Donaar Ironscale

KarDrago

Okay so with removing the original racial bonus and keeping with the intelligence-based ones, you get the following scores

Str 10/0; Dex 14/2;Con 14/2;Int 17/3; Wis 12/1;Chr 8/-1;Saves: Str 0;Dex 2;Con 2; Int 5;Wis 3;Chr -1

All things considered a decent spread for a wizard character.

Now we move on to background, gear, and spell selection.

From your sheet, I noted you put down the Researcher Feature from the Sage Background which is a typical wizard type background and overall acceptable for the character.

For your Gear I noted you put down the basics from both your background and the class. Because your character has limited strength, I recommend taking a dagger instead of a Quarterstaff as your primary/melee weapon, Daggers can play off of Dexterity which would give you a +4 to hit and a 1d4+2 to damage, instead of a +2 and a plain 1d6 for damage with the quarterstaff, not that it fully matters as wizards don't play in melee but just a thought in case you get caught in it.

Now for your spell selection

Wizards get 3 cantrips at the start. There's a whole bunch of them out there to pick from but I always recommend getting at least one that has range and deals damage like Firebolt, Ray of Frost, or Chill Touch, and grabbing Shocking Grasp a melee spell attack that shocks opponents in melee with lightning damage gaining advantage on the roll on those who wear metal armor and prevents those hit by it from using reactions including opportunity attacks so your Wizard can slip out of melee with the attacker and not worry about getting beat up for running away. Considering your dragonborn elemental type, Shocking Grasp also pairs well with your overall theme.

There are also several of cantrips that are utility based which doesn't deal damage but can provide effects including making a light source, a magical mage hand that can grab objects and trigger things from a distance, and my personal favorite Prestidigitation which has so many useful little effects that I usually don't leave home without it but again there are plenty of options for everything but the ones I mentioned in particular are commonly grabbed.

In addition to cantrips Wizards have a spellbook they get at level 1 that gives you a choice of six level one wizard spells. The main thing to a wizard's spellcasting is that they study their spellbook and prepare a number of spells equal to their Intelligence Mod plus their Wizard level which for you is 4 total. However, there is an additional thing that gives wizards a slight advantage in the spellcasting game and that is ritual spells and how they are able to use them even if they don't fully prepare to use them. When I do take Wizard (which has been a rare class for me as I'm more of a cleric guy myself) I try to have my other two unprepared spells as Ritual Spells so that I can have them all at my disposal.

As for your spell selection, really it's personal choice but there are over 41 level 1 wizards spells all with different types of uses and usefulness depending on the game but you can only pick six at the start. You gain more as you level up and find/buy spell scrolls

Some of the top level 1 wizard spells include Mage Armor which gives unarmored characters an AC of 13 plus their dex mod for 8 hours, Shield which is a reaction spell that project a barrier around you increasing your AC by 5 and making you immune to magic missile for one turn and is useful when you are being targeted by multiple melee/range attack rolls. Magic Missile which shoots off 3 darts of force that auto hit opponents for light force damage and can drive an opposing wizard crazy, if he didn't have shield prepared.

If you want some power attacks, you got a choice between burning hands for a close range fire cone attack, a thunderwave attack that blasts opponents too close to you backwards with a cube shaped explosion of thunder, Chromatic Orb which shoots out a hand sized sphere of elemental energy at one opponent allowing you a choice of elements and then there is Ice Knife, the snow mob's original flash freeze room killer, you peek into a dungeon room see a bunch of low level minions like goblins just fooling around waiting for the enemy to show up, you quietly summon up an ice knife throw it into the room and shut the door, and just grin when you hear the explosion and screams of a mob of goblins as the ice knife explodes into a deadly barrage of ice crystals giving your allies a opening to clear out the remaining ones.

Then of course there's the level 1 spells that don't do damage but are useful in their own ways including Comprehend Language which allows you to understand all verbal language and read all stuff if you run your hand over it, Detect Magic which allows you to lock onto magical objects and other areas, Alarm which can set an mental or physical alarm on an area and allow you or your allies to be alerted to intrusions into a rest area, and Tenser's floating disk which is a transport for treasure and can be used to carry stuff through a dungeon.

The real limit to your spells however is spell slots, you only get 2 lvl 1 spell slots at level 1 which recharge at a long rest and while you are not forced to select a spell for that slot and only use that spell for that slot, you can quickly run out of spell slots after one battle if you are not careful in their use but of course that's why you have attack cantrips and your breath weapon both of which don't need spell slots so that you can always have some sort of offense at your disposal and not having to use your spell slots to get out of things. The only exception is Ritual spells and casting them as a ritual, while it adds time to the spell cast to cast it as a ritual that makes it not viable for combat, they also don't consume spell slots when cast as a ritual. So, they are useful to have and some like detect magic can help you avoid traps and ambushes.

So all and all there are options but there are also limits, I've given you several pointers and such but it's your character's spells

No, Arcane recovery recovers spell slots allowing you to cast more spells of that level. It is not tied to a particular spell. As long as you have an appropriate level spell slot you can cast any spell of that level.

Think of it like recovering magic points in a standard RPG game like final fantasy

timezones really don't matter for PBP, heck I do things at odd hours of the night even though I'm technically PST

So looks like the group going to be two level 3s (human battle master fighter and a... a... *squints at wiz-gat* kobold crafter...) and one level 2 half elf circle of dreams druid, you want to up your level to 2 and unlock a subclass for your wizard that way you can have a special feature as well and try to figure out what type of wizard your dragonborn is.

• 2 weeks later...

Donaar IronScale - Dragonborn Wizard lvl 2

Str 12/+1;Dex 13/+1;Con 14/+2;Int 15/+2;Wis 12/+1;Chr 9/-1;

Saves 1/1/2/4/3/1;

HP 14; - Adjusted up

+2 Perception

AC 11;

Initiative +1;

Exp 342

QuarterStaff/Att Bonus +3/Dmg 1d6+1; 

Skill Bonus

+2 History,

+2 Intimidate;

Special Attack: Breath, Lightning Cons+2, Attack 1d6 + Con mod, Area 5'x30' Cone, Save Base 12

Arcane Tradition: - Adjustment

Abjuration

---------------------------------------------

Cantrips:

Blade Ward

Mage Armor

Fire Bolt

--------------------------------------------

1st Level

Expeditious Retreat

Magic Missile

Thunderwave

11 hours ago, KarDrago said:

A NOTE: reviewing the prior dialogs I missed the location, was thinking we were meeting in an Inn. I will be a bit more attentive next time

Ah, Tavern, Inn. Basically the same when you are in the city. No biggie.