Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Interest check for a PF2e game

TheDude2371

Which setting?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which setting/location would you rather play in?

• GreyPath - Set in a more generic old-school world of Greyhawk
    • Paths of Light - Based on D&D 4e's "Paths of Light" setting in the Nentir Vale
    • GreyPath campaign, but keep it in Golarion
    • Paths of Light, but keep it in Golarion

I'm of two minds right now...

One mind has me working on my standard fantasy campaign, typically set in the old-school 1e/2e world of Greyhawk. I've worked this into a few different systems already, and am working on the Pf2e version. Granted, there's some background work to do, mostly with deities, but I think I can basically handwave a lot of that by modifying some of the Golarian-based pantheon as needed. Otherwise, it's crack on and continue.

The other mind is eyeballing my second "converted world" campaign, using the Nentir Vale "Points of Light" setting from D&D 4e. It'll be a bit more work, as I haven't completely read through it all, at least not in a very long time, and it would be the first time I'm converting anything from that version. I'd be looking into how to work 4e's minion rules into Pf2e, and I've already seen a few possible methods.

True, I could just throw these into the world of Golarian, and for the first option, I may have found an area... or just create some new unmapped area of the world that hasn't been seen as of yet... but I kind of want to stick to original plans.

As of now, I can focus on only one of these paths, as it were. Just wondering what others might be looking for as far as interest.

Edited by TheDude2371 (see edit history)

It would seem like Golarion would be the easiest for you to do unless you have adventures in mind that require one of the other settings. Greyhawk and PF2E feel like a mismatch to me, but that's probably a personal bias since I hear Greyhawk and think "old school." PF2E is about as new-school as you get, which isn't necessarily bad, just different.

1 hour ago, cailano said:

It would seem like Golarion would be the easiest for you to do unless you have adventures in mind that require one of the other settings. Greyhawk and PF2E feel like a mismatch to me, but that's probably a personal bias since I hear Greyhawk and think "old school." PF2E is about as new-school as you get, which isn't necessarily bad, just different.

Not necessarily. The system, according to Paizo, can be used in pretty much any setting. I have talked with a few local players in my neck of the woods who run PF2e in other settings. One of them does in Eberron, for example, and it works well.

Now I did just go and check for a full world map of Golarion, and yes, there are more large areas to work with than just the Inner Sea regions. (Look here for an interactive map.) However, I'm looking for more information on that big landmass to the west of the Inner Sea region, as it might work out somehow.

Based on new stuff coming to light, I added two more voting options.

So far, the lead is tied...

GreyPath seems to be the favorite, and it's neck and neck between leaving it in Greyhawk and finding a place for it in Golarion.

If the tie remains, I'd be opting for the former, as quite a few of my notes already have it planned for GH. We'll just see how it goes.

I'm going to re-evaluating the votes around "As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly" day, and go from there.

• 1 month later...

Finally coming back to check the polls...

GreyPath is definitely in the lead over Paths of Light.

Also, the vote is to keep it in Greyhawk. Mind, I'd be holding it around the era stated in the module. I have not been keeping up with Greyhawk history and such during the period for the module(s), so... it'll be fairly generic Greyhawk setting, with some Pf2e flair.

Now the question is... when?

Well, I had originally planned to have R&S (Recruiting & Selection) going on about now. However... life. Work.

I'm planning on using the Holiday week and into January to knuckle down, get the Campaign Manager working (using Obsidian over any other setup), and hope to have R&S starting somewhere around mid-January or so.

3 hours ago, BobtheWizard said:

Very cool. I think the setting is less important for players than the DM - you are the one putting the work in to make it come to life - so you should do whatever setting you want. PF2e will work there.

Mostly it's the deities that are going to be the hangup. However, I'm thinking on doing those as more of an at-will conversion, figure out a Golarion deity that's close and just re-skin it, make a few adjustments here and there.

44 minutes ago, TheDude2371 said:

Mostly it's the deities that are going to be the hangup. However, I'm thinking on doing those as more of an at-will conversion, figure out a Golarion deity that's close and just re-skin it, make a few adjustments here and there.

Yes. I think you need to allow Golarion deities mechanically, but however you want to fit that into your world is fine.

On 12/19/2023 at 9:32 AM, TheDude2371 said:

I'm planning on using the Holiday week and into January to knuckle down, get the Campaign Manager working (using Obsidian over any other setup), and hope to have R&S starting somewhere around mid-January or so.

I am looking forward to it! I myself just recently discovered Obsidian and all the plug-ins, themes etc. and will be paying for the beta/dev access as soon as I can. I’m really impressed!

On 12/20/2023 at 9:18 PM, Laird_Thorne said:

I am looking forward to it! I myself just recently discovered Obsidian and all the plug-ins, themes etc. and will be paying for the beta/dev access as soon as I can. I’m really impressed!

I've been using it for various things between work and personal vaults. I just signed on with Sync, since there's a special going on until the end of the year, and Linux doesn't have any decent support for Google Drive files.