, pesukarhu said:

I'm doing a run of Apothecaria at Salves for What Ails Ye. I've been meaning to try it for a while, so I finally started a game. I did it here, just to practice the interface a bit, in case I want to run a non-solo game, and because I wanted to see if the "public"-ness of actually posting would make me feel differently about it.

So far, I'm not sure.

Added!