Character Creation

Penchant

42 minutes ago, TheFred said:

Can we still take Sphere-specific drawbacks? These are typically used for focusing in on the spheres a bit (for example, maybe you take Protection, but you only want Aegises... Aegides?... not Wards, so you trade out Wards for an extra talent) but it's never been 100% clear to me how much they are part of casting traditions. They're presented as such, on the same page, but then there are lots of archetypes and things that give you spheres with drawbacks already regardless of what tradition you have.

Can we trade feats for talents? It's kind of VMC for Spheres of Might - it just means that we can have 5 talents for 3 feats or 7 talents for 4 feats rather than having to take Extra Combat Talent at a 1:1 ratio (albeit with some limitations; talents are easier to come by than feats so 1:1 feats for talents feels like a poor trade, honestly).

Yes and yes

Bleh. Unfortunately I'm not going to have time to finish for this, but it was fun theorycrafting - rather unusual setting you have here! Good luck to everyone else.

It seems many apps are incomplete, unfortunately.

(Mine is actually only 95% done, in truth, but I think there's enough to judge.)

Posted (edited)

Okay, I picked 5.

Namo

Starhawk

Greathackster

ManicPixieFatGuy

Laird_Throne

Remember to add your sheets to the game.

You have time to finish details, make changes and ask anything that I haven't yet answered. You are assigned together so you don't need shared histories.

Edited by Penchant (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

I honestly have little experience with the Spheres. I've allowed it mostly as a favor to my players with the understanding that they do not bring the cheese. As long as you can assure me that it's within balance and cheese free, I'd be okay with it. Reading the Black Templar, though, that's a pretty evil class akin to Assassin so I'd reject that one.

10 minutes ago, Penchant said:

I honestly have little experience with the Spheres. I've allowed it mostly as a favor to my players with the understanding that they do not bring the cheese. As long as you can assure me that it's within balance and cheese free, I'd be okay with it. Reading the Black Templar, though, that's a pretty evil class akin to Assassin so I'd reject that one.

That's more than fair. Let me take a look at a build with the Veilweaving Sphere and I'll pitch it to you specifically.

Heya, I'm one of the players who pushed for Spheres - and the only one with a Sphere build currently. (mostly Astrologian Scholar, FYI, focused on Sniper and Divination/Light with long-running buffs)
I'm not an expert with Veilweaving, but I've seen it mentioned a bunch of times with the "poor balance" qualifier, plus it draws in another 3rd party subsystem (Akasha) with which Penchant is not familiar either... I'd recommend going for something more straightforward. This is not a full-on Spheres / 3rd party game.

Just as a comment it's fairly easy to overshadow existing players' standard 1e characters with Spheres also. I'm having to go back and forth quite a bit on my build. Will be throwing in some good alchemical healing rather than Ilya's dodgy magic stuff... 🙃

Edited by Thramzorean (see edit history)

Haha, she heals you by interpreting your horoscope, I don't see what's dodgy about it. 😂

Also, the MVP of the first - and only - encounter was the vanilla ranged Paladin, so you never know!

Starhawk has a very nice build too, he just didn't get to show it off quite yet.

But yeah, it's not a very high-powered game by any means.