Character Creation

Sorithar

On 12/5/2023 at 7:03 PM, TonberryKing said:

Are goblins a monster race or are they allowed in a Faerun game since they have stats in the Minor Races section of the RoF book?

and yes I have melee/warrior designs for them. Possibly.

I'd generally allow them. They'd be a hard sell for this campaign however.

9 hours ago, Thramzorean said:

@Sorithar will need to ask please if the Ardent I've sketched out is permissible per comments earlier in this thread wanting approval for Psionics Handbook/Complete Psionic related materials.

To be honest, I'd rather stay away from full on psionics for PCs at this stage, with the possible exception of a wild power or some such. Too much additional work on my end.

On 12/5/2023 at 5:49 AM, DarthAnthrax said:

No offense, but if you want to keep your players balanced, I think rolling for stats is just a bad idea in general. But what would your suggestion be?

None taken. Lady Luck aside, as I'd said. My suggestion would depend on the circumstances and what the player was trying to achieve, but either way, I'd keep these discussions to selected players/characters.

I think what is trying to be said here is, you are having a number of prospective players not even try creating a character due to poor rolls. Now if you're talking fair play, giving everyone the same rolls or point buy evens the playing field.

I'd be more than happy to create a character if there was the opportunity to say "I'd like a 16 str and con with the rest of my stats being average please" rather than rely on the commoner stats I rolled. Hence my pulling pin after seeing the rolls and not wanting to push/annoy the GM.

9 hours ago, Sorithar said:

To be honest, I'd rather stay away from full on psionics for PCs at this stage, with the possible exception of a wild power or some such. Too much additional work on my end.

I'd rather suspected that might have been the case when the psionics handbook wasn't on the original list. All good, found a viable character for another day. I'll take another stab at something... it's the journey sometimes that's more important than the destination, heh.

On 12/7/2023 at 3:48 AM, Sorithar said:

None taken. Lady Luck aside, as I'd said. My suggestion would depend on the circumstances and what the player was trying to achieve, but either way, I'd keep these discussions to selected players/characters.

What I would be trying to achieve would be to make a competent character who isn´t way behind everyone else :)

On 12/7/2023 at 9:25 AM, TonberryKing said:

Can I request the great scimitar weapon? I found it on the realmhelps website but its source is listed as from Sandstorm.

That's fine, assuming a suitable explanation in the character background.

So, reading up on Daggerford, I'm kinda wondering... are citizens expected to serve all their time in the militia *all at once*?

My character's general idea is she's a barbarian who avenged her brother's killing elsewhere, found she could no longer go home (or rather, stay at Evermeet) and left in exile/vagrancy. She is currently trying (bless her heart) to wise up and just start over but her stony personae is getting in the way.

I guess what I'm asking is, with her joining the party in mind, is anything actually stopping her from leaving active militia duty for a time (and join the party) if she plans to come back? Or should she just be seen as a transient wanderer who never stays long enough to be conscripted (until now?)

Edited by TonberryKing (see edit history)

On 12/9/2023 at 12:30 PM, TonberryKing said:

So, reading up on Daggerford, I'm kinda wondering... are citizens expected to serve all their time in the militia *all at once*?

My character's general idea is she's a barbarian who avenged her brother's killing elsewhere, found she could no longer go home (or rather, stay at Evermeet) and left in exile/vagrancy. She is currently trying (bless her heart) to wise up and just start over but her stony personae is getting in the way.

I guess what I'm asking is, with her joining the party in mind, is anything actually stopping her from leaving active militia duty for a time (and join the party) if she plans to come back? Or should she just be seen as a transient wanderer who never stays long enough to be conscripted (until now?)

Answer to this is a little complex. We can get into it in more detail if your character is selected. Either way, the short answer is yes to leaving militia duty under some circumstances.