Donaar Ironscale

KarDrago

Wizard

Shunned by his family and clan because he showed magical talent Donaar left the clan holding and headed to the nearest town, Findragis. This is a medium size town 2500 residents with a small Mages Guild present. The Guild was reluctant to accept him having serious doubts about him having any ability at all. After putting the doorman into a deep sleep with his Daily Spell 'Sleep', the hapless doorman nearly fell into an adjacent brazier. The Guild accepted his request curious that a Dragonborn would have such ability.

Now having earned his true spell book, he had been using an old recycled scroll, he has set forth to broaden his experience.

Str 12/+1;Dex 13/+1;Con 14/+2;Int 15/+2;Wis 12/+1;Chr 9/-1;Saves 1/1/2/4/3/1;HP 8;ProfBonus +2;Perception 11; AC 11;Initiative +1;Exp 0' QuarterStaff Att Bonus +3;Dmg 1d6+1; Attack vs Reflex +2; Defense: AC 11; Reflex 13; Fortitude 13; Willpower 12;Racial Ability +2 Str, +2 Charisma; Skill Bonus +2 History, +2 Intimidate; Special Attack: Breath, Lightning Cons+2, Attack 1d6 + Com mod, Area 5'x30' Cone, Save Base 12

Yeah... not sure which one you downloaded, The player handbook for 5e is technically not allowed to be a free PDF as that goes against what Hasbro has copyrighted and such

DnD_BasicRules_2018.pdf (wizards.com)

The link above goes to the free basic 5e rules that people are allowed to distribute, it doesn't have the Dragonborn Race (I have that on hand) but it does give you the basics of the wizard class plus how spellcasting works in 5th edition and quite a few spells to pick from.

Here's the most recent version of the Dragonborn, they subdivide it into a few types but this one is the metallic dragonborn

Metallic Dragonborn

You have the following racial traits.

Ability Score Increase. When determining your character's ability scores, increase one score by 2 and increase a different score by 1, or increase three different scores by 1. Follow this rule regardless of the method you use to determine the scores, such as rolling or point buy. The "Quick Build" section for your character's class offers suggestions on which scores to increase. You can follow those suggestions or ignore them, but you can't raise any of your scores above 20.

Creature Type. You are a Humanoid.

Size. You are Medium.

Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet.

Languages. Your character can read, speak, and write Common and one other language that you and your DM agree is appropriate for the character. The Player's Handbook offers a list of languages to choose from. Your DM is free to modify that list for a campaign.

Metallic Ancestry. You have a metallic dragon ancestor, granting you a special magical affinity. Choose one kind of dragon from the Metallic Ancestry table. This determines the damage type for your other traits, as shown in the table.

Dragon Damage Type
Brass Fire
Bronze Lightning
Copper Acid
Gold Fire
Silver Cold

Breath Weapon. When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can replace one of your attacks with an exhalation of magical energy in a 15-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC = 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus). On a failed save, the creature takes 1d10 damage of the type associated with your Metallic Ancestry. On a successful save, it takes half as much damage. This damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).

You can use your Breath Weapon a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Draconic Resistance. You have resistance to the damage type associated with your Metallic Ancestry.

Metallic Breath Weapon. At 5th level, you gain a second breath weapon. When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can replace one of your attacks with an exhalation in a 15-foot cone. The save DC for this breath is 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. Whenever you use this trait, choose one:

• Enervating Breath. Each creature in the cone must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or become incapacitated until the start of your next turn.
  • Repulsion Breath. Each creature in the cone must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be pushed 20 feet away from you and be knocked prone.

Once you use your Metallic Breath Weapon, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.

Thanks, I see I will need to tweak the attribute values, or is the availability of +3 bonus to distribute on top of the standard bonus from the attribute value? i.e. Dex of 12 with +1 bonus, could I add say +1 or +2 with that bonus to make it a 2 or 3?

Otherwise it looks pretty much the same with exception of the Metallic Breath weapon. I can work that in to my character stats.

Thanks for the information.

When it comes to racial ability score increase and any other ability score increase you get in the future, you add the number to the value you put in the stat box, So if you put the 2 points into say strength it would increase it from 12 to 14 giving you an over a +2 strength mod as the formula for stat mod is the stat minus 10 all divided by 2 with the result rounded down. You cannot increase a stat past 20 unless a feature, magical item or other very high-level rule says so. It is also recommended that you try to stick to even numbers for your stats as odd numbers don't add to the bonus due to it rounding down.

You can use either the standard array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 or use 27 point buy to generate your stats. I use this point buy calculator to help determine stats using the custom race option to input the racial ability scores you want to increase. I recommend for a wizard in general to push your intelligence to 16, have your dex and con at 14 and your wisdom at 12 that way you can have a good magical offense, some decent defense and hit points and with your wizard's save proficiency in wisdom will give you a decent wisdom save that will most likely save you from most magical save throws you may have to roll.

Hmm... something seems off about your numbers... *works with the point buy calculator to try and determine what's wrong* Ahh I see the issue. Looks like you added both the standard racial ability score increase for Dragonborn (+2 strength + 1 Charisma) and the Customizable Racial Ability Score Increase in which you added +2 to Intelligence and a +1 to Dexterity

The Customizable Racial Bonus replaces the standard Racial Bonus for your character so it's an either/or not both

*thinks for a minute or two* Ok, yes I see what you are saying, so I will stick with the customizable score as I would rather the increase be Int and Dex. Now that will not change what I have just passed along as I did not change the Str or Chr scores. So those numbers should be good. A question, what would the saving throw value be for the Int? I put a 5 just as a guess.

No I think I see what happened and it's an easy fix

The scores that were generated included the standard racial bonuses (+2 strength +1 charisma) to a standard array with a focus on what stats a wizard needs to function. Unfortunately both Strength and Charisma are dump/unimportant stats for a wizard.