Chapter 5: The townmaster's plight

TricksterArcane

spacer.png

Felvora Haspirex Sheet | Log
Drow Druid 5
HP: 38/38 | HD: 5/5 (d8) | AC: 15/18 | Init: +2 | PP: 17 (12 for vision in bright light) | Speed: 30 ft | PB: +3 Natural Recovery: 1/1 Wild Shape: 0/2
Conditions: None | Inspiration: 0 | Spell Slots: L1 4/4 L2 3/3 L3 2/2 |

Ability Scores, Skills and Saves

Ability Scores:
Str 8 (-1) Dex 14 (+2) Con 14 (+2) Int 12 (+1) Wis 18 (+4) Cha 12 (+1)

Skills: Animal Handling +7 Insight +7 Nature +4 Perception* +7 Survival +7
* disadvantage to vision-based Perception checks when in bright light

Saves*: Str 0 Dex +3 Con +3 Int +5 Wis +8 Cha +2
* all include bonus from Ring of Protection
Advantage on saves against Charm (Fey Ancestry)

Attacks and Spells

Attacks:
Frostbite - range 60', Con Save vs DC 15 or 2d6 cold and Disadvantage on next weapon attack
Thorn Whip 30' reach melee spell attack, +7 to hit, 2d6 piercing on hit and target may be pulled 10' toward caster if size L or smaller

Spells Prepared (Druid spells are +7/DC 15):
Cantrips:
Dancing Lights, Druidcraft, Frostbite, Guidance, Thorn Whip
Level 1: Absorb Elements, Faerie Fire^, Goodberry, Healing Word, Speak With Animals, Thunderwave
Level 2: Darkness^, Flaming Sphere, Pass Without Trace, Spider Climb*, Web*
Level 3: Gaseous Form*, Plant Growth, Revivify, Stinking Cloud*, Summon Fey

^ from Drow ancestry - if cast using ancestry slot, casting stat is Cha and save DC is 12
* Land Circle spells

Special Features

Real Soon Now. As soon as I need to use one.

Felvora reverts to elf form.

I think we should get close enough to be able to report something useful back. And it's a two hour round trip - if they look like they're all packing up to go someplace else, I'd like a notion of where.

Perception

Disadvantage for Visual Perception

Name
Perception
1d20+7 16
Disadvantage for Visual Perception
1d20+7 14

Mercedes

Mercedes TokenMercedes Logo

Tiefling Folk Hero Wild Magic Barbarian 5
My words | My thoughts | My Actions

AC 13 HP 50/50 Speed 40 ft., PP 13, darkvision 60 ft.
Resistance fire Rage 3/3 Magic Awareness 3/3
Cantrips hellish rebuke | darkness

Taking a moment to catch her breath as Felvora changes her shape back, Mercedes grins. "You sure now how to run a girl ragged. I like it." Wiping away a bit of sweat, she leans back and pops her back, then her neck. "Well, no point wasting time. Best we get a move on, just in case. Better to have answers than suspicions, so I'm with you 'til the end of the line there. Let's get going."

Out of Character

Situational: Stealth on the trail; Pass Without Trace makes an 11 into a 21.
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Ongoing Effects/Conditions:

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)
Name
Stealth
1d20+1 10

spacer.png

Drow Druid 5
HP: 38/38 | HD: 5/5 (d8) | AC: 15/18 | Init: +2 | PP: 17 (12 for vision in bright light) | Speed: 30 ft | PB: +3 Natural Recovery: 1/1 Wild Shape: 0/2
Concentration: Pass Without Trace Conditions: None | Inspiration: 0 | Spell Slots: L1 4/4 L2 2/3 L3 2/2 |

Ability Scores:

Attacks and Spells

Attacks:
Frostbite - range 60', Con Save vs DC 15 or 2d6 cold and Disadvantage on next weapon attack
Thorn Whip 30' reach melee spell attack, +7 to hit, 2d6 piercing on hit and target may be pulled 10' toward caster if size L or smaller

Cantrips:
Level 1: Absorb Elements, Faerie Fire^, Goodberry, Healing Word, Speak With Animals, Thunderwave

^ from Drow ancestry - if cast using ancestry slot, casting stat is Cha and save DC is 12
* Land Circle spells

Special Features

Real Soon Now. As soon as I need to use one.

Felvora casts a spell and she, Kat and Mercedes fade a bit. Their voices take on the quality of wind and rustling leaves.

Stealth with Pass Without Trace

Name
Stealth with Pass Without Trace
1d20+12 11

With Felvora's spell obscuring their movements, the group creeps closer to investigate. Ahead, they find a makeshift camp in the center of a small clearing. A few tents are scattered around a small fire and from their vantage point behind the trees, the group spots three goblins. They overhear one of them complain loudly in Goblin.

"Dre sep oths aakt et bck, els ruxithid's onna het ur eads!""Hope the others made it back, else Ruxithid's gonna have our heads!"

It looks like the goblins are packing up and breaking camp.

OOC

Kat Stealth

Edited by TricksterArcane (see edit history)
Name
Kat Stealth
1d20+12 16

spacer.png

Drow Druid 5
Concentration: Pass Without Trace Conditions: None | Inspiration: 0 | Spell Slots: L1 4/4 L2 2/3 L3 2/2 |

Ability Scores:

Attacks and Spells

Attacks:

Cantrips:

* Land Circle spells

Special Features

ARMOR
Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shields
WEAPONS
Club, Crossbow, Hand, Crossbow, Light, Dagger, Dart, Javelin, Mace, Quarterstaff, Scimitar, Sickle, Sling, Spear
TOOLS
Herbalism Kit, Painter's Supplies
LANGUAGES
Common, Druidic, Elvish, Gnomish, Undercommon

Anyone speak Goblin? she whispers.

Looks like they're trying to leave. We could keep tracking them and try to leave a trail, if someone wants to run back and tell the others. Or we could try and spook them into staying here for a couple of hours.

Mercedes

Once at the camp, she likes their chances. Grinning, she looks at Felvora giddily. "Well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't itching for a scrap. They're just goblins; think we can take'em? Maybe bring one back alive? I don't speak the tongue. If we want to track or turn around and bring back the cavalry. Don't make no difference to me. My sweet axe here, though.... she has some thoughts."

Out of Character

Situational:
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:

Name
Mysterious Perception Check
1d20+3 4

As the group contemplates a more direct approach, Felvora notices something peculiar about the goblins ahead. For one, they all appear to be uncharacteristically bald and have enlarged foreheads. The other oddity she notices is that their eyes appear to have a pale green glow to them.

goblin-camp-map.png.3d16289c70369a7b5493b5c6626b231a.png

katrina.png.883a05a31c5c448f61c3bcc8e66f3a36.pngKatrina Fairlight
LN, Female Human| AC:20* | HP:58/58| Speed:30ft | Perception:13 | Insight:10
* Reaction: shield +5 ac | Favored by the Gods: 1 | Speaking thinking
Profile | Character Sheet (DDB)

"I never learnt Goblin, never had the need" Kat takes a long hard look at the goblins trying to work out how they are different "Do they look like normal gobbos to you two?" she whispers to the others.

"There are three of them and three of us, I think we could take them easily if they were just Gobbos, but I have a bad feeling about this, but we best do it soon, more might be about, count the bedding, and tents"

You start to see her draw magic to her, just in case any of you kick it off.

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)

spacer.png

Drow Druid 5

Ability Scores:

Attacks and Spells

Attacks:

Cantrips:

* Land Circle spells

Special Features

ARMOR
WEAPONS
Club, Crossbow, Hand, Crossbow, Light, Dagger, Dart, Javelin, Mace, Quarterstaff, Scimitar, Sickle, Sling, Spear
TOOLS
LANGUAGES

No, they don't look normal - and what they were doing in town doesn't seem like normal goblin behavior, either.

Felvora's known plenty of humanoids and as a result she tries her best to think about them as little as possible. Grumbling inwardly, she wracks her brain for anything that would explain bald glowing-eyed goblins or remind her of bald glowy creatures that could be mistaken for goblins.

General Knowledge Roll, +3 if Nature helps

Name
General Knowledge Roll, +3 if Nature helps
1d20+1 13

image.jpegLotham Pendricky Sheet | Log

Neutral Good, Male Human Wizard 7 (Abjuration)

HP: 44/44 | HD: 7/7 (d6) | AC: 13/16 | Initiative: +2 | PP: 11 | Speed: 30 ft | Prof Bonus: +3 | Arcane Recovery: 1/1

Status: Normal | DM Inspiration: 0 | Spell Slots: L1 4/4 L2 3/3 L3 3/3 L4 1/1 | Defenses | Arcane Ward:  19/19

S

tat Block

Attributes, Saves and Skills

Str 10 Dex 14 Con 14  Int 20 Wis 12 Cha 10

Race Features: Languages, Skill Proficiencies

Background Feature: Field of Study (Grad Student - Wizard's Apprentice), Researcher

Class Features: Spellcasting, Arcane Recovery, Cantrip Formulas

Subclass Features (Gloomstalker): Abjuration Savant, Arcane Ward, Projected Ward

Feats: Keen Mind

Attacks 

Dagger +5 attack, 1d4+2 piercing

Languages, Tool Proficiencies

Common, Primordial, Infernal, Celestial

Spells

Wizard: +9, DC 17

Cantrips: Firebolt, Light, Mage Hand, Mind Sliver

Level 1: Absorb Elements*, Alarm (ritual), Comprehend Languages (ritual), Detect Magic (ritual), Find Familiar (ritual), Mage Armor*, Magic Missile, Shield*, Sleep, Tenser's Floating Disk (ritual)

Level 2: Arcane Lock, Hold Person*, Invisibility, Misty Step*, Web*

Level 3: Counterspell*, Dispel Magic*, Fireball*, Fly*

Level 4: Arcane Eye*, Banishment*

Magic Items

Consumable Magic Items: Potion of Healing

Permanent Magic Items: Tome of Clear Thought, Ring of Protection (attuned), +1 Arcane Grimoire (attuned), Staff of Defense (from Kat)

Inactive Magic Items: Boots of Springing and Striding, Wand of Magic Missiles, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Spider Staff, Dragonguard (inactive), Lightbringer

Familiar Stat Block

Knowledge

Weasel

AC: 13 HP: 1 Speed: 30 ft

Str: 3 (-4) Dex: 16 (+3) Con: 8 (-1) Int: 2 (-4) Wis: 12 (+1) Cha: 3 (-4)

Skills: Perception +3, Stealth +5 
Senses: Passive Perception 13  

Keen Hearing and Smell. The weasel has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) piercing damage.

"A Netherese fragment?" exclaimed Lotham, looking very intrigued. "What can you tell us about that? You say you've been studying it - is there something important about it?"

Lotham then recalled something Halia had said. "The goblins that took the fragment apparently had some kind of telekinetic powers - enough to through Guildmaster Halia around and also to remove the block from the foundation. Is there anything about the Netherese fragment that would tie into this?"

Mercedes

Trying not to pout, Mercedes begins counting, starting over twice as her two companions elaborate on why it's best not to attack and what their actions should be in the mean time. Finally she concludes there are seven bedrolls outside and four tents: how many goblins did that convert to? She was no alchemist, fractions not being her maths of choice. Or was it even fractions? She couldn't say. Either way, the tiefling's tail becomes despondent, simply slack at her feet.

"Seems to me like we've got two choices. We either turn around and go back, or one of us sticks around and the other two go back and get our slowpokes. I'm willing to be the person who sticks around, if need be. You're real quick, Fel: maybe you could be a horse and ride like the wind!" She leans back as if she were behind the reins, but realizes her horse girl fantasies are long behind her. "Or not."

Out of Character

Situational:
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:

katrina.png.883a05a31c5c448f61c3bcc8e66f3a36.pngKatrina Fairlight
LN, Female Human| AC:20* | HP:58/58| Speed:30ft | Perception:13 | Insight:10
* Reaction: shield +5 ac | Favored by the Gods: 1 | Speaking thinking
Profile | Character Sheet (DDB)

"There is always the third option, take the opportunity to attack, and if it goes all tits up we bail" Kat's gruff street accent seems to take over her voice when she says this.

You see her go prone and then summon the magical energy to her hand... "but I'll engage only if you folk are ready... say yes and I'll go"

OOC, Mechanics

Ready action: if either of the other two says "yes", fire off two eldritch blasts at the rightmost goblin.

Name
Eldritch blast (attack, damage: force)
24; 6
1d20+9; 1d10+4 [15]; [15,2]
Eldritch blast (attack, damage: force)
11; 14
1d20+9; 1d10+4 [2]; [2,10]
Favored by the Gods
2d4 4,3

spacer.png

Drow Druid 5
Concentration: Pass Without Trace Conditions: None | Inspiration: 0 | Spell Slots: L1 4/4 L2 2/3 L3 1/2 |

Ability Scores:

Attacks and Spells

Attacks:

Cantrips:

* Land Circle spells

Special Features

ARMOR
WEAPONS
TOOLS
LANGUAGES

Fine, we can attack, but if they try to surrender we should let them. We're more interested in answers than corpses.

With that Felvora chants in Elvish and the plant life in and around the camp bursts into lush growth.

ActionShe casts Plant Growth, centered on the tents, or past them if necessary to not catch the party. It's a 150' range, 100' radius, and creates doubly difficult terrain for anyone in it.

Mercedes

Now they were speaking her language. "Don't have to tell me twice. Yes, let's do this."

Axe still in one hand, she rises up from her hiding spot, drawing a javelin from her pack, and with a cry, begins charging, preparing her throw with a roar, before tossing her javelin at the nearest goblin.

Gods she hopes they're not friendly goblins.

Out of Character

Situational:
Move: Move 30 feet
Action: Throwing Javelin at the nearest Goblin
Bonus Action:
Reaction:

Name
Javelin
1d20+6 8
Damage for Javelin
1d6+3 4

spacer.png

"Come now Lotham, sure you've remembered something from your studies about the empire of Netheril."

Gwyn starts on a long, academic lecture about ancient Netheril before being reigned back on track.

"Oh right the fragment! Well it is hard to say what it does without further time to study it or more of its pieces. It might be a piece of a stature or maybe one of the infamous obelisks. As with many things from the Netherese, it is suffused with magic. It is possible that in its broken state, some of the magic is leaking out. Prolonged exposure could affect those and things around it."