Out of Character Discussion

Papa Bear

Okay, I'm not going to post a full update, but I did resolve Alura's and Callista's spells.

• Rath Modar fails his Wisdom save and is charmed by Alura. Unlike other charm spells, Nathair's mischief doesn't say the effect ends if an ally attempts a hostile action, so he will be charmed for the rest of this round. The charm extends to Alura only.
  • Rath Modar fails his Strength save and is restrained by Maximillian's earthen grasp. He makes his concentration check, so the wall of fire remains in effect.

On 4/29/2024 at 8:36 AM, Ayeba said:

At the risk of being a stick in the mud... a wall of fire is opaque. Can you target someone you can't see with those spells?

I had never realized this until now. I generally rule that you can target an area without being able to see it, but you can't target a creature or object without line of sight.

So @rauhric Alura can cast Nathair's mischief on the area covered by the wall of fire.

But @Neopopulas Callista cannot see Rath Modar, so she cannot target the 5' square he is in. She could, however, cast fireball or cloudkill or any other spell which targets a specific area and have that area overlap with the wall of fire spell.

I'll update tomorrow to give you time to edit Callista's post.

Edited by codexgigas (see edit history)

If he listens to Alura's request to drop his fire wall then Callista can see him and still grab him with her spell. She could hold her action until the end of the round if Modar complies with Alura.

1 hour ago, rauhric said:

If he listens to Alura's request to drop his fire wall then Callista can see him and still grab him with her spell. She could hold her action until the end of the round if Modar complies with Alura.

Callista would have to delay her action. Rath Modar would drop the wall of fire at his point in the initiative order. He also may not, since he could construe that as a dangerous act. Would you add a Persuasion check to your post? I'm going to use that to help me decide.

2 hours ago, codexgigas said:

I had never realized this until now. I generally rule that you can target an area without being able to see it, but you can't target a creature or object without line of sight.

So @rauhric Alura can cast Nathair's mischief on the area covered by the wall of fire.

But @Neopopulas Callista cannot see Rath Modar, so she cannot target the 5' square he is in. She could, however, cast fireball or cloudkill or any other spell which targets a specific area and have that area overlap with the wall of fire spell.

I'll update tomorrow to give you time to edit Callista's post.

It looks like it's opaque both ways. So Rath Mordar wouldn't be able to see us either. Hmm, it honestly doesn't seem like a great deal for either of us.

If Alura's ploy works and he drops the wall of fire, callista can continue her action to grab him. If it doesn't work we'll have to reassess but i think i could just use burning hands into the area, that should work.

22 hours ago, rauhric said:

Sure, can i use my "15" left in my Portent +1 in Persuasion to make that a 16 total?

Yes.

17 hours ago, Neopopulas said:

If Alura's ploy works and he drops the wall of fire, callista can continue her action to grab him. If it doesn't work we'll have to reassess but i think i could just use burning hands into the area, that should work.

If you want to do that, you'll have to delay your turn until after Rath Modar moves or ready the action to use as a reaction if Modar drops the Wall of Fire. Let me know which you'd like. Delaying your turn will have Callista move between Modar and the gargoyles.

Edited by codexgigas (see edit history)

I'll delay my turn to after modar. Either he acts and drops the fire and lets me attack with the Hand, or he does something else whacky and i can just blast him with burning hands through his fire wall. Whats the worst he can do!

@Papa Bear Your character sheet says you have a +8 to spell attacks, not +7. The math (18 Wis + 3 Proficiency) says +7, but maybe you have a magic item that gets it to +8?

@Neopopulas - Eldritch Blast works a little different than fire bolt. You get two attack rolls and each does 1d10 damage. It's not one attack roll for 2d10 (like fire bolt is). Plus, there's a feat you can take to have it add your Cha modifier to damage...which doesn't do much for Callista. 😀