Chapter 1

SithShrink

image.png.0747e04e3742fa4b2b9b762dcbb4862f.png

A slight smile quirks her lips, “I knew when I saw you that you were the very sort to help a town in need. Oh, and you can look for the crystals, but I know nothing more than I have already told you. I’m no wizard who chases such things for arcane knowledge. I need no more adventure than I have right here, so I’m no treasure hunter, either. Have a night’s rest and I will show you the spot in the morning.”

spacer.png Rodrick Taliesin

HP: 10/10
AC: 16 | P.Perception: 13

Saves
+0 STR | +2 CON
+2 DEX | +0 INT
+5 WIS | +3 CHA

Rodrick almost growls under his breath at the woman's patronizing response. He narrows his eyes and peers at her, trying to discern if she has some ulterior motive. He does want to help her, but he does not want to be taken advantage of.

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)
Name
Insight
1d20+5 18

Iolanthe Xanthe

Iolanthe ‘Io’ Xanthe

Level 1 Half-Elf Entertainer Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Dex 2 + Leather 11); HP: 9/9 (1d8 + 1); Speed: 30 ft.; Proficiency Bonus: +2

STR: 8 (–1); DEX: 14 (+2); CON: 12 (+1); INT: 14 (+2); WIS: 12 (+1); CHA: 17 (+3)

Bardic Inspiration (d6): 3/3

Spell Save DC: 13; Spell Attack: +5; Cantrips Known (2); Spells Known (4)

Spell Slots: 1st; 2nd; 3rd; 4th; 5th; 6th; 7th; 8th; 9th

Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11, passive Insight 13, passive Investigation 12; Tools: disguise kit, guitar, violin, lute, her own voice; Armor: light armor; Weapons: simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords; Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven; Size: Medium; Age: 23; Height: 5′–3″ (159 cm); Weight: 106 lb. (48.18 kg); Hair: Blonde; Eyes: Lavender

IC (My thoughts . . .; “My words . . .”; My actions . . .)

Indra looks at Wyrd and Chut, seeming to think for a bit. “You are very persuasive indeed, but this town is so poor we have to allow pickpockets and bandit captains to wander freely about. The town guard consists of me and a couple of drunkards who take their pay in ale. I can let you keep anything you find along the way, and maybe you can squeeze whoever has the fishermen. I can assure you that the tube—which is securely locked away—is not empty and I imagine something from a wizard could fetch a few coins. I’m afraid it is the best I can do.”

“Please don’t take this the wrong way, Captain Indra,” Iolanthe says, “but I feel like the town would be a lot less poor if you put a stop to pickpockets and banditry. Some might say that the cost of a broken window filters down through the town’s various craftsmen, but in reality, the entire town is merely poorer the price of a broken window.”

“You will need to make a pretty strong argument for keeping the scroll instead of selling it to get money for a sled, to take us somewhere that might have paying jobs, but I’m ready to get started. No point in spending our money here if we aren’t going to make more.”

Iolanthe turns to Chute, positively scandalized. “Isn’t a pretty solid-steel argument that it’s her scroll to do with as she pleases? She’s the one who negotiated it as pay for her participation in this party.” she says.

A slight smile quirks her lips, “I knew when I saw you that you were the very sort to help a town in need. Oh, and you can look for the crystals, but I know nothing more than I have already told you. I’m no wizard who chases such things for arcane knowledge. I need no more adventure than I have right here, so I’m no treasure hunter, either. Have a night’s rest and I will show you the spot in the morning.”

“Alright,” Iolanthe says, “I look forward to embarking on our adventure first thing in the morn, in hopes that we shall return with four fine fisherment, fit and healthy, and not news of their untimely demise.”

(OOC)

Movement: —

Action: —

Bonus Action: —

Rection: —

Interact-with-Object:

Background Feature: By Popular Demand. You can always find a place to perform, usually in an inn or tavern but possibly with a circus, at a theater, or even in a noble’s court. At such a place, you receive free lodging and food of a modest or comfortable standard (depending on the quality of the establishment), as long as you perform each night. In addition, your performance makes you something of a local figure. When strangers recognize you in a town where you have performed, they typically take a liking to you.

(To Whom It May Concern . . .)

Player Notification Tags go Here

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

spacer.pngChut Migo (Bugbear Ranger) App

AC: 15 | HP: 12/12 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 | Features

Chut looks to Io as she reprimands her.

"Since it's the only payment, it belongs to all of us. If she's the only one getting paid, then maybe she should do the job herself, but I'd prefer we work together and use the funds for something that would help us all."

But he shakes the woman's hand to seal the agreement.

"I don't know if we're honorable or just suckers, but we'll see you in the morning and will be ready for this investigation."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Notes

Nymestra - dragonborn inkeeper at the Wet Trout

Scython - tiefling leader of bandits in

In Bremen, fishers are being terrorized by a monster that lives in Maer Dualdon. Strange that none of the other towns on that lake have been harangued by the monster. Also great irony the monsters bringing in the fishermen!

In Good Mead, the town speaker was recently killed by a nine-foot-tall giant. Rumor has it the giant stole a shipment of honey mead, without which a handful of taverns in Ten-Towns might go dry! Might even need to change the name of the town, to my way of thinking.

In Targos, a band of adventurers is planning an expedition up the side of Kelvin’s Cairn, hoping to find Oyaminartok, a goliath lycanthrope who can transform into a polar bear. If you hurry, you might be able to join the expedition! Might be a bit of a bear, though.

Imdra Alaggath, captain of the militia

• 2 weeks later...

After a good night’s rest and a hearty breakfast, one you’re sure you’ll be burping up for a while, your intrepid employer gathers you into the cold. It’s like the gods left the freezer door open. The biting end and overcast skies have not died down a bit.

Much of Lac Dinneshere is covered with ice. “Only the hardiest anglers venture out to fish for knucklehead trout. To wrangle such a catch, fishers must drag their boats across the ice to open water and wait patiently out on the lake in the freezing cold for hours at a time. To fend off the chill, they often bring bottles of ale to keep warm. Imbibing too much is dangerous, for it makes the anglers more susceptible to being pulled overboard by stubborn knuckleheads. Too much ale also leads to foolhardy decisions.” Or so you have been told.

You are left to wander the frozen tundra that was once a lake, looking for clues. A rowboat bobs untethered in the water amid some small ice floes, not far from the eighty-foot-high cliffs that abut the shoreline. The mouths of four caves dot the snowy cliffside. One of these caves is at water level, and the others are elevated twenty to thirty feet above the frozen lake. The wind tearing through these icy caves sounds like moaning.

image.png.8b1a178c2a6f00abae083d2961823417.png

Tulik Thertaerd of the Elk Tribe

AC: 15 | HP: 15/15 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 13 | Features

Tulik Thertaerd of the Elk tribe walks around and searches the area. he looks for tracks and tries to find evidence on where the group is going.

Edited by dtspurrier (see edit history)
Name
rollng survival
1d20+3 4
rolling survival
1d20+3 12

Iolanthe Xanthe

Iolanthe ‘Io’ Xanthe

AC: 13 (Dex 2 + Leather 11); HP: 9/9 (1d8 + 1); Speed: 30 ft.; Proficiency Bonus: +2

STR: 8 (–1); DEX: 14 (+2); CON: 12 (+1); INT: 14 (+2); WIS: 12 (+1); CHA: 17 (+3)

Bardic Inspiration (d6): 3/3

Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11, passive Insight 13, passive Investigation 12; Tools: disguise kit, guitar, violin, lute, her own voice; Armor: light armor; Weapons: simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords; Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven; Size: Medium; Age: 23; Height: 5′–3″ (159 cm); Weight: 106 lb. (48.18 kg); Hair: Blonde; Eyes: Lavender

Iolanthe is Ready to Adventure!   Iolanthe is ready to set out in the morning. “I’m looking forward to some knucklehead trout when we get back!” she says optimistically. She’s decked out in her cold-weather outfit, snow-shoes, and all the other materials she bought specifically for these harsh, wintry climes.

When they reach the cave, she helps Tulik search for tracks and clues as to which of the four caves might be the best to begin their search in. “Mr. Tulik! Are these the tracks, over here?” she asks the Elk Tribesman, pointing to something and hoping for confirmation or denial.

(OOC)

Movement: —

Action: Help action for Tulik

Bonus Action: —

Reaction: —

Interact-with-Object:

@dtspurrier, Iolanthe is performing the help action to grant you advantage on your survival skill check.

spacer.pngChut Migo (Bugbear Ranger) App

AC: 15 | HP: 12/12 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 15 | Features

Chut looks at the caves and the potential climb up the side of the cliff, where falling into freezing water would be the penalty for failure.

"Let's go into the lowest cave. Perhaps there is a safer way up inside the cave system."

Along with Tulik and Io, he searches the area for tracks or other signs of life.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Notes

Nymestra - dragonborn inkeeper at the Wet Trout

Scython - tiefling leader of bandits in

In Bremen, fishers are being terrorized by a monster that lives in Maer Dualdon. Strange that none of the other towns on that lake have been harangued by the monster. Also great irony the monsters bringing in the fishermen!

In Good Mead, the town speaker was recently killed by a nine-foot-tall giant. Rumor has it the giant stole a shipment of honey mead, without which a handful of taverns in Ten-Towns might go dry! Might even need to change the name of the town, to my way of thinking.

In Targos, a band of adventurers is planning an expedition up the side of Kelvin’s Cairn, hoping to find Oyaminartok, a goliath lycanthrope who can transform into a polar bear. If you hurry, you might be able to join the expedition! Might be a bit of a bear, though.

Imdra Alaggath, captain of the militia

Name
Survival
1d20+5 4

spacer.png                       Liene (pronounced Lahn)

Level 1 Centaur Bereaved Twilight Cleric of Ilmater

AC: 16 (Chain Mail) +2 (Shield) | HP: 11/11 | Speed: 40 ft. | Height: 6'4" | Weight: 716 lbs
Senses: Darkvision 300 ft; Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 15, Passive Investigation 9
Str: 15 (+2) | Dex: 8 (-1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 17 (+3) | Cha: 8 (+1)
Languages:  Common and Sylvan
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 Cantrips Known: (3) | Spells Known: (4)
Spell Slots: 1st (2/2)

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions

After they wake in the morning, Liene enlists the aid of Chut or Wyrd, or anyone else who is willing, to rub the bottoms of her hooves with walrus blubber. 'Can't be slipping in the snow, and I can't wear crampons.'

Once they are on their way, she can't help but huddle into her winter coat a bit. Even though her tribe's summer home in the Far Forest was relatively far north, it was summer when they had lived there. Positively hot compared to this frigid clime.

When her companions begin looking for tracks, she knows she's not much use there, but does settle for looking about for anything noteworthy in the area, making use of her Darkvision if necessary.

Combat

Action:

Bonus Action:

Reaction:

Movement:

Object Interaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Spear (simple, thrown, versatile).  Thrown Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit:

(1d6 + 2) piercing damage if one-handed (1d8 + 2) piercing damage if two-handed

Warhammer (martial, melee, versatile).  Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d8+2) bludgeoning damage if used one-handed.

>(1d10+2) bludgeoning damage if used two-handed

Eyes of Night

Liene can see through the deepest gloom. She has darkvision out to a range of 300 feet. In that radius, she can see in dim light as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light. (1 use per long rest)

As an action, she can magically share the darkvision of this feature with willing creatures she can see within 10 feet of her, up to a number of creatures equal to her Wisdom modifier (minimum of one creature). The shared darkvision lasts for 1 hour. Once she shares it, she can’t do so again until she finishes a long rest, unless she expends a spell slot of any level to share it again.

Vigilant Blessing

As an action, Liene can give one creature she touches (including possibly herself) advantage on the next initiative roll the creature makes. This benefit ends immediately after the roll or if she uses this feature again.

Bonus Actions:

Charge Attack

If Liene moves at least 30 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a melee weapon attack on the same turn, she can immediately follow that attack with a bonus action, making one attack against the target with her hooves.

Spellcasting:

Liene is a 1st-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following cleric spells prepared: 

• Cantrips (3/3 slots): light, guidance, sacred flame
  • 1st level (2/2 slots): cure wounds, guiding bolt
  • 1st level domain spells (always prepared): faerie fire, sleep

Class Features:

• Bonus Proficiencies: Liene gains proficiency with martial weapons and heavy armor.
  • Eyes of Night: Liene can see through the deepest gloom. She has darkvision out to a range of 300 feet. In that radius, she can see in dim light as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light.

As an action, she can magically share the darkvision of this feature with willing creatures she can see within 10 feet of her, up to a number of creatures equal to her Wisdom modifier (minimum of one creature). The shared darkvision lasts for 1 hour. Once she shares it, she can’t do so again until she finishes a long rest, unless she expends a spell slot of any level to share it again.

• Vigilant Blessing: As an action, Liene can give one creature she touches (including possibly herself) advantage on the next initiative roll the creature makes. This benefit ends immediately after the roll or if she uses this feature again.

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)
Name
Perception check - gen'l lookaround
1d20+5 11

Jinabi

image.png.1b5b2743e4453776de0e75af4bc945d1.pngJinabi follows along with the group, moving in crouches to help find clues nearer to the boat and canvassing his way up to the caves.

Level 1 Druid | AC 19 | HP 10/10 | Walk 25ft Climb 15ft | Darkvision 60ft | Passive: Perception 16 Insight 16 | Saves STR 1 DEX 2 CON 2 INT 2 WIS 6 CHA -1 | Stealth 4 Survival 6 | Sheet |

Edited by Ensou (see edit history)
Name
Survival
1d20+6 20
Initiative
1d20+2 3

image.png.9d450ff5e764c124b782c13fd0ba55cc.pngName - Wyrd'Grrl Morkdaugter

Class - Wizard | Level - 1 | Prof. Bonus - +2

Str - 11(0) | Dex - 12(+1) | Con- 14(+2)

Int - 18(+4)* | Wis - 9(-1)* | Cha - 14(+2)

Skill Profs : History, Perception, Arcana, Investigation

Rune : Frost (Armor of Agathys)

A night of sleep in a warm bed, she had thought such luxury was gone after the wagon crash. Still, she slept clutching her book in one hand and a dagger in the other with her extra blanket on top for that perfect heat level approaching a cast iron oven.

The following morning as they hiked out to the frozen hellscape of a lake she was again bundled up and sneezing. She was focusing so hard on keeping up and staying with the group that ahe really didnt contribute to the search.

As the group approached the cave, she became very nervous and the perceptive members of the troup would see shifting under the thick clothes and impromptu winter mantle. She had drawn her spellbook in preparation for some sort of conflict.

Name
Adding Init
1d20+1 11

spacer.png Rodrick Taliesin

HP: 10/10
AC: 16 | P.Perception: 13

Saves
+0 STR | +2 CON
+2 DEX | +0 INT
+5 WIS | +3 CHA

Rodrick quickly draws his weapon, ready to defend himself against the foul creatures. He takes a shot with his crossbow, but the bolt misses its target.

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)
Name
Initiative?
1d20+2 3
Light Crossbow
9; 6
1d20+4;1d8+2 [5]; [5,4]

Iolanthe Xanthe

Iolanthe ‘Io’ Xanthe

Bardic Inspiration (d6): 2/3

As the harpies ambush them, Iolanthe yelps, un-slinging her yarting guitar and her rapier, ready to fight.

On her turn, as a bonus action, she will inspire Tulik, granting him a d6. Once within the next 10 minutes, he can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw he makes.

But the music continues, morphing subtly into a somniferous lullaby, Iolanthe hoping to take at least one of the monsters out of the fight with her sleep spell.

Finally, she closes the distances between herself and one of the monsters, rapier at the ready.

(OOC)

Movement: up to 30 feet towards closest harpy

Action: cast the sleep spell

Bonus Action: inspire Tulik, granting him a d6

Reaction: —

Interact-with-Object:

Name
Initiative
1d20+2 18
Sleep spell (5d8)
5d8 7,6,6,7,5