Pathfinder Spheres players and GMs unite!

Saberfan

I'm a huge fan of the four Spheres systems for Pathfinder- Spheres of Power, Might, Champions, and Guile- and believe they're some of the best things to come out of the third-party space. There's just so much to love about them: the customizability and versatility of the system, how well-balanced the overwhelming majority of it is, how it enables all playstyles and keeps them valid, etc. If you're not familiar with the system and want to know more, there is an entire SRD out there with all the rules.

I created this thread in an attempt to pull together anyone interesting in playing- or better, running- Spheres games. Whether a particular game would focus on the system or simply splice it in alongside other things is something that would be up to each individual GM and their group. With all that said, let me be the first to declare interest as both a prospective player and a GM. I will be listing my preferences below and invite people to use the template if they so choose.

Player or GM? I am interested in both. I haven't decided what to run yet, but the desire is there.

Spheres-only or as an additional option? Either option is fine with me. I could see myself enjoying a Spheres-only game, but I'm fine with it just being an option as well.

Technology (Guns, vehicles, etc.)? It's inclusion is something that I may not mind, so long as it fits whatever setting is being used. This topic is important since there is a whole sphere dedicated to technology.

Gestalt? I would prefer it, but it's not a dealbreaker if a prospective GM is opposed to it. Spheres has it's own special version of gestalt and I would prefer that one if possible; if I use gestalt, I will always use the Spheres-specific version.

Mythic? I could take it or leave it. Just know what the pitfalls and flaws of the system if you intend to use it in a game.

Requested houserules? None of these are dealbreakers, but I would prefer Elephant in the Room and the ability to purchase Combat Stamina and Skill Unlocks with feats.

Spellcrafting? I definitely would like the option, even if a prospective GM turns down some of my requests. I will allow Spellcrafting in any game I run using Spheres, subject to approving each individual spell as normal.

Custom Traditions? I could go either way depending on what kind of game it is.

Edited by Saberfan
Made a few revisions and error corrections (see edit history)

In order: player only (I lack a certain quality to be a GM), Either is fine, not too picky on tech, no gestalt, no mythic, don't go overboard on the houserules, I don't use spellcrafting/techniques as a player, and I almost always use a custom tradition. Anything else?

• Player
  • Spheres-only? I think Spheres-only can work, but I'm open to both.
  • Technology: No? Agreed, it depends on the setting. I think non-Tech is easier.
  • Gestalt: Depends on level I'm not completely opposed to gestalt, but I think it works best at "low" levels (say, level 10 max), to round up characters; for higher levels, I think single-classed is really fine, has lots of depth, and is better than gestalt since it's easier for characters to have their own niche (but I know many people disagree and love high-level gestalt!).
    If starting at very low levels (< 4), I'm also fond of bonus feats and/or bonus talents to help bring characters online earlier.
  • Mythic: Either way OK with mythic, because I've never played with it.
  • Requested houserules: Elephant in the Room mainly (no more than 1/2 page of other houserules !)
  • Spellcrafting: No? I lean towards No, but remain open; I've never seen it in play. I'm not sure it's worth the added work for the DM (a lot of back-and-forth...); spellcrafting should wait until after selection IMO.
  • Custom Traditions: Yes (emphatic). It's fun to mix-and-match sometimes. But there should be a "no free bonus" rule IMO, so drawbacks (both of the Trait kind and the Magical Tradition kind) should have a real impact on the PC.

Of course I'm one of the Spheres fans around...

Player or GM? I do both. Typically a player most of the time, because the energy required to GM has been in high demand for other things lately

Spheres-only or as an additional option? I generally prefer spheres-only, but chaos knows I've jumped into the games that are 'anything goes' too.

Technology (Guns, vehicles, etc.)? While the basic firearms are fine, tech sphere is janky at best. I know Rex is doing his best to make sure Tinker is going to be high quality, although that's a process that's taking a lot of time and a lot of banging his head against the wall.

Gestalt? I find it very difficult to go without Gestalt these days. Hell, Tristalt is fun too, but I reserve that for solo games only.

Mythic? I won't use it in my own games, but I won't say no.

Requested houserules? Nothing specific. I use a few when I run to refluff how firearms work when running settings that are more advanced (thus basic firearms don't 'reload' but rather 'ready the next shot' as the action, without having to use advanced or modern guns)

Spellcrafting/Techniques - I avoid these, as they're always klunky. They're fine once a game has gotten going, but rarely does anyone feel the need to take advantage of these rules.

Custom Traditions? It's just so much easier overall to allow custom traditions, as long as they follow the guidelines.

It's quite nice to see people interested in Spheres! Three people declaring interest already is good sign that there is enough interest in the system here on Myth-Weavers. There's quite a range in game preferences from what I can divine using the answers given thus far, although there are a few things that seem universally appreciated.

I have been ruminating on what to run as one of the prospective GMs and it's only fair to lay out exactly what game ideas have been coalescing in my meat computer. I will provide a greater degree of information on any game that I settle on, but there's little point in force-feeding people all of that information right now. One more thing to say before I talk about the ideas is that they will all be spheres-only unless I specifically mention otherwise.

• Bloodlines & Black Magic There is a setting in Pathfinder known as Bloodlines & Black Magic and it takes place on an alternative Earth not unlike White Wolf's World of Darkness. It's a setting filled with occult conspiracies, ancient bloodlines that can wield the magic, and arcane cabals that scheme in their enclaves. The truth of the world is hidden behind a cosmic veil that only those touched by the supernatural can pierce and a shadow war between the Goetic Spirits and heavenly Archons has burned throughout the ages. This game would use that setting, place it in the Roaring Twenties era, and will have the characters be part of a loose collective of mages known as the Arcanist's Circle that are sworn to uphold the peace and secrecy of the hidden world. This game would have as many themes from Mage the Awakening as it would from a traditional modern fantasy setup and you should expect as much investigation and social interaction as combat. We would use gestalt for this game and one side would need to have some spellcasting capability (so a SoP or SoC class). Race would be handled as follows: everyone will be human, but will pick a vague source for their bloodline's power and gain extra racial abilities based on that. If a hidden world of magic, monsters, and mysticism like you could find in Mage the Awakening, The Dresden Files, and Shin Megami Tensei appeal to you, then this should be right up your alley.
  • Embers of the Forgotten Kingdom Embers of the Forgotten Kingdom is a setting that draws heavy inspiration from the Dark Souls series. The world has fallen to ruin, broken by a curse that robs the living of humanity and denies the peace of death to those who die, and what little hope there is must be pulled from the ashes by those who still have the will to continue on. Most of the old heroes, villains, and sacred beasts have long since been corrupted by the curse's grasp, but a few stalwart souls and covenants remain that may serve as ally or enemy to those seeking to restore the natural cycle. Players would begin as forlorn prisoners within Castle Ember's dungeons and, after escaping their predicament, will go on a journey across a once-great kingdom to end the curse. Sandbox is the name of the game here and players may go anywhere after escaping the dungeon, form whatever alliances they wish with those who yet remain, and work towards their goal in any way they see fit. Players can build their characters using any of the spheres classes, but can only pick their race from a list I've handcrafted myself. There is also the possibility of starting as a quasi-undead if you're really wanting to play into the setting. If you're a fan of darker settings on the brink of ruin like those found in the Dark Souls, Lords of the Fallen, or Elden Ring video games, then this game may just appeal to your sensibilities.
  • Worlds of Power There is already a canon setting for the spheres system or, rather, several canon microsettings. Most of them are found in the Worlds of Power book, but there are a few more like the Skybourne setting. They're all painted in broad, if evocative and interesting, strokes- likely due to page count limitations after including large amounts of crunch- and could be fleshed out with a moderate amount of effort. My idea is this: smash and splice them all into a megasetting. Most of them are as high fantasy as you can get and there's a lot to each one that I can expand upon while still allowing for players to handcraft smaller elements to be a part of the greater whole. Virtually all spheres content would be fair game and while there would be some restriction on races, it would be much closer to how many are allowed in official Pathfinder. Higher power and stakes are a given in this setup and it's the mostly likely one to incorporate both mythic and gestalt, although the former would be a reward to be earned later on. If you are a fan of high-fantasy games like the Final Fantasy franchise or tabletop settings like Golarion and Anima, then there should be a lot to love with if we go this route.

I will let all of those ideas percolate for a time and see in which of the four three directions my compass points. Anyone opposed to one or more of these ideas should let me know, as should anyone favoring one or more of them. It would be unfortunate if I decided on something that no one was interested in or vice versa.

Edited by Saberfan
Fixed a few errors and cleaned up wording to be more concise (see edit history)

That's cool! Not just one, but three good ideas.

Speaking for myself, I'm especially interested in the first one: I love intrigue, my 2 top PbP campaigns of all time were of the urban fantasy kind (perhaps surprisingly so, since it's not the target of D&D / PF), and I love Dresden Files. But all three sound good. I would rank 3rd before 2nd among the two others.

May I ask how familiar you are with PbP, and especially DMing PbP?
I would say it's very important that the DM is and stays motivated by the campaign, because in my experience DM attrition is the n°1 cause of game death (the 2nd being... repeated player attrition). RL happens all the time after all!
And second, very important that you don't take on too much work, because burn-out can happen... but of course for some people overworking on RPGs is fun. 😁 I say this not to be a downer, but to make sure commitments are made with one's eyes open.

I really like Pathfinder 1e and i always liked the idea of Spheres, but the only games i ever saw were high level games with basically everything and the kitchen sink and any time i tried to figure out Spheres i just got lost. A lowerish level game without too many extra mechanics would be great. I'd love to try spheres of magic.

I'm not sure if it counts, Namo, but I once ran the Carrion Crown and Serpent's Skull APs for friends who had moved away via Discord. We finished Serpent's Skull after about two years of frequent asynchronous posting, but Carrion Crown fell apart at the start of book six due to a lot of real life issues with group members; one friend ended up hospitalized after being terribly injured, while another friend and his wife ended up in a very messy divorce. So I have some experience. I know that it will take a few years to complete a game with even a moderately high rate of posting, that combat can mire down a game at times, and that sometimes life happens and people may need a day or two to post.

Do you have any preferences on a game, Neopopulas? You don't have to use the template I provided in the initial post, I'm just curious where you stand on certain topics like spellcrafting, gestalt, etc.

I'm kind of with Neopopulas on this. Spheres seems to have some possibilities but a lot of it seems to be pure cheese when combined with other mechanics

Player or GM? Player. I made 1 attempt to GM spheres and it was too much

Spheres-only or as an additional option? Spheres only. It gets too cheesy/broken too quickly otherwise

Technology (Guns, vehicles, etc.)? Slight preference to no.

Gestalt? No preference

Mythic? no preference

Requested houserules? No preference (though @Llyarden's habit of giving a feat per level is nice)

Spellcrafting? havent' even read that part

Custom Traditions? Please

Game preference: first or third

3 hours ago, Saberfan said:

I'm not sure if it counts, Namo, but I once ran the Carrion Crown and Serpent's Skull APs for friends who had moved away via Discord. We finished Serpent's Skull after about two years of frequent asynchronous posting, but Carrion Crown fell apart at the start of book six due to a lot of real life issues with group members; one friend ended up hospitalized after being terribly injured, while another friend and his wife ended up in a very messy divorce. So I have some experience. I know that it will take a few years to complete a game with even a moderately high rate of posting, that combat can mire down a game at times, and that sometimes life happens and people may need a day or two to post.

Oh, yeah, I'd say that definitely counts. Not like there's an exam, a diploma... 😉
The only difference is there's potentially higher level of mutual commitment with friends, but it's not RL-proof, as your story demonstrates.

I have officially decided on the third option. That is not to say that it is 100% the same as it was when I first set envisioned it two days ago, far from it in fact. I decided to scrap the idea of splicing the settings after the emerging creation began having a bit too much going on at once and feeling a bit all over the place. The basic idea- that of a high fantasy setting built around spheres- is still there and the world will still have a lot of the same elements I was looking forward to including: a diverse cast of fantasy races that goes far beyond the Tolkien blueprint, an expansive world filled with grand and exotic places to visit, classic RPG throwbacks like airships and sacred elemental crystals, and a smattering of other miscellanea that can be used to justify basically any spheres classes or archetypes out there. There will be more immediately recognizable elements to the setting that more traditional players can enjoy, albeit with changes that give the ideas a new lease on life, and there will be more exotic elements that do not have a pre-existing analogue in other fantasy settings. A smattering of details on the setting and a descriptive view of the races that can be chosen will be offered later on in the day.

The list of races is still growing, but here are a few of the more out there ideas from the list.

Fehldrakken are a race of honorable warriors descended from those who consumed the fiery blood of dragons and became more like their benefactors after generations. They are physically powerful and can bring the elemental might of their lineage to bear.

Ban Sith were once a peaceful race of all-female fey, but rose as half-undead after being sacrificed en masse to a fiend referred to as the King of Death decades ago. They possess eerie necromantic powers and a haunting beauty, but rely on small amounts of blood as sustenance.

Seraphim are a race of mortal angels that were created in occult laboratories as the peacekeepers of an ancient kingdom, but were granted freedom by their grateful creators and have since created a civilization has truly grown into it's own. Runed halos of crystalline light unique to each flare behind them and grant them access to radiant powers.

Edited by Saberfan (see edit history)