Chapter 1.1 - Sometimes Opportunity Falls in Your Lap

Penchant

spacer.pngZen, Wastelands Healer and Horologian Priestess

AC15 Touch 14 [HP 64/64] Speed 30' [Fort 8 Ref 8  Will 11]  Channels 9/9 [Adoration 8/8] 

Female Neutral Human Cleric/Stargazer

Level 7 (5/2) Init 3 HP 64/64 DR 0 [Fire Resist 10] Speed 30'

AC 15 Touch 14 Flat-footed 12 CMD 16

Fort 8 Ref 8 Will 11 CMB +3 BAB +4   

[Missile] Staff of Entwined Serpents  AutoHit 2 Magic Missiles 2d4+2 130' range

[Melee] Staff of Entwined Serpents +4 (1d6, x2) Magic +1 Guardian (+1 Saves)

Str 9 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha 18

In Town (default list)

1st (6) Burning Hand (Domain) 1 , Ears of the City 2, Carrion Compass 1, Blessing of the Watch 1,

2nd (5) Enthrall (Domain) 1, Pagebound Epiphany 1, Restoration (Lesser) 1, Track Ship 1,

3rd (4) Fireball (Domain) 1, Remove Curse 1, Minor Reversion 1 (like 24 hr Aid), Speak with Dead

4th (3) Wall of Fire (Domain) 1, Make Whole (Greater) 1, Restoration 1.

Out of Town (default list)

1st (6) - Burning Hands (Domain) 1, Invisibility to Undead 2, Weapons Against Evil 1, Sanctuary 1, Brightest Night (low light to 3)

2nd (5) - Flaming Sphere (Domain) 1, Drunkard’s Breath 2, Burst of Radiance 1, Protection from Evil (Communal) 1.

3rd (4)Fireball (Domain) 1, Resist Energy (Communal) 1, Windwall (vs bullets) 1, Shadowmind 1 (use in dim light to blind 1/lvl)

4th (3) - Wall of Fire (Domain) 1, Concealed Breath (with Drunkard’s Breath) 1, Brightest Light 1 (if we’re caught in darkness, can dispel)

Channeling 9/9 day [DC 19 Will Save] [can remove 4 plus self from AOE]

Positive 6d6 pts /Negative 3d6 pts

Adoration Power 8/8 day [DC 17 or cancel single attack] as immediate action

Condition

Fail a Mind Affecting Save (Reroll @ +8) courtesy of familiar.

Healer's Satchel *Regenerates each day. *Treat Deadly Wounds add Wis (+4) to hp restored. *If by 5 or more, this is 2 × Wis (+8). *+4 circumstance bonus to treat poisons and provide first aid (does not stack with normal) 

Healers Hands *Can treat wounds as a full round action. *If DC exceeded by 10 add Knowledge Planes (5) to amount healed.

Stargazer The Mother Cure spells have Stargazer levels (2) added to hp healed.

Zen, having positioned herself so that her mist column did not cover Sal, has nothing to say on the matter.. Perhaps the nutty old geezer's off his meds?, she thinks to herself.

spacer.pngGilbert Percy Gilane a.k.a The Crimson

With a casual flick of the wrist, Gilbert's pistol found purchase in the holster at his side. He let out a long sigh as he pulled a vibrantly colored paisley handkerchief and started fanning himself. "Allow me to respectfully present a dissenting viewpoint, my dear Mary: I would posit that the sole dietary consideration these insidious leeches merit is of the leaded variety. But again, perhaps my culinary nomenclature could use some improvement." He paused as he watched Kelly fire a few shots into the unconscious vampire with a nod of approval, but decided to be gracious enough not to offer Kelly lessons on the firing range once they got done with this job. "At the very least, it makes me refreshed knowing they've had their fill of lead." He gave the woman a sly grin as he adjusted the spectacles on his hawk nose. He handed Peggy the handkerchief as he passed by. "You've got blood on your..." He made a gesture in her general direction. "...everywhere."

Gilbert knelt next to one of the bodies, inspecting them for anything of value before following the others. Moving at a half amble, half swagger, The Crimson makes his way toward Sal, pausing only briefly to observe the strange acidic pools. He glanced at the ceiling, trying to discern if they were coming from above or below. When the old man starts to complain (a complaint Gilbert himself had made internally many-a-time) he could only grin in response. "Don't leave us wholly uninformed Sal. While the anticipation of the unknown is stimulating, I much prefer the unveiling of such impending dangers. Perhaps you'd be willing to enlighten the group on what is ahead?"

Memorized Spells

Level 1: Ray of Enfeeblement, snowball (intensified), snowball (intensified), snowball (intensified), web bolt, windy escape
Level 2: Glitterdust, Raven's Flight, Scorching Ray, Scorching Ray
Level 3: Haste, Haste

Spell Tattoos:
Vanish, Obscuring Mist, Jury-Rig
Raven's Flight, Visualization of the Body, Web
Dispel Magic, Gaseous Form, Air Breathing

Actions

Swift: n/a
FRA: n/a
Move: n/a

Name
Perception to check vampy bois
1d20+11 19
Craft Alchemy for the acid
1d20+15 6

The door is large and heavy, almost like a bank vault door, but with it unlocked Sal is able to roll it into the wall almost as if it were on greased wheels. An opening appears ten foot wide and dark inside.

Sal looks at Gil through the gas mask and says, "Money. C'mon, I've already been in the next room." Sal leads the group into a space lit only by the light the group brings with them. Contrasted with the outside this room is... clean. Sal pulls his gas mask off and offloads his pack. The room has some chairs and a low table and at the opposite end of the room is a wide and tall desk. There is a skeletal but inert figure seated at the desk. To the left are five steel doors and to the right is a single steel door. They are shiny and almost a mirror finish. The air is stale but breathable.

Sal walks up to the desk and says, "This was Mortimer. Don't know his real name but that's what I named him. He donated his piece to me, kind soul." He smiles still pleased with his new firearm. "This room is pristine and was air tight until I opened it. So nothing's rotted or corroded. Every bit of this is valuable salvage. There's lights and furniture and whatever else. But... that wouldn't be a big score. Look at all those doors. Those are manlifts like you might see at a fancy hotel in Avron. The ones on the left have arrows pointing up. Makes sense, right? Well lookee at the one on the right. It has an arrow pointing down. Down! We could be standing on the biggest gold mine ever scored in Pecos Valley! If whatever is down there is as intact as this room, I could spend years mining it out and selling it. It'd be worth thousands a year for the rest of my life. Lights, generators, the lifts, who knows what."

Sal rubs his hands together, "Here's the deal. I can do the salvage. I'll lock myself up here and live off supplies. Once a month you folk come and drop off supplies and pick up a load of fat loot and take it back to town. You offload it and deposit my half in the bank and do whatever you want with your half. As long as you don't let anyone know where the score is and you can defend the loads of loot, you've earned your half. Easy money. It's a perfect partnership. For today, we need to go down and make sure it's safe. Once I can set up my gear down there you're free to go and be back in 30 days."

He claps his hands and says, "Well, we still got a deal?"

Kelly Paxton

3ccc83bb841a92aa38decd5f0ddc8b4d.jpg.ddc865dbff19d88adf8b22c3fcd87529.jpg

Kelly collects Tak again in passing and puts him back on as a brooch.

He goes round the room, observing everything.

"I wonder how he died" he mutters, when passing the skeleton. "Must've been sudden, for him to have stayed sitting."

Turning to Sal:

"You intend to disassemble the lifts piece by piece and sell those pieces? Or do they have value only as a whole?"

He is not the most familiar with the market for this kind of stuff; maybe Peggy will have an idea. He'd have thought buyers would be sparse... But then, it also depends how they work. With Aetherium?

"Have you actually gone up? Down?"

The whole thing does seem easy and profitable but also... boring. Still, his debts... He doesn't have much of a choice.

< Gotta check out his claims, but if they're true, then I vote we go ahead > he has Tak broadcast to his companions.

Mechanical actions

Statblock

Kelly Paxton
HP: 56/56
Init: +4, Perception: +21
AC: 21, TAC: 14, FFAC: 18
Fort: +6, Ref: +7, Will: +8, CMD: 16
Speed: 30

Ranged: +7 Mosin-Nagant (1d10+1/x4) -- vs touch in the 1st increment (80ft)

PP: 54/67
Talents- Detect Psionics, Create Sound, Far Hand
0-
Empathy
1- Conceal Thoughts, Entangling Debris, Foxhole, Inevitable Strikes, Skate, Untouchable Aura, Vigor
2- Clairvoyant Sense, Cleanse Body, Defy Gravity, Energy Push, Everyman, Share Pain, True Terror
3- Concussive Onslaught, Energy Wall, Metamorphosis, Telekinetic Force, Time Hop
4- Fold Space, Wall of Ectoplasm

DC 16 + power level
Concentration +13 (+15 roll twice for casting defensively)
Current element: Sonic

at-will Prestidigitation
7/7 Ring of Seven Lovely Colours
3/3 Spellguard Bracers
50/50 Wand of CLW
50/50 Wand of Repair Damage

7h - Share Pain

PSICRYSTAL - Tak
HP 28/28
Senses Sighted 40 ft., Perception +10

Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +7
AC: 19, TAC: 16, FFAC: 17
Fort: +5, Ref: +6, Will: +7, CMD: 16
Hardness 8

Telepathic Link with Kelly - 1 mile
Telepathic Speech with anyone - 30ft

Sal says, "Well, it depends. There's basic salvage value in all things. Mainly, their steel is just better than ours when you can get it uncorroded. It's stronger and lighter and smoother. It mostly goes together with nuts and bolts and is really precise so even if the parts don't go together as a lift, they can be used to make all sorts of things. And then some body might want to buy the electric gewgaw that runs the lift separately. I don't think anyone knows how those things work, but plenty of people know how to make them work. Parts is parts. There's the stuff we know like hydraulics and water systems and plumbing and electrical. And then there's stuff like the blinkly light boxes that mystify folk. What do they do? Unno, but they have blinky lights when you give 'em juice.. or smoke when you give 'em too much juice, heh. For me, I get the most dollar per pound on the electricalated lighting systems. They don't heat up, they don't take a bunch of juice to run, they don't have bulbs that break, they just make light."

"There is no 'up'. Whatever building used to be up there is just a pile of rock and sand. And no, I ain't been down yet. I needed more supplies than I had which is why I went back to town. It took me a good month to get that big door open."

Edited by Penchant (see edit history)

spacer.pngZen, Wastelands Healer and Horologian Priestess

AC15 Touch 14 [HP 64/64] Speed 30' [Fort 8 Ref 8  Will 11]  Channels 9/9 [Adoration 8/8] 

Female Neutral Human Cleric/Stargazer

Level 7 (5/2) Init 3 HP 64/64 DR 0 [Fire Resist 10] Speed 30'

AC 15 Touch 14 Flat-footed 12 CMD 16

Fort 8 Ref 8 Will 11 CMB +3 BAB +4   

[Missile] Staff of Entwined Serpents  AutoHit 2 Magic Missiles 2d4+2 130' range

[Melee] Staff of Entwined Serpents +4 (1d6, x2) Magic +1 Guardian (+1 Saves)

Str 9 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha 18

In Town (default list)

1st (6) Burning Hand (Domain) 1 , Ears of the City 2, Carrion Compass 1, Blessing of the Watch 1,

2nd (5) Enthrall (Domain) 1, Pagebound Epiphany 1, Restoration (Lesser) 1, Track Ship 1,

3rd (4) Fireball (Domain) 1, Remove Curse 1, Minor Reversion 1 (like 24 hr Aid), Speak with Dead

4th (3) Wall of Fire (Domain) 1, Make Whole (Greater) 1, Restoration 1.

Out of Town (default list)

1st (6) - Burning Hands (Domain) 1, Invisibility to Undead 2, Weapons Against Evil 1, Sanctuary 1, Brightest Night (low light to 3)

2nd (5) - Flaming Sphere (Domain) 1, Drunkard’s Breath 2, Burst of Radiance 1, Protection from Evil (Communal) 1.

3rd (4)Fireball (Domain) 1, Resist Energy (Communal) 1, Windwall (vs bullets) 1, Shadowmind 1 (use in dim light to blind 1/lvl)

4th (3) - Wall of Fire (Domain) 1, Concealed Breath (with Drunkard’s Breath) 1, Brightest Light 1 (if we’re caught in darkness, can dispel)

Channeling 9/9 day [DC 19 Will Save] [can remove 4 plus self from AOE]

Positive 6d6 pts /Negative 3d6 pts

Adoration Power 8/8 day [DC 17 or cancel single attack] as immediate action

Condition

Fail a Mind Affecting Save (Reroll @ +8) courtesy of familiar.

Healer's Satchel *Regenerates each day. *Treat Deadly Wounds add Wis (+4) to hp restored. *If by 5 or more, this is 2 × Wis (+8). *+4 circumstance bonus to treat poisons and provide first aid (does not stack with normal) 

Healers Hands *Can treat wounds as a full round action. *If DC exceeded by 10 add Knowledge Planes (5) to amount healed.

Stargazer The Mother Cure spells have Stargazer levels (2) added to hp healed.

Zen evinces little interest in the 'nuts and bolts' conversation, not that anyone who couldn't see through mist would know.

Idly pondering the matter she concluded that it was clearly a lot of money involved. As for the lift going down.. well she wasn't holding her breath, taking nothing was definite until it was found to be so. It was an interesting deal, but it would tie them to this job for an extended period.

Sal pulls out a large screw clamp from his kit. He attaches is to the steel lift doors and starts cranking the handle. With a creaking sound the doors start to part. The interior is pitch black. He pulls out a stopwatch and a small stone. Pitching the (Thunder) stone in the shaft while thumbing the button on the watch at the same time, Sal waits until there is a thunderous crack and he thumbs the watch a second time. Performing a calculation in his head he mutters '300' and starts pulling out coils of climbing rope. Securing one end to a crossbar, he tosses the measured rope down the shaft. Donning a head lamp he looks into the shaft, "Oh, hey there's a ladder! Still, you should should secure your carabiner to the line for safety. "