The Plague Lands ((RP Thread))

Papa Bear

Troben kills one of the remaining two maggots as Vrod charges from across the 'room', slashing deeply into the terrible thing twice, nearly killing it and leaving it vulnerable to a simple fire bolt spell from Austin to finish it off. Everyone moves toward the two maggots and pull up when they see them fall.

Baldric speaks up first. "Well, I guess I was wrong. I don't hear anything from that... that passage."

"I like killing foul things, but I do not like this place at all." Vrod grouses.

"That makes all of us, big guy." Austin replies.

ooc

Troben gets three ME rolls for the maggots he's killed at 1d10

Also, the maggot Remy, Vrod and Tiberion kill produces an ME. I'll let one of you roll to see what kind it turns out to be.

The last one that Vrod (Rolled good damage for Vrod) and Austin kill doesn't produce an ME.

you also killed this guy; Plague Monster Mystic Essence Roll: 5d6

1d7a376f3d924636f450f6f98127f3ee.jpgTroben the Ragler

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 95/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 3/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben nods as the last of the maggots is crushed. He hears Baldrick's words and scowls. He adds, "I don't trust this place. You could have heard something, and it's just lurking. Anyone need to rest or can we keep going?"

Moving closer to Eithne, he adds, "And keep an eye out for mushrooms. We may need to call on our friend at some point."

Tabletop

Troben is ready to keep moving. He doesn't need a short rest at this point. He does suggest then use his echo avatar and send it down the passage ahead of them to see what happens.

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 21 | HP: 91/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft
Stats | Saves | Skills | Spell Slots | Hit Dice: 7/7 | Wild Shape: 2/2
Guiding Bolt: 0/3 | Weal/Woe: 3/3

"I will," Eithne nodded and struck her staff on the pulsating ground. A new prong emerged on its head to create a fork. As she wove a new spell, the shadows ceased their protection.

"Speaking of the toad, it's time to use the information I got from him. I know exactly what the device looks like and, hopefully I can lead us straight there."

Mechanics

Eithne drops pass without trace and casts locate object.

"True enough." Baldric replies to Troben. "I hope no one needs a rest so soon. We are on an hourglass of unknown duration. I would hate to be lounging about and have that cursed thing finish taking in all the power it needs."

There is a round chorus of assorted 'I'm ready' responses from the group.

As Eithne's spell takes hold, she gets a clear sense for where the thing is. She can sense it and its power up and to the south of her and she gets the feeling that of the 'exits' from the room, the one in which Baldric thinks he heard something is the direction she thinks is best.

The 'hall' moving forward is crowded and you have to move through in single file and cannot escape touching the ooze and stink as parts of it close in small enough that even a halfling could not fit but spongy enough that it stretches to allow you to press your way through. Then the 'hall' opens up into a new kind of stink and the room seems to be puss fill welts all around the floor and with each step, the 'skin' breaks and fresh puss oozes out. In the 'room' are four strange looking creatures like strange millipedes that can stand sort of upright and having multiple tentacles. They seem to be tending to, and possibly feeding, all sorts of larvae scattered around the 'room'. In the far side, directly opposite you, is a horrible looking... thing... standing nearly 20 feet in height and is nearly as wide as it is tall.

Eithne senses that the path out of the 'room' nearest this horrid thing (the big one, not the four smaller ones) is the way they need to go.

The creatures don't pay any mind to the new arrivals.

(new map up)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 3/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben eyes the room and says quietly, "If we have to get beyond that behemoth, no way we get out of here without a fight. Baldrick and Vrod, take the east side. Remy and I have the west. Let's take out the servants first and then focus on that giant thing together."

His echo hovers slightly above the ground to avoid the "gooey" floor.

Tabletop

We don't know how tough these guys are. My thought is to have Remy and Troben attack Plague Servant 1 and leave Plague Servant 2 to Vrod and Baldrick. Ranged support can go at anything. The important thing is that we are killing these things quickly to focus on the Plague Mother.

Initiative: 18

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)
Name
Initiative (advantage)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+4 14,8

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png

Stats | Saves | Skills | Spell Slots | Hit Dice: 7/7 | Wild Shape: 1/2

"I would've suggested the same."

Eithne's form collapsed in on itself, leaving the dark form of her true self behind. From the depths of the void she had to admit her starry expanse of wings behind her were a nice touch.

"On your signal then Troben. If the behemoth tries to intervene I'll do my best to delay it."

Mechanics

Eithne spends another minute of her cape's flight and uses one of her wild shape uses to take the archer starry form.

They do NOT have initiative. You have surprise on them even though they likely see you but are ignoring you for some reason. So you each get a free round against them then I'll roll an initiative up for the Rotties and we'll go from there. Troben has a nice 18 Initiative roll already :D

Troben's echo glides across the puss-covered ground towards the nearest servant. It nods back to the group and starts the attack on the mutant slug-like creature. The shadowy reflection attacks with a trio of sword swing looking to hack into the creatures.

Tabletop

It's go time. Troben moves the echo next to Plague Servant 1 and will attack.

• Attack 1 - hits AC 18 for 19 slashing and 4 fire damage.
  • Attack 2 - hits AC 26 for 15 slashing and 1 fire damage (add 8 slashing and 4 fire, if it was a critical hit)
  • Attack 3 - hits AC 14 for 15 slashing and 6 fire damage.

Name
Flaming greatsword attack vs. Plague Servant 1
1d20+11 7
Slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 6,5,4
Flaming greatsword attack #2 vs. Plague Servant 1
1d20+11 15
Slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 6,2,1,1,1
If it was a critical
reroll(3d6,2,below,1) 3,5,4
Flaming greatsword attack #3 vs. Plague Servant 1
1d20+11 3
Slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 1,5,2,2,6

Hot on the heels of Troben's echo, Eithne swooped in behind it the add her own gout of flame to the warrior's searing slashes. A raised staff brought down a minute comet on the servant beyond. That was also the signal for the others to lock down the eastern side of the room.

Mechanics

Owl Cloak: 9 rounds remaining

Starry Form: 9.9 minutes remaining

Eithne moves south 20 ft. She uses her action to cast produce flame on servant 1. She'll use her archer attack on servant 4.

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
Produce Flame
1d20+9 10
Fire Damage
2d8 4,5
Archer Attack
1d20+9 19
Radiant Damage (Minor Crit)
2d8+6 5,1

image.jpeg.70bf174806783cfecad010cf655c53da.jpeg

Before the horrible monstrosities even seem aware of the group of heroes that entered their 'hatchery' chamber, the rush from the heroes overwhelmed the creatures, nearly killing two of them outright. The creatures turn to view their attackers as the onslaught continues.

Both Baldric and Tiberion puke up their guts from the foul aura around the strange slug-like creatures. Vrod manages to hold it back. Remy utilizes the length of her Dragonspear to keep out of the aura of plague surrounding the creatures.

On 2/7/2024 at 4:36 PM, Papa Bear said:

They do NOT have initiative. You have surprise on them even though they likely see you but are ignoring you for some reason. So you each get a free round against them then I'll roll an initiative up for the Rotties and we'll go from there. Troben has a nice 18 Initiative roll already :D

Their lowly 6 initiative means you guys get to act in the 'first round' after your surprise attack. No need for Eithne to roll for initiative as I'd be in block anyway.

Plague Servants

AC: 15 HP: 75

Resistances: ??

Vulnerabilities: ??

Attacks

Plague Aura: DC 14 CON Save or spend your next action puking up your guts and then has the Poisoned Condition and may attempt a save each round to overcome it, including after the 'stunned' round of puking.

Plague Mother

AC: ?? HP: ??

Attacks

??

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)
Name
Initiative for the Plague Servants
1d20+1 5

Troben's echo looks to finish off the badly wounded plague servant that Eithne pushed to the brink of death. With a silent growl, he drives his sword into the massive pile of putrid flesh, and it collapses in a pile of ooze. Troben moves in further and sends his echo to help Vrod. He cuts it once and then winds up slicing through the mid-section of the icky puss monster cleaving it in two parts.

Troben says to Vrod, "The big lady is next! Leave the other tentacly guys to the others."

Looking to the woman close to him, he adds, "You're getting slow Remy. Our side is down. When are you guys going to catch up?!"

He knows that will rile her, but hopefully in a competitive way and not an aggressive one.

Tabletop

Troben will try to finish off Plague Servant 1.

• Attack #1 - hits with a soft critical for a total of 39 damage.

That will kill it, for certain. Troben moves closer and then he moves his echo next to Plague Servant 4 and continues his attack. Please note the extra bonus attack for GWM.

• Attack #2 - hit for 17 slashing and 3 fire damage.
  • Bonus Attack - soft critical hit for 21 slashing and 9 fire damage.

That likely kills Plague Servant 4 too. Let us know what the ME rolls are!

Name
Flaming greatsword attack #1 vs. Plague Servant 1
1d20+11 16
Soft Critical slashing/fire damage
reroll(6d6,2,below,1)+8 6,6,2,1,6,5,5,3
Flaming greatsword attack #2 vs. Plague Servant 4
1d20+11 12
Slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 2,5,3,4
Flaming greatsword bonus attack vs. Plague Servant 4
1d20+11 16
Soft Critical slashing/fire damage
reroll(6d6,2,below,1)+8 1,1,4,2,6,1,2,1,6,3

It was time for Eithne to hold up her end. Another comet flew and dove into the torso of the unattended servant. She knew it wouldn't kill the thing. In reality she was softening it up for what came next. The Measure grew thorns and spike as both her hands grasped the haft and raised the staff above her head.

With a resounding crack, the head split into razor sharp vines and tendrils. They tore through the soft ground to rise like a wave that crested upon three of the putrid creatures.

Mechanics

Owl Cloak: 8 rounds remaining

Starry Form: 9.8 minutes remaining

Wall of Thorns: 5 minutes remaining

Eithne stays put. She uses her bonus action to attack servant three. With her action she uses 6 charges from her staff to cast wall of thorns with her action as a 60 ft. line through servant 3, servant 4, and the plague mother. DC 17 DEX Save or they take 7d8 piercing damage. If they save they take half. At the start of their turn, since they're in the wall, they take the damage and the save again. Every one foot of movement costs four feet, 5 ft costs 20 ft. This mostly applies to the plague mother, but if she can't make it off that line by the end of her turn she'll have to make a 3rd save and damage.

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
Archer Attack
1d20+9 13
Radiant Damage
1d8+6 7
Wall of Thorns (Piercing Damage)
7d8 6,7,5,1,5,6,8

image.jpeg.82480ab1775d42f27f6a97a24d562da2.jpegTroben and his echo get the killing blows on two of the Plague Servants that were near death. Eithne creates a wall of thorns that causes hundreds of larvae to squeal a high pitched screech as they die painfully. A few dying at once can hardly be heard. But the mass of them being ripped apart by the thorns creates a brief, loud 'nails on the chalk board' kind of sound.

Tiberion and Baldric finish off the nearest Plague Servant (though, Tiberion's hammer may have only grazed it) as Remy presses her attack on the Plague Servant emerging through the thorny wall, missing with the first attack as she moves forward then recoils. Still, the great reach of her Dragon Lance allows her to remain outside of the horrid stench of the thing.

With the thing dead at their feet, Tiberion and Baldric step away from the foul stench to regain their composure.

You could hear Austin's incantations behind you, but whatever happened to the fire bolt he launched is anybody's guess.

image.jpeg.9db8c367017e4da25e420a4b98952c10.jpegVrod turns as the Plague Servant he was fighting dies (and is also engulphed in thorns) and charges at the Plague Mother, slashing into her twice. But the blade doesn't seem to affect her as much as the death of three of her Servants and hundreds of her 'babies', which sends her flying off into a rage. A massive mane from her head whips down on Vrod who dared to 'touch' her. It is covered in sharp, jagged 'teeth' and it draws blood from the brute orc. While the strange mane/tongue thing slashes at Vrod, the many tentacles from her face reach out to Troben and wrap around him, holding and squeezing him.

The strange Plague Servant hisses something in its tongue and Remy gets a glazed look on her face and plops down on the ground in front of it.

OOC: Troben is grappled. He needs a DC 15 Escape Artist (DEX) to get out of the hold (of course, that won't stop his Echo...but still, squeeze damage, which was 13 this turn... it can get a lot higher)

Remember, the Plague Mother is a Huge creature that has a 15 foot reach.

Plague Servants

AC: 15 HP: 75

Attacks

Plague Aura: DC 14 CON Save or spend your next action puking up your guts and then has the Poisoned Condition and may attempt a save each round to overcome it, including after the 'stunned' round of puking.

Spells: Command

Mystic Energy Roll: 2d8, +1 (but 3d10 with the essence drain)

Plague Mother

AC: 18 HP: ??

Special Abilities: Rage (only after a large number of deaths of her 'babies' and servants)

Attacks

'Tongue Lash': +11, 5d6+6 (+3 more with rage)

Tentacle Grab: +11 2d8+2 (+3 more with rage). The target must succeed at a DC 15 Escape Artist check or remain in the grapple. The Plague Mother gets an automatic squeeze on any target in her grasp. She can split her tentacles between two targets but the damage is halved.

Summary

Mystic Energy rolls: Lets roll one each. The one killed by Baldric yielded a roll of 7, 7, and 3... so nothing.

Troben is grappled and suffers 13 damage.

Vrod's rage really helped reduce the damage that was done to him.

You guys are up!

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)
Name
Plague Servant 3 Save
1d20+1 12
Plague Servant 4 Save
1d20+1 15
Plague Mother first Save
1d20+2 13
Plague Mother second Save
1d20+2 12
Plague Mother 'bite' on Vrod
1d20+11 14
Plague Mother Grapple/Squeeze on Troben
1d20+11 17
Squeeze Damage on Troben
2d8+5 1,7

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 82/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Troben looks down at the tentacles wrapped around him and grins. He says, "Someone is in for a surprise!"

Without much fanfare, he switches places with his echo and then quickly moves in to attack the Plague Mother next to Vrod. He hacks at the monstrosity twice and manages to carve through it's layers of slime and inflict some damage.

Tabletop

My understanding of the grapple rules are that you can make either an Athletics or Acrobatics check to escape. Escape Artist was a 3.5e skill, if I remember right. 😀 Regardless, it's a moot point because he isn't escaping. He's teleporting!

Bonus action:  Switch places with his echo.

Action:  Time to attack the Plague Mother!

• Attack #1 - hits for 18 slashing and 3 fire damage.
  • Attack #2 - Miss!

Name
Flaming greatsword attack #1 vs. Plague Mother
1d20+11 10
Slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 5,5,3
Flaming greatsword attack #2 vs. Plague Mother
1d20+11 6