The Plague Lands ((RP Thread))

Papa Bear

Troben's echo cleaves into the flesh of the blurry Plague Servant, unhindered by the effects of its defensive spell. But it does not fall until the starry blast of her radiance hits it. It falls to the ground, dead as Remy, Vrod, and Baldric lash out with their respective weapons that flash through thin air.

Remy turns quickly toward Troben. "You did not score that kill." She says, knowing Troben's count exceeds her own.

"Any o' ye need patchin' oop?" Tiberion says. "Me fears any wound be festerin' an' soon in a this place."

1d7a376f3d924636f450f6f98127f3ee.jpgTroben the Ragler

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 82/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 3/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben grins at Remy and says, "Nope, I sure didn't. Even if I got that kill, you guys did all the work. Kill poaching is for chumps."

He answers the dwarf saying, "Sure, I just need a little. I will manage the rest on my own."

Finally, he says, "Let's keep going. Before Eithne lost her spell, she was saying we need to keep going south here beyond the big demon lady over there. Let's heal up and keep moving."

Tabletop

The last instruction from the locate object was to go south. We can easily go around that wall of thorns or just stop concentrating on it.

On 2/22/2024 at 6:53 AM, Papa Bear said:

The Drain: Also, Eithne, Tiberion, Baldric and Austin have been inside this thing now a little while and can feel the Essence Drain pulling at them. Each must make a Save using their Casting Modifier (WIS for Eithne, Tibby, and Baldric, CHA for Austin). The DC is 'easy' for now (but will grow by +1 as you get closer to the Arcane Sponge. DC 12

With each fail, you keep a cumulative total of the points by which you fail. Every 10 points accumulated equals 1 spell drain. This can be a first level spell, a sorcery point, a use of a magical ability, etc. If you opt to drain a higher level spell slot, then it downgrades to the next lower spell slot (a level 3 spell slot downgrades to a level 2 spell slot, etc).

I'm still trying to figure out how, if at all, this will affect Troben's Abilities. Vrod and Remy are unaffected. The Dragonlance is immune to the drain.

FYI, all of your allies made the save. I didn't see if Eithne made the save yet.

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 21 | HP: 78/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft
Stats | Saves | Skills | Spell Slots | Hit Dice: 7/7 | Wild Shape: 1/2
Guiding Bolt: 0/3 | Weal/Woe: 3/3

As the last servant toppled, Eithne severed the vines anchored to her staff and reopened the southern path. With their source vacant, the icy thorns quickly melted away into nothing, joining the wretched fluid the floor was awash in. The tender wasted no time in solidifying the various orbs nearby now that she was free to move about.

"I wouldn't be averse to some healing, if you have the spells to share. Otherwise, I too can provide some healing for those that need it."

Mechanics

Owl Cloak: 3 rounds remaining

Starry Form: 9.3 minutes remaining

Eithne keeps starry form up until she runs out of time for it.

Posted (edited)

Tiberion assesses the wounds of Vrod, Troben and Eithne and uses his divine blessings to mostly close up the wounds (Tiberion is a Life Cleric, that's where the high bonus comes from). There is little in the room but viscera and it soon becomes apparent that there is nothing for them to take with them but the Essence that Eithne solidified into orbs.

The larger passageway south leads to another similar room as the one that the companions had just fought in, however there is no Plague Servants or a Plague Mother to watch over the foul things growing up in this 'nursery area'. However, there are many large larvae and what looks like baby versions of some of the horrible things they have already fought in this realm, including several things that would likely grow up into somethings they had not yet seen.

(((OOC: You can chose to kill the terrible 'baby' things, but it will take some time (not a whole lot) and/or resources (such as Austin lobbing in a fireball to burn it all up quickly). Just let me know if you move through or kill away (and what resources you might use up if you do to save some time)))

There is another opening in the new area to the south as well as two others, one east and west as if the 'room' were a mirror image of the room where you fought the Plague Mother. Continuing on, you notice that the foulness doesn't seem to be quite a bad, which is welcomed. At any other time, you'd likely be losing your lunch, but after what you've already experienced here, this is positively quaint. Not too much later, you come upon a figure in the corridor.

image.jpeg.796f3f2c74920feaad28b19b2ab7c08a.jpeg"There you are." the thing says then taking a heavy, gasping breath. "You've been very - wheezing breath -naughty." it says then grins in a wide, disgusting smile before it gasps again. "Why have you come?"

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)
Name
Tiberion heals Troben
2d8+8 2,5
Tiberion heals Eithne
2d8+8 5,5

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 97/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 3/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben pats the dwarf on the back feeling great.

As they pass through more of the horrid room full of their vile creatures. The echo knight frowns and says, "I hate to leave them alive, but I am not sure it's worth the effort. Plus, Austin only has so many spells; I would rather save it for the demon lord."

As they trek further and come upon the new chamber, a strange mirror of the room they fought in. As the unusual demon talks to them, Troben grins. It didn't ask who we were! That cannot only mean he's already heard of me! He then says, "Well, then. It seems we need no introduction. Our legend grows, even in this place. I wouldn't call us 'naughty,' but more what we must do. Unfortunately, we are at a disadvantage. You clearly have heard of us, but who are we speaking to?"

Tabletop

I'm not sure I want to announce our intentions yet. Is this guy the demon lord? He may also be with the toad demon....maybe an ally.

image.jpeg.26723544fb7498ef7d49167caf9bce95.jpeg"I am - wheezing gasp - Mourn and I only - wheezing gasp - know you to be - wheezing gasp - invaders to this - wheezing gasp - place."

As the abomination speaks you notice the strange red pustules on the side of its head throb. Slowly you feel a sense of calm wash over you and you begin to feel as if you can trust this... well, not quite as horrible looking thing as you initially thought...

OOC: OK, I'll need DC 15 Wisdom Saves from you for, what I'm assuming, is an obvious reason.

Austin and Vrod Failed (Vrod critically).

Everyone else succeeded

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 97/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Troben looks strangely at the odd creature and then starts laughing. He points at the hideous thing doubled over in laughter and says, "He tried to CHARM me! Oh, it's on! Kill it!"

Tabletop

He will make a Wisdom saving throw with advantage due to the mantle of spell resistance: Saved!

Troben plans to kill it.

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)
Name
Wisdom Saving Throw (advantage; DC 15)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+6 1,14
Initiative (advantage)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+4 15,6

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 21 | HP: 91/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft
Stats | Saves | Skills | Spell Slots | Hit Dice: 7/7 | Wild Shape: 1/2
Guiding Bolt: 0/3 | Weal/Woe: 3/3

Eithne didn't say anything. She was much too busy fighting off the emaciated figure's intrusion into her mind. She did manage to do it, but only by the skin of her teeth. Leaving those other larvae to grow and fester did leave a sour taste in her mouth. Lucky she had a new target to vent some of her frustration on.

Mechanics

Starry Form: ? minutes remaining

Not certain how long it took for us to get here, so starry form may still be active.

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
DC 15 WIS Saving Throw
1d20+10 6
Initiative
1d20+3 6

Posted (edited)

image.jpeg.26723544fb7498ef7d49167caf9bce95.jpeg"Fight for me!" Wheeze - Mourne says with a sickening grin on its hideous face. Vrod turns toward the group aggressively.

OOC: OK, No one beat Mourne's initiative. But if you beat Vrod's initiative, you may act.

Austin must save again or come under Mourne's control. Vrod with his crit fail is already under Mourne's control.

Everyone who saved (the rest of you) must save again, but having saved the first time, you have advantage this time. Save again, and Mourne will not be able to control you (with this ability, at least).

Baldric failed the save, so he'll stand there like Austin did 'last round'

I'm going to roll here for the second save for Austin to see if he just continues to stand there (if he saves) or if he'll attack you like Vrod will since this is a save that directly affects you guys.

WHOOPS!

Austin shrieks behind you, takes a step back as he interlocks his thumbs and splays his fingers toward you. Flames burst from his hands engulfing the corridor but stopping just short of Mourne.

Tiberion, seeing Baldric's eyes glass over, reaches out and touches the Paladin.

OOC: Austin upcasts Burning Hands on the group (including Vrod). You'll need a DC 17 DEX Save. If you save, you talk 10 Fire damage or 21 if you fail.

Troben may act.

Tiberion cast Resistance Cantrip on Baldric who will not act this round but I pre-rolled his save against being controlled next round and he succeeded.

After Troben acts, Vrod will go.

After Vrod, everyone else goes until next round when Mourne and Austin start it off.

Initiative order

Mourne

Austin

Troben

Tiberion

Vrod

Baldric (not this round)

Remy

Eithne

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)
Name
Austin's Second Save