The Plague Lands ((RP Thread))

Papa Bear

1d7a376f3d924636f450f6f98127f3ee.jpgTroben the Ragler

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 87/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 3/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben growls annoyed and says, "Oh, hells no! No, no, no! This ain't gonna happen. Someone dispel that crap!"

Without waiting for a solution, the echo knight moves his image next to the abomination and looks to unleash a mountain of pain on the creature.

Tabletop

Start with the Dexterity Saving Throw (DC 17, advantage): Saved! 10 damage

Troben will move his echo next to Mourn and attack. Without knowing its resistances or AC, it's hard to figure out how "all in" I want to go here, but let's see where it goes.

• Attack #1 - hits AC 18 for 20 slashing and 3 fire damage.
  • Attack #2 - hits AC 18 for 18 slashing and 4 fire damage.
  • Attack #3 - hits AC 14...I will assume that's a miss.

He will also use an unleash incarnation to attack one more time as a bonus action.

• Bonus attack - hit AC 17 for 18 slashing and 1 fire damage.

Hmm, a very uninspiring round! Maybe next time.

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)
Name
Dexterity Saving Throw (DC 17)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+1 9,17
Flaming greatsword attack #1 vs. Mourn
1d20+11 7
Slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 2,1,3,6,6
Flaming greatsword attack #2 vs. Mourn
1d20+11 7
Slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 6,4,4
Flaming greatsword #3 vs. Mourn
1d20+11 3
Flaming greatsword bonus attack vs. Mourn
1d20+11 6
Slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 5,5,1,1

When Troben's first attack cuts through Mourne, the thing shatters and dissolves in a similar way as his echo does... but not quite the same. Troben's seen the effect before. Mirror Image. Troben can hear laughter from farther down the corridor. Apparently this terrible thing can concentrate on multiple spells at once (at least two) and has some way to see and communicate with them in the corridor from somewhere else!

OOC: Troben obviously notes the Mirror Image spell and would NOT Unleash Incarnation. Technically, He's only made one attack this round!

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 87/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 3/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben blinks surprised when the image shatters. He say a bit startled, "It was an echo...an image! I hear it down the hallway. I'm going after it!"

Both his echo and the warrior continue to run down the passage.

Tabletop

Troben will move the echo its full 30 feet. He has a movement of 40 this first round (due to dread ambusher). If he encounters another creature, he will attack it as well.

Since he already used his action to attack (if only once), he cannot use dash or anything like that. I'll roll another attack here just in case it's needed. If he can hit anything, it hits for 15 slashing, 5 fire or 21 slashing and 8 fire on a soft crit.

Name
Flaming greatsword attack #2 vs. Mourn
1d20+11 17
slashing/fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 2,5,5,2
Extra damage (if soft crit)
reroll(3d6,2,below,1) 3,3,2,3

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 21 | HP: 70/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft
Stats | Saves | Skills | Spell Slots | Hit Dice: 7/7 | Wild Shape: 1/2
Guiding Bolt: 0/3 | Weal/Woe: 3/3

"I can take care of it..."

Twin swells of psychic pressure and flame hit Eithne as she started to focus on her ring. Crimson trickled out of her nose, her skin sizzled, but the pain was nothing as she found her spiritual footing. Free of the distraction, she sought to free Vrod.

Her wings flared out and she swooped towards him...

Mechanics

Starry Form: 3 minutes remaining

Owl Cloak Wings: 10 rounds

Activating the cloak with a bonus action. Moving towards Vrod. Eithne casts protection from evil and good from her stone giant ring on Vrod. The spell says willing creature, but I thought it could be used on a controlled target based on the advantage granted part.

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
DC 16 WIS Save
1d20+10 3
Advantage
1d20+10 15
DC 17 DEX Save
1d20+4 2

Posted (edited)

OOC: OK, unfortunately Vrod is part of the enemy's initiative and acts before Eithne. As Troben takes off running, Vrod will make an attack of opportunity on Troben then chase after him, and unfortunately has the same speed. Vrod will get three attacks on Troben 🫣 But the good news is that Eithne's plan worked and Vrod rerolls his save and succeeds. I'd consider Vrod "Willing" Because that would be his natural state. He is being controlled and thus, acting against his wishes.

As Troben turns his back to the large orc, Vrod brings his ax down at the knight and brings the blade across Troben's back. The big orc chases after the knight, swinging twice at him, missing the first time but catching Troben. Troben's movements probably helped the hits catch less flesh. Tiberion and Baldric turn on Austin and are left behind in the corridor as Remy and Eithne (like an avenging angel) give chase after Vrod and Troben. Eithne uses his blessings on the big Orc whose eyes blink rapidly as he comes back to his senses.

"Troben! Brother! I ... I ... " Vrod drops to his knees before the Knight. "Please, strike me down. I have failed you and betrayed you!"

OOC Technically, Troben still has an attack left.

You guys are still in the corridor, no sight of Mourne.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)
Name
Vrod Opportunity Attack on Troben
1d20+9 14
Vrod's first attack on Troben
1d20+9 8
Vrod's second attack on Troben
1d20+9 17
Vrod hits with the AoO (Unless there is an item T has that helps when he provokes... I looked, but didn't see something)
1d12+8 4
Vrod hits with his second attack
1d12+8 6

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 92/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Troben looks surprised at Vrod and says, "Wait, you hit me? Those scratches? That's not a hit; it's a tickle."

He grins at the big orc and hits him on the shoulder saying, "Not your fault, big guy. Let's go find this Mourne and make him a pile of goo on the floor. Everyone, keep an eye out. He's a caster, so he may be lurking around here invisible."

He continues down the passage looking around and drinking a potion.

Tabletop

That image might have been close to the Mislead spell. He will first make a perception check. If he doesn't find anything, both Troben and his image will move 30 feet down the passage.

Perception check: 18

If he doesn't encounter Mourne within 30 feet, he will drink a potion of superior healing (8d4+8).

Name
Perception check
1d20+6 12
Potion of superior healing
8d4+8 2,2,4,2,2,4,3,4

Posted (edited)

"You are generous. I may not have been so forgiving." Vrod says, pulling out a knife and cuts it across his hand, squeezing blood out that drops on the ground. "Your blood is my blood. My life is your life." He says.

While this is going on, Tiberion uses Ethne's trick on Austin, who suddenly comes to his own senses. "What...what happened?". He says but has a sick look of knowing on his face.

Moving cautiously down the corridor, the group finds no sign of Mourne save for a wheezing cackle from time to time until you approach a room.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

Troben looks back to his companions to see if they are ready. He considers sending in his echo first to scout things out, but Mourne already knows they are coming. But it might trigger a trap. He says softly, "I'm gonna send my echo into the room to check things out. I will let you know if we need to prep spells, etc."

His echo glides soundlessly into the room as Troben transfers his consciousness to the echo.

Tabletop

Use the avatar ability to head into the room to see what to expect in there.

The echo enters the room ahead. Troben sees Mourne, or at least another 'echo' of it, standing at the far end of an elongated room with two larger monsters close to the entrance and a fog, or mist... no wait, looking closer, it seems it is some kind of swarm of flies... rot flies or some such thing knowing this area. The monsters notice the Echo and start charging. It is immediately destroyed and Troben is brought back into his own senses.

The monsters will be to you in about a round...

image.jpeg.690c75de77c827b90134ec6b631edde7.jpeg

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 21 | HP: 70/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft
Stats | Saves | Skills | Spell Slots | Hit Dice: 7/7 | Wild Shape: 1/2
Guiding Bolt: 0/3 | Weal/Woe: 3/3

"Maybe not as forgiving, but I trust you'd know our true intent and not some conjured ire," Eithne pricked her finger on a leftover conjured thorn and added her blood to Vrod's, "For as long as I am able, you'll live and die as yourself Vrod."

With the warning given by Troben, Eithne went straight to work. Much of her magic lay in binding elements of nature to her will. Unfortunately, this meant most of her best magic would be quickly drained away. The spell in the stone she retrieved was not among that number. A simple snare that could last. A coil of rope followed and, in a flash, the trap was laid to the corridor's side. That was her best chance to catch one of the smaller demons unaware.

The prep work finished, she returned to the side of her companions. Light danced across the Measure's surface and she waited for a suitably big target to pique her deadly interest.

Mechanics

Starry Form: 2.9 minutes remaining

Owl Cloak Wings: 9 rounds

Protection from Evil and Good on Vrod: 5 minutes

Eithne will travel 30 ft forward to cast a snare along the side of the corridor. She'll move 30 ft back and hold an arrow attack for the first large creature that comes within 60 ft of her.

Edited by Powderhorn
Wikidot Link Removed (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, Papa Bear said:

Snare... Is that a spell or an ability?

SnareCasting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (30 feet of cord or rope, which is consumed by the spell)
Duration: Until dispelled or triggered

While you cast this spell, you use the cord or rope to create a circle with a 5-foot radius on a flat surface within your reach. When you finish casting, the cord or rope disappears to become a magical trap.

The trap is nearly invisible and requires a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC to be found.

The trap triggers when a Small creature or larger moves into the area protected by the spell. The triggering creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall prone and be hoisted into the air until it hangs upside down 3 feet above the protected surface, where it is restrained.

The restrained creature can make a Dexterity saving throw with disadvantage at the end of each of its turns and ends the restrained effect on a success. Alternatively, another creature that can reach the restrained creature can use an action to make an Intelligence (Arcana) check against your spell save DC. On a success, the restrained effect also ends.
- It's a spell!

As his echo vanishes, Troben blinks and says, "A big Mourne-ish monstrosity is heading this way and fast. Oh, and some swarms of ugly flies. You have a few seconds before it's on us!"

With a nod, a new echo appears. This one is just a shadowy, scrawny teenage version of himself. Troben puts his palm on his face and says, "Ugh. I hate this guy! I was so scrawny back then, way before I took things more seriously."

The echo knight gets ready for the worst.

Tabletop

No other actions at this time. He needs to wait until they are actually in combat.

Name
Initiative (advantage)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+4 19,20