The Plague Lands ((RP Thread))

Papa Bear

1d7a376f3d924636f450f6f98127f3ee.jpgTroben the Ragler

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 105/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 4/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben grins as Naz yells at him, just as he wanted her too. He's about to respond, when his stomach gurgles ominously. Pausing to see if he's going to throw up again, he nods satisfied he's not going to. Finally, he shrugs and says, "Helpless foes don't count, alright. Two then. I can get behind that. Besides, 'the count' is secondary to stopping a bunch of innocent people from dying. The last demon lord we fought was big and nasty and someone had to keep it busy while all the minions needed to be whacked. I'm just saying the count could get wonky, is all. I'm still gonna do it, but just letting you know. Besides, I'm winning...so what do I care."

The fighter grins and keeps going. He doesn't expect Naz to stop being mad at him, but maybe drop from a 9 to a 3.

Tabletop

"Hahaha!" Laughs Lothar. "He does have a point! I had to finish off your leftovers, Naz. That's why I'm down one on my count too."

Nazara glares at him.

"Troben is also right. Our count should be in how many lives we save, not how many we take." Baldric says.

"Bah, demon lives nae count."  Tiberion says, waving a hand dismissively.

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 21 | HP: 91/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft
Stats | Saves | Skills | Spell Slots | Hit Dice: 7/7 | Wild Shape: 2/2
Guiding Bolt: 3/3 | Weal/Woe: 3/3

"I couldn't say," Eithne's face could hide her disgust at the soiled rag (and the events that necessitated it). In honest truth, the tender sincerely hopes that Remy would let her burn it.

"Without meeting her previously, I wouldn't know if she even was. I had the luck of meeting you beforehand and caught the traces as time went on. It wouldn't be able to do the same with her. So, I'll just keep my eye out for... progression. Besides, I should be the last person to make an assumption. A casual observer might think I was corrupted as well."

She bent down to solidify the essence that had formed. Its corruption was oddly relevant to her next question.

"So how are you doing, now that you're back out in the field Remy?"

Mechanics

Maintaining pass without trace.

Name
Resolve Check
1d20+12 7

The group starts to move onward in the direction Turlon-Raal points out. "Don't take this the wrong way," Remy replies to Eithne, "But its good to kill again. I was getting cabin fever while you lot were all out risking all in some demon realm."

Suddenly, Eithne (and her ridiculously high passive perception) hears a sound she'd heard before, back when they had first arrived and were separated from each other. She had arrived with Katarina, another hero from Astoria, and was separated from the 'boys'. Katarina had since stepped through a portal that had popped up in front of her and had not been seen since. The druid quickly looks around and sees the 'toad' sitting on a mushroom in a small patch of healthy looking ground, perhaps the only healthy ground in this entire realm.

image.jpeg.5c72a8e8967302cb6e9d996f48029e77.jpeg

Troben may make a DC 20 Perception check to see if he notices it.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png

"I'm the same way. Patience is a virtue, but it's also torture when you feel you can do someth-"

Eithne paused as her hairs stood. She smelled grass. Fresh grass. The toad, somehow, was here. He'd found them, or maybe her, somehow. Her grip tightened on the Measure and she turned to face him.

"I'll be honest. I'm surprised you're here. So why are you here?"

Mechanics

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 4/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben is about to argue back with Baldric, but doesn't waste his breath. It's obviously impossible to count how many lives you save and how do you know if someone actually needed saving in the first place? Like, he killed a few here today, does that mean he saved the others of the group? No, of course not. They can fend for themselves! The paladin's heart is in the right place though, but for the wrong reason. As long as people don't start acting dumb just to get kills, he will be happy.

He casually listens to Eithne's conversation with Remy, more because he doesn't know her very well and she had a down moment not too long ago. She's wielding an immensely powerful weapon and it's always good to know your allies are stable at your back!

It was the dumbest of luck that he was eavesdropping when he turned his head slightly to hear better, Troben noticed the fresh patch of non-putrid ground in this cesspool. He's about to go all slice and dice on it when Eithne not only doesn't act surprised, but actually talks to the thing! He looks at her in shock and asks the hexblood, "You going to introduce us? You can't have...friends just appearing from the ether and not take a moment. Hi, I'm Troben. Troben the Ragler...big damn hero."

Tabletop

He will make the require perception check: Result 23! So he notices the bugger!

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)
Name
Perception check (DC 20)
1d20+6 17

The 'toad' looks up at Eithne and says, in its strange cadence (it sounds a lot like Wato from SW: The Phantom Menace), "Ah, but I like watching you, yes, yes I do. And you've got some interesting friends. Yes, yes." It waves a hand toward Troben, Baldric, Tiberion, and Remy. "Those ones, yes." then waves again at Lothar, Turlon-Raal, Nazara, Fain, and Kender. "But not them, no, no, not so much."

"You know a Demon Lord?" Fain asks, a note of awe in her voice.

"That's a Demon Lord?" Nazara grouses.

"I sense incredible power from it. More even than when we took down the Void Lord and the Hate Lord." Turlon-Raal says, drawing back his outstretched arm and recoiling from the 'toad' a little.

"What is this place? And not just this foul place where we stand, but the whole of it?" Baldric practically demands, but you can tell he's holding back, trying to sound calm and collected.

"We've killed Demon Lords before, both us and them." Kender says, "With the whole of us, we should kill this one too. We all know how rewarding it is to ki--" the 'toad' waves its hand at Kender, who starts screaming in pain and drops to his knees. A moment later, he explodes, blood, guts, scraps of flesh, and shards of bone spray all around you, splattering all over your person.

"Ha! You all look so much better now, yes you do." It says, chuckling to itself with a smug, satisfied grin on its face.

With more respect in his voice, perhaps even a tinge of fear, Baldric asks again, "What is this place?"

"A game, yes, a game. You provide the multiverse with entertainment as you struggle, oh yes, struggle. The Demon Lords seek to grow their power and are rewarded, yes they are, as they reach into the realms unknown. As are the champions who return them to their pits, yes." the Demon Toad says. "I am the Greater Demon Lord Krrvvrrss and you'll have to feed me for an answer, yes answers."

"What does that mean?" Lothar asks.

"These others, yes, they bore me." Krrvvrrss says and waves its hand again. This time, there is no shrieks of pain, but Fain, Turlon-Raal, Lothar, and Nazara all disappear. "It would be too easy, yes easy. You don't need them, no you don't." the toad Demon says. "Better rewards for you, yes, yes."

Krrvvrrss roughly sounds like "Ker verse" as one word, like Perverse, but obviously with a K instead of a P

The feeling arrived moments too late as Eithne felt a pang of the same cruelty the Toad, now revealed to be Krrvvrrss, had emitted when he tortured those bears. Kender was the blood and sinew that now covered them all. Her magic could not save him. She also knew that she couldn't avenge him. Not against power like that. All she could do was move forward with a promise in her heart. She'd crush this Toad like an over-ripe fruit someday in the future.

"That wasn't necessary. Not at all. Kender didn't have to die like that." Her voice was ice. Tine was silent on the matter and she was reasonably certain he shared her view, move forward on the current problem and do what she could.

"If you're going to to insist on darkening our journey, then I'll take information," she tossed her magic dagger to Krrvvrrss, "The demon lord of this realm uses a device to gather essence. What does it look like and where can we find it?"

Mechanics

Edited by herastor (see edit history)

Troben is about to make a sarcastic comment but doesn't have a chance when Kender is...exploded. He opens his mouth to say something, but then is quiet. The reality of the situation slaps him in the face and a flood to thoughts come to his head. He then says, "Why do I get the feeling that you are not just any demon lord? I mean, we are here to stop demon lords from leaving their realm. It's so dangerous to the safe havens to have demon lords with the ability to kill my fans. And yet...here you are and popped into this realm. Not only coming to the realm, but changing it to one that suits you."

He pauses and says, "Are you one of those that organized this? And I agree with Eithne. What must we do to feed you to get this information?"

Troben suspects more, but keeps the information to himself for now.

Tabletop

Troben believes that some (if not all) of the others were evil and would have betrayed us in time. Maybe at the end of this to take the treasure for themselves. Herastor had the best question though to cut to the chase.

I also approve of the way you "pruned" the NPCs! 😀Very fun!!

Krrvvrrss chuckles. "You see, yes, yes, this is why I like you. You know good questions to ask." The knife floats before the tiny demon lord and it opens its mouth like a snake to swallow it. "Mmm yes, very good, very good." It waves its tiny hand and creates what could only be an illusion between the group and it.

image.jpeg.7247fefa0eeed7ae27a0d16fd814a3a9.jpeg

"This is the Arcane Sponge and it draws power to it even from other realms, yes it does. It is nearly full so you have very little time left to stop it. I have a bet going with the Demon Lord Agaral, Lord of Violence, and he thinks you cannot do it. Neither of us have a realm here in play, no we don't. We are watching only. Agaral wanted a challenge, so, yes, your other friends had to go. But in return, I get to grant you some help, yes, yes I do. Here, take, take." It says as it waves its hand again. Several glowing orbs appear before you, floating above the ground, three to each of you. "And I get to transport you as close as can be allowed to the Plague Lord's citadel, yes, yes, because the one who knew the way is back in his city trying to figure out how to get back here to the plague lands, yes he is. As well, you may call upon me one more time to ask of me a question once I've gone. Look for what you call mushrooms and speak into them. I am the Lord of Spores and my realm, yes my realm, is overrun with them and far more powerful ones than you can yet know.

"Some Demon Lords and most demons are nihilists and would see all destroyed, yes, all destroyed. But not all of us are this flawed. Some of us have bigger plan, yes we do. This is why my realm is as it is. I have captured my realm in the multiverse and am its Lord and Master for there are none there that can defy me any longer, no they can't. These games keep me entertained, yes they do. And you, Eithne Black, yes black, such an ironic name, are my champion. I have watched you since you arrived in the Disease Lord's realm, yes I have. There and to the demise of the Frost Lord, though you did not see me there. I only watched from afar when you were in the Death Lord's realm, fore I hate that place, yes, hate it I do. I would see it destroyed too. Now ask what you must before I send you where you must go and depart to watch.

"Know this, many Lords are watching you closely now for we do not wish the games to be destroyed, destroyed they would be if the Plague Lord wins the day."

OOC: the three orbs are one of each of the following;

Mighty Healing Orb that will restore 5d12+10 hit points

Restoration Orb that will restore one of the following when used; A) 1 Daily use power/ability, B) 3d8+6 Hit points or C) a number of spell slots equal to half your level (You may decide how you wish to divide them up).

Empowering Orb that will boost your attack rolls by +1d4, damage rolls by +2d6, +3d8 Temporary Hit Points, and movement speed by +10 feet for 1 minute when used.

The 'Toad' grants one of each of these orbs to each of you remaining (including the NPCs)

Troben raises an eyebrow when the toad demon who can wrack someone with agony calls Eithne his champion. A broad grin cracks his face and he pats her way too hard on the back and says, *Way to go, Eithne! I always knew you were champion material! So I have to salute you now or something?"

The echo knight grins and then turns to the demonic toad and asks, "How do we destroy the Arcane Sponge? And, I assume the Plague Lord is going to be upset be broke his toy. How do we beat the Plague Lord?"

It is very interesting that THIS demon doesn't want the game to end. It must have some reason for that. It will eventually be important to know why.

Tabletop

There was an intense and deep-seated feeling of revulsion that swept through her as Krrvvrrss proclaimed her as his champion. There was nothing should could do about it, other than glare daggers at Troben when he congratulated her on in. She did not want to encourage the association any more than the demon already had. She took a moment, gathering her orbs and attempted to exhale her frustration; she could stew on some of the wider implications later.

"As he said, those would be the only other questions I have at this time."

Mechanics

image.jpeg.0a500b6a519cf76140ebe321680ebfb8.jpeg"The thing can be destroyed like any other thing, yes destroyed. Brute force, yes, brute force. But careful you, it will explode, yes, explode it will." The demon toad says. "Oh you can find the key and shut it down safely, then release the arcanum out of it." Then, anticipating the next question, "The key is on the Plague Lord, yes, on his person."

"As to killing the Plague Lord, you must kill him the way you would kill any other demon lord, yes, kill kill. Except me. I'm much too powerful."

Troben is a little taken aback by Eithne's response, but decides now isn't the time to discuss it. Instead he listen to the demonic toad and scowls says, "Hmm, that's not as useful as I had hoped. First off, we were planning to use the destruction of the Arcane Sponge as a way to lure the Plague Lord to us. It doesn't sound like that's a good idea. Destroying the sponge sounds like a good way to get ourselves killed. So better to use the key...which means killing the Plague Lord."

He continues by asks, "Will we find the Plague Lord by the Sponge? Is there a way to draw him out without an army of his minions ahead of us? And I had hoped to learn of a weakness of the Plague Lord. If we use cure disease on him, will he be vulnerable for a time? Or maybe he doesn't like radiant energy?"

He pauses and says, "Is there anything we can do to even harness a portion of that stolen energy? I know it will be released when the machine is shut down. But is there a way we can use it to upgrade our equipment? While the Plague Lord wants to use it to kill people, we want to use it to extend the game. And I wouldn't be sad if you could tell us how to craft a radiant rune for my sword. It seems radiant energy is more effective against demons, particularly ones of shadow."

Yes, he's push it a bit. But the energy is going to just be sitting there. It seems like a waste to just let it all go. Maybe they can dip their equipment in it and get a nice upgrade. That might make this awful adventure worth it. The echo knight absentmindedly brushes off a piece of exploded Kender that's still on his boot.

Tabletop

I was just looking back at those orbs. I had forgotten about that amazing horn that we had.

image.jpeg.0a500b6a519cf76140ebe321680ebfb8.jpeg"Ha!" Krrvvrrss says. "Is good idea, yes, yes, good idea... but no. Only a demon lord, elder god, or greater celestial deity has enough power, yes power, to shape that much arcane energy. Even I do not know what will happen if the energy is not released safely, no I do not. Whether it helps or not, you can probably inflict harm on the Plague Lord with Cure Disease and healing spells. Maybe not so much with the Radiant energy, maybe no.

"The Plague Lord will be in his citadel, like the Frost Lord's. We cannot see in a Lord's base of power except through the eyes of the players after you enter, no we cannot. So I cannot advise you where the Plague Lord might be within his citadel, nor what he is doing there. I cannot feel mushrooms there either, no I cannot. But I believe if you see them, I'll be able to use them to communicate with you, yes talk with you. Remember, you have yet another question you may ask once inside, yes you do. I believe there will be mushrooms as we thrive where things rot."

And with that, Krrvvrrss waves his tiny little hand and the group suddenly appears before a massive, mountain sized mound of rotting flesh. The stench is overwhelming. So much so, that you cannot even hear what Krrvvrrss next says over the churning in your stomach (even if you make the save).

Remy pukes again, and so does Austin, Vrod and Tiberion. Only Baldric keeps his breakfast. Remy looks weak now, a bit green in her skin. "I desperately hate this place." She says, wiping her chin and rinsing her mouth with a swig of water from her canteen.

OOC: This CON Save DC is worse than the other (a DC 17 this time). Also, if you fail it by 10 (DC 7 or worse), you become weakened, which is the same penalty as Sickened, but it lasts for the duration of your time in the Plague Lands until you succeed on 3 consecutive CON saves (DC 15), which you can make every 10 minutes. Failing a called CON Save (that is based on plague, such as from a plague monster) counts as a fail and you must start over again on the three consecutive saves. However, unfairly, succeeding does not count for overcoming the weakened condition. Success in these situations only count for overcoming the particular creature's plague effects.