Anyone interested in playing in a one-on-one game?

Primeval Stasis

33 minutes ago, TheFred said:

I've tried this a couple of times before (on both sides, sometimes doing a "solo swap") to varying levels of success. I think there are concepts for which solo works a lot better than party, for example some types of intrigue games (politics, possibly, or infiltration/spy), playing the villain, or variations on the classic "chosen one" that's common in single-player video games.

It's so open-ended though that definitely some idea of what you're interested in running is good, and I second the question about systems, that's probably the biggest barrier. I myself, for example, would be interested in, say, a D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder game (or maybe one or two other things) but don't know Traveller or whatever.

Totally unrelated but an underwater/amphibious game in an archipelago sounds awesome! I bounced a few ideas around like that for a regular D&D-style party game ages ago but never did anything or persuaded any other DMs to do anything similar.

Yeah I agree, especially for PBP I think solo games can be beneficial for some times of stories.

Aside from the systems I mentioned before, I would only run a rules-light homebrew. I've never played D&D or Pathfinder and definitely wouldn't be comfortable running them.

New to the site, but definitely not new to pbp. After the real life group fell apart due to real life, I cautiously dipped into online, and pbp, and it's been my sole medium for creative gaming for a while. Give or take, that's 6 years now. Thanks for the welcome!

Well, if you like them all, I'll go for the amphibious game, with a regular quasi-medieval setting. Also, who's amphibious and how? Everyone, but some prefer to live mostly above water, some under, some wander in and out? Or there are air-breathing species, there are water-breating species, and some people are just born with both, with no apparent reason, into any species? Or the mixed ones are a third species?

Should we continue planning here, or you'd like to make a game for us?

41 minutes ago, sentient said:

New to the site, but definitely not new to pbp. After the real life group fell apart due to real life, I cautiously dipped into online, and pbp, and it's been my sole medium for creative gaming for a while. Give or take, that's 6 years now. Thanks for the welcome!

Well, if you like them all, I'll go for the amphibious game, with a regular quasi-medieval setting. Also, who's amphibious and how? Everyone, but some prefer to live mostly above water, some under, some wander in and out? Or there are air-breathing species, there are water-breating species, and some people are just born with both, with no apparent reason, into any species? Or the mixed ones are a third species?

Should we continue planning here, or you'd like to make a game for us?

Similar story for me, except I've only been doing PBP for maybe 6 months now. This community seems pretty cool, so I hope you like it here.

I'll make a game for us to start concepting in.

<derail>
You guys are really making me want to fire up one of my custom settings again which focused on a Polynesian-flavored fantasy country. It was by a volcano and many fishing villages made their homes both on the edge of the land and in the shallow waters. A Sea-Elf kingdom/city-in-a-giant-coral-reef flourished near the starting area for the game, giving access to aquatic half-breeds as PCs.

I don't know that I'm the one to run an underwater game... I have a phobia of deep water and even in video games or movies, I get a bit freaked out by them.
</derail>

15 hours ago, Malkavian Grin said:

<derail>
You guys are really making me want to fire up one of my custom settings again which focused on a Polynesian-flavored fantasy country. It was by a volcano and many fishing villages made their homes both on the edge of the land and in the shallow waters. A Sea-Elf kingdom/city-in-a-giant-coral-reef flourished near the starting area for the game, giving access to aquatic half-breeds as PCs.

I don't know that I'm the one to run an underwater game... I have a phobia of deep water and even in video games or movies, I get a bit freaked out by them.
</derail>

That sounds pretty cool! I feel like the written word is at least another layer of distance between a person and a phobia. No visuals and less immediacy. So maybe you could do it. Or maybe it would be too much 🤷🏼‍♂️

On 11/13/2023 at 12:29 PM, Primeval Stasis said:

I'd like to start up a second one-on-one game (as a GM), but the first one didn't get much interest. Would anyone want to give it a shot?

I'm pretty open to pitches for genre/setting, but system-wise I'd be running a lightweight homebrew so there is a narrative focus.

EDIT: I picked up a couple of new games from this thread, so my plate has filled up a bit. I'm still open to pitches, but would want it to be a swap at this point.

I love one-on-one games. Though I'm looking for pathfinder 1e/classical fantasy right now.