The Plague Lands ((RP Thread))

Papa Bear

image.jpeg.1d0a05a6f58a9e9cb19c15ca9c88a5de.jpegimage.jpeg.a361bebcd51d6946af7a75e2ae7ab972.jpegimage.jpeg.0289f44ca017b965ec925015cb82f55a.jpegimage.jpeg.221aacff7345fffce75318395ffec309.jpegimage.jpeg.3b857565b0a737e3914daef638ba77af.jpeg

image.jpeg.abb5576370d9c955fee6875ffe952394.jpegimage.jpeg.9f142e5e75cfc85f07463f4751b332ad.jpegimage.png.395d5a07e1ea946230c9fffcee2a938e.pngimage.jpeg.0a7aa21462e1b4defd5bdb4e19a99ae4.jpegimage.jpeg

Your Companions going into the Plague Lands, from top to bottom, left to Right; Vrod (Barbarian), Baldric (Paladin), Remy Lars (Dragon Knight), Tiberion (Cleric), Austin (Sorcerer)

Kender (Ranger), Nazara (Blood Knight), Fain (Elementalist), Turlon-Raal (Necromancer), and Lothar (Warrior)

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

The moment you step through the portal, the feeling of wretchedness washes over you, making you feel as if you are ready to puke up your guts.

((OOC: Make a DC 15 Constitution Save against getting sick))

The landscape is vile, filled with putrid stench and rot (Think Nurgle from Warhammer 40K), barren but with noxious pools of what was once water.

image.jpeg.e4fa59f965a4446eee7d781e078001f3.jpeg

"Oh, I hate this place already." Remy Lars groans after hurling her guts out on the soft, probably rotting ground. It feels a bit like walking on tumbling mats beneath your feet.

"We'll be doing all of the universe a favor destroying this place." Vrod says.

"This way." Turlon-Raal says after looking around to gain his bearings.

"Et's worse than a goblin hole, an' that's sayin' sumptin." Tiberion grunts.

Vrod grins and nudges the dwarf. "Admit it, you almost said an Orc hole."

"Nae, even in my realm, goblins still be far more foul than orcs." The dwarf replies.

"Some friendly ribbing is good in this foul place." The warrior, Lothar says with a half smile that almost looks like a frown. "You lot of Jack-a-Roos."

"What in all the hells is a Jack-a-roo? You've been calling us that since we met and I can only assume its something noble and wonderful or something worse than something one of the things in this realm pukes up." Nazara growls at Lothar, who only laughs.

1d7a376f3d924636f450f6f98127f3ee.jpgTroben the Ragler

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 105/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 4/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben looks around breathing in the putrid smell and empties his breakfast on the ground. He groans painfully and says, "Damn. That was a solid breakfast. Welp, it least it tasted good coming back up."

He forces a grin and looks to follow the necromancer.

Tabletop

First let's start with that Constitution Save. The Dwarven girdle grants advantage to poison saving throws: Ugh. Failed.

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)
Name
Constitution Saving Throw (DC 15)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+7 5,3

Mechanic for the Plague Lands;

When you are called to make a CON save against the sickness here (as was this save), you'll lower the DC by -1 each time you succeed but the DC increases by +1 when you fail (to a maximum of DC 15, so no increased DC for Troben from the fail). You'll have to deal with them more often at the beginning but will 'get used to the stench' and will have to make less of them as you go.

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 21 | HP: 91/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft
Stats | Saves | Skills | Spell Slots | Hit Dice: 7/7 | Wild Shape: 2/2
Guiding Bolt: 3/3 | Weal/Woe: 3/3

Eithne's hands flew to her mouth as the most awful stench she could imagine rushed towards her. She'd had no idea that a sense of taste could be traced all the way back to her lungs. She started to wretch, but managed to hold firm until Troben joked about how good it tasted coming back up. Eithne did her best to keep her hair out of her own foul stream.

Minutes later, after nothing else would come back up, a pale Eithne used her staff to gather the shadows again.

Mechanics

Casting pass without trace from her staff.

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
DC 15 Con Save
1d20+4 2

The very large group marches silently onward in the direction Turlon-Raal specified thanks to the magic in Eithne's staff. A group of some kind of demonic 'plague imps' comes hopping toward where the group had arrived in the Plague Lands. They look around but thanks to Eithne's spell, do not see the tracks that a group that size most certainly would have left. Not seeing the companions, the horrid creatures begin eating the remains of Eithne, Troben, and Remy's breakfast that had been expelled from their stomachs.

image.jpeg.12623810bbb4ac05da65c3de56cf4444.jpeg

There are approximately a dozen of them and likely not very powerful as many of the creatures they've encountered such as these are not.

OOC: You can go on, leaving them behind or the group could circle back and wipe them out. You could also get a surprise round on them by succeeding on a stealth check, which should be fairly easy with Eithne's Pass Without Trace spell active.

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 4/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben looks at the little guys and asks, "What do you think? Could we keep any of those guys alive to tell us where to find the Plague Lord? It might be good for us to see how we work together."

He looks to head back and kill the minon-y guys.

Tabletop

Let's do that Stealth check

Name
Stealth check
1d20+11 4

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png

"I'd say no, but knowledge is more useful than safety for the time being."

Eithne stared at the strands of shadow tethered to her staff. It was better than watching the imps eat their bile. While she could cancel the spell at any time, masking their numbers was better for all those involved.

"I'll keep my spell up during the fight. As long as our only tracks remain here, anyone that should look for interlopers would think we left soon after arriving."

Mechanics

Maintaining pass without trace.

"I could probably kill them all with a Fireball spell." Austin says.

"These things are pretty easy to kill, but not the Plague Lord's weakest minions." Turlon Raal says. "I would not waist any of your power on them. The blade and minor flame will suffice." 

"Any one of us could take that group." Nazara scoffs at Austin.

"Be nice, Naz. We were all new to this realm once." Says Lothat. Nazara 'harumphs.'

OOC

These things are pretty easy kills for you. They are not minions, however.

There are 13 of them, each with 20 HP and an AC of 13.. There is a DC 13 CON save when piercing or slashing damage is done to one of them if you are adjacent to it. They sort of "pop" and explode rot and filth in a 5 foot radius. Failing suffers a -2 action penalty until you succeed. Also, succeeding once does not nullify needing to save each time you take their spew.

I was going to do a map because there are plague hazards (one save if adjacent of a DC 12 but DC 15 each round in or moving through) but decided it's pretty trivial for such an easy fight and decided to be lazy just go theatre of the Mind for this one.

Troben asks, "Should we keep one alive to question? Someone has got to know about the big glowy thing that sucking up all the magic."

He moves over to one and looks to hack at it. He hopes to be able to kill a few of them. He manages to hack down two of the creatures pretty quickly.

Tabletop

Lots of attacks this round! I will incorporate the -2 he has from being nauseated.

• Attack #1 - Hits for 16 slashing and 6 fire damage. It should kill it. He had the Con save. This also allows an extra attack due to GWM.
  • Attack #2 - Miss!
  • Attack #3 - Miss!
  • Bonus Attack - Soft Critical for a lot of damage killing it. He made the save.

So two dead.

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)
Name
Greatsword attack #1 vs. Putrid demon 1
1d20+9 10
Attack #1 damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 4,4,6
Con Saving throw (DC 13)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+7 11,5
Greatsword attack #2 vs. Putrid demon 2
1d20+9 1
Greatsword attack #2 vs. Putrid demon 2
1d20+9 2
Bonus Greatsword attack vs. Putrid demon 2
1d20+9 14
Bonus Attack Damage
reroll(6d6,2,below,1)+8 6,6,1,1,4,1,5,5,5
Con Saving Throw (DC 13)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+7 6,1

It was absolutely amazing to Eithne that this place could find new ways to nauseate her. She wasn't even close to the plague imps and she could smell the stench of their bodies through even the rancid odors in the air.

With a though, her wings spread. Eithne took to the air as she summoned lightning to her fingers. She slipped into reach of one imp and let the electricity coruscate into its body before she took wing again.

Mechanics

Maintaining pass without trace. Using a bonus action to use her cloak's wings. Action used to cast shocking grasp as she moves into and out of melee with and imp.

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
Shocking Grasp
1d20+9 16
Lightning Damage (Minor Crit!)
4d8 4,1,4,3

As Troben slashes through two of the vile things, Eithne electrocutes another that somehow manages to survive the jolt. With the filth of two of the creatures on him, Troben gags, but does not purge himself again. Vrod's own blade slashes into one and is amazed that the foul thing yet remained alive... but only for another half second as the big orc finished it off with his backswing. Tiberion steps up along side Eithne and slams the creature she shocked and it dies as well. Austin unloads with fire on another that squeals in pain... or, possibly sexual joy... its hard to tell. The Lady of the Lance spins her spear and jabs it into one of the foul things and, besides being skewered, it bursts into flame and 'dances around' for a moment before falling to the ground, dead. The stink is horrible and it makes Remy puke again. Baldric cuts deeply into one and is able to overcome the foul stink, then slashes into the one Austin burnt, but didn't kill, felling it as well.

Nazara spins forward into the foul creatures and her blade, glowing red and trailing blood (even before she hits anything), slashes deeply into two of the horrid things, killing the first but leaving the second barely hanging on to life. Lothar kills one himself, and finishes off the second that Nazara left. Fain and Kender finish off another while the necromancer and his undead minions finish off another.

The last of them, the thirteenth one, runs up to Remy Lars as she regurgitates and begins a deviant act on her leg, much like a dog. She hardly notices as she attempts to dislodge more of her breakfast that, for the most part, had already come out when you had arrived.

"Gawds, I hate those things." Fain says as she turns to witness the vile plague imp having its way with Remy Lars' leg.

One remaining plague spawn ('on' Remy's leg) Whomever posts first can deal with it, assuming you want to RP it that way for your character. Otherwise, Vrod will kill the thing with extreme prejudice (He's pretty honorable for an orc and this 'act' disgusts him) if you both choose not to kill it yourselves.

These things are normally d8 ME rolls, but because of the magic draining device, you have to unfortunately roll a d12.

The group killed 12 so far, so lets just have each of you roll for six of the ME rolls. With the new site, I'm not sure what the 'code' is for the expanding die roll and honestly, I think that part was more paperwork than it was worth as it has had very little benefit thus far (I think you guys did earn one extra ME because of a great roll once, but, meh) So we'll just roll the ME rolls straight up. It will just be easier in a couple different ways.

Troben grimaces as the plague imps burst in putrid clouds as they die. Seeing the last one defiling Remy's leg causes him to grin. With a skillful slash, Troben cuts the foul monster in two leaving the Lady of the Lance unharmed...except for whatever of the monster's fluids are on her leg. He yells at it, "No means no!"

With a more serious expression, he asks Remy, "Are you alright? At least now you know where to head if you are looking for a date! Hopefully, by the time we are done, this place looks nothing like this!" He pats her heartily on the back.

His stomach still queasy, he looks ready to go. Before they head out, he catches Nazara's eye and holds up three fingersIndicating how many of the beasties he killed. with a grin.

Tabletop

Looking forward to getting this -2 off poor Troben.

Nazara scowls. "That last one doesn't count!" She growls. "It knew it was dead and was trying to get some pleasure for itself before you killed it. I'd have killed it first if I were closer. You wouldn't grant me a count of three if I had!"

"I'd have to agree." Lothar says with a nod.

"Bah, ye be onna her team. 'Course ye take her part!" Tiberion grunts back... and when he scowls, boy can he really scowl!

"I have to say I agree with Nazara. Killing a defenseless creature hardly counts." Baldric says, then winks at Tiberion. "And I'm not 'on her team.'"

"A kill's a kill, by whatever circumstance." Vrod says.

"Pfft, take your kill. I'll still outscore you by the time we've finished here." Nazara growls again, turning and storming off in the wrong direction, pointed out quickly by Turlon-Raal. The Blood Knight quickly turns in the appropriate direction.

After pulling a bit of cloth and wiping off her face then her 'defiled leg', Remy Lars leans in toward Eithne and whispers, "Is that how I looked before I was cleansed? Perhaps she needs to be purified too."

ร—
ร—