The Plague Lands ((RP Thread))

Papa Bear

1d7a376f3d924636f450f6f98127f3ee.jpgTroben the Ragler

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 81/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 0/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 3/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben's eyes go wide when he sees Eithne being overshadowed by the massive dretch. But when she shocks the creature, her intentions become clear to him. He laughs and says, "Truly epic! Now, I'd be remiss not to take advantage of such a lovely, lovely gift. Well, Mourne...there's no good way to say this, but...this is gonna hurt."

The knight's echo glides across the slippery ground next to Mourne, looking to put an end to the sinister and treacherous demon. The enchanted sword dances past the wheezing creature's defenses hacking deep into its torso. He follows up with a pair of spirited strikes that cut both Mourne's arms causing it to bleed horribly.

Tabletop

Troben will move his echo as a free action and use it to attack Mourne (without disadvantage thanks to Eithne).

• Attack #1 - Soft critical on Mourne for 29 slashing and 9 fire damage (wow!)
  • Attack #2 - Hits Mourne for 17 slashing and 3 fire damage.

That's 58 damage to him! If that doesn't kill him, he will use his Unleash Incarnation to get a bonus action attack against Mourne. If it DOES kill Mourne, then this bonus action attack is against the Dredge (although it's due to GWM).

• Bonus attack - Hit AC 19 (which will hit everything) for 12 slashing and 6 fire damage.

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)
Name
Flaming greatsword attack #1 vs. Mourne
1d20+13 13
Soft critical slashing / fire damage
reroll(6d6,2,below,1)+8 6,3,6,6,3,2,6
Flaming greatsword attack #2 vs. Mourne
1d20+13 5
Slashing / fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 5,1,1,4,3
Flaming greatsword bonus attack vs. Mourne
1d20+13 6
Slashing / fire damage
reroll(3d6,2,below,1)+8 3,2,2,1,6

2 hours ago, Papa Bear said:

I am not at home (so can't log into Roll20 where I track HPs) but I think Mourned had 37 HP left)

Troben did 76 damage; I was hoping that would be enough. Maybe someone else can finish him off.

LOL, I meant he had 37 left BEFORE Troben's attack... Trobs killed Mourn with that first attack. I'll apply the second to the Dredge and you can save the use of the unleash incarnation, unless you want to hit the Dredge again. If so, let me know an I'll apply the third attack damage to the dredge too otherwise, I'm assuming you are saving the resource.

Posted (edited)

Eithne's shocking grasp gives Troben the opening he needs to cut deeply into an unsuspecting Mourne who garbles as he falls to the ground. "Master..." gasp, wheeze, "I only hope that..." More of the same, "I bought you enough..." More gasping, more wheezing, "time. Remember..." choke, cough, gasp "me..."  then the horrible demon dies. With the massive Dredge unprepared, Troben's echo turns and drives his mighty sword into it as well. The Dredge howls with rage as Troben ends the existence of the Demon Mourne and turns and lashes out at Troben's Echo, 'killing' it. It then lumbers after Troben

"Yaauuugghh keeeel maaarrrnn." it yammers as it swings a massive, spiky arm at the knight. In its fury, it smashes Troben solidly in the chest. Though Eithne floats above it, and within its reach, it seems to ignore her, bent on killing the Knight.

As the behemoth turns on Troben, Baldric chases it down from behind, cutting into its thick, leathery hide three times. Both Tiberion and Remy step up and attack it as well, having a similarly damaging effect as the paladin.

Vrod's rage unleashes upon the Wretch, killing it where it stands before it can attack him again. Then the big orc leaps over the corpses and charges at the Dredge.

"Good job, you two!" Austin calls out to Troben and Eithne. The sorcerer, knowing the Dredge might be dangerous, but also knowing that its only a matter of time before his even more dangerous companions take it down, launches a Fire Bolt at it.

Troben suffers 11 damage (max from it) and must make a STR Save against Knockback  DC: 13.  On fail by 1-3, KB 1 space +1d4 damage.  FB 4-7 KB 2 spaces, 2d4 damage, and FB 8+ KB 3 spaces, 3d4 damage.

Troben and Eithne have Advantage against the Dredge because of the position of Baldric and Tiberion.

Terrain: The room is filled with thick viscera, slippery especially considering the softness of the ground. Whenever you move, you must make a DC 10 +1 per five foot space moved DEX Save or slip and fall prone. How much you fail determines in which space you fall.

Sadly, each of your enemies has feet with claws that grip into the terrain, nullifying this effect for them.

Eithne is currently flying and unaffected.

Dredge

AC: 15

Dex Save: -1, Initiative: +2

Special Abilities

A Stone Skin-like effect (resistance vs. all physical damage)

Protect: The Dredge can use its Reaction to protect an adjacent ally by imposing disadvantage on an attack made against that ally as the Protection Fighting Style (its massive chitinous arm is its 'shield'). It may do this twice as if it had two reactions but only once per attacker. So, if Troben attacks Mourne, the first attack is at Disadvantage but the rest are normal. If Baldric then Attacks Mourne, his first attack is also at Disadvantage, but the rest are normal. Any further attacks are 'normal'. This ability may only be used to impose Disadvantage against Melee Attacks. Further, if the attack rolls at disadvantage misses Mourne but would hit the Dredge's AC (even if its only one of the two rolls as if the better roll were not at disadvantage against the dredge), then the Dredge suffers the damage.

ATTACK

Claw/Slam: 2x attacks, +9, 1d6 +5 Slashing + STR Save against Knockback  DC: 13.  On fail by 1-3, KB 1 space +1d4 damage.  FB 4-7 KB 2 spaces, 2d4 damage, and FB 8+ KB 3 spaces, 3d4 damage.

Wretch

AC: 16

Dex Save: +2, Initiative: +3

Slam Attack x2: +8, 2d6+4 bludgeoning damage, Reach 10 feet and has essentially the Polearm Master feat

Plague Fiend

Dex Save: +3, Initiative: +5

Special Abilities

Plague Rot: On any damage taken, roll 1d6. On a 1 or 2, the damage is halved due to chunks of rotten 'meat' falling off of the Plague Fiend where it was hurt.

Attacks

Attack: 2x claws; +13, 4d6+2 slashing damage

Mourne

Dex Save: +0, Initiative: +3

AC: 16

Special Abilities

Allies: Has the ability to make multiple enemies into allies in a 10 foot radius. Enemies get a DC 15 WIS save or believe Mourne to be their Ally, to the point of attacking their own true allies. If Mourne uses this ability on a character a second time, they gain advantage on the save. After that, the ability can no longer affect the target for a week.

Pre-sense: If Mourne makes an Ally of someone, he can sense through their sense while he concentrates on that ally (or former ally if the Allies ability has been broken) for up to 1 hour.

Jump: Mourne has the ability to 'jump' to one of his Mirror Images (if the spell is active), destroying that Image. Mourne can do this as a Reaction.

Multiple Concentration: Mourne has the ability to concentrate on at least 2 (possibly more, we don't know yet) spells/abilities at once.

Attacks

Spell Casting (spells so far; Sanctuary, Mirror Image) Save DC: 18

Summary

Mourne provides a 5d4, +4 ME roll, but with the Arcane Sponge, its reduced to 5d8, +1. Rolls that earn ME (not the free one) can gain from the Expanded Chart, but only 1 maximum.

BTW, all the other creatures in the room have the same ME rolls as the Plague Fiend, which for you guys right now is a 6d10 roll.

Vrod shouldn't have been able to kill the Wretch this round but scored a natty dub on his second roll and rolled good damage for the critical hit ... it was really a very impressive strike that no one else saw because of that hulking Dredge... but Vrod knows he did it and that's enough for him.

You guys are up again.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)
Name
Dredge Attacks Echo
1d20+9 9
Dredge Attacks Troben
1d20+9 14
Dredge Damage to Troben
1d6+5 6

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 70/105 | Passive Perception: 16 | Init: +4 (adv)

Second Wind: 0/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unleash Incarnation: 3/4 | Heroic Strike: 1/1 | Skills | Saves | Features

Troben sighs as the echo is smashed yet again. Still, it did its job even if it was short-lived. One last enemy to take care of...

With his companions flanking the creature on the other side, it's child's play to strike the behemoth. With a pair of well struck blows, Troben cripples the creature with slashing strikes and searing the open wounds with the flames of his rune. Nodding satisfied, he is sure this dredge is doomed.

Tabletop

Go ahead an apply that third hit to the Dredge. Because he took out Mourne, his Greater Weapon Mastery kicks in and gives him an extra attack as a bonus action. So add another 12 slashing (halved to 6) and another 6 fire damage.

Troben will attack the Dredge with advantage!

• Attack #1 - soft critical hit for 25 slashing (halved to 13) and 7 fire damage.
  • Attack #2 - soft critical hit for 27 slashing (halved to 14) and 8 fire damage.

He summons his echo again...mainly because he doesn't have anything to do with his bonus action.

Oh, and I forgot to have him make that strength save: Saved!

Name
Flaming greatsword attack #1 vs. Dredge
1d20+11 17
Flaming greatsword attack #1 (advantage)
1d20+11 2
reroll(6d6,2,below,1)+8 4,4,3,6,4,3
Flaming greatsword attack #2 vs. Dredge
keep(2d20,highest,1)+11 10,14
reroll(6d6,2,below,1)+8 4,4,2,1,4,4,5,6
Strength saving throw (DC 13)
1d20+12 6

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)EithnenewCopy-Token(1).png.ab887b4976aa471881f09d0b9087f490.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 21 | HP: 70/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft
Stats | Saves | Skills | Spell Slots | Hit Dice: 7/7 | Wild Shape: 1/2
Guiding Bolt: 0/3 | Weal/Woe: 3/3

Any pithy comments on the passing of the hated demon would have to wait as Eithne found herself dragged along during its ensuing rampage. An unfortunate side effect of being buried up to her wrist in its blubber. She shocked it again, hit it with more searing light, and hoped her wrist wouldn't snap.

Mechanics

Starry Form: 2.1 minutes remaining

Owl Cloak Wings: 1 rounds

Protection from Evil and Good on Vrod: 4.2 minutes

Eithne will attack the dredge with another shocking grasp. After, she'll use her arrow attack. Does the advantage disadvantage even out in this case if she didn't move.

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
Shocking Grasp
1d20+9 3
Advantage
1d20+9 13
Lightning Damage
2d8 7,4
Arrow Attack
1d20+9 13
Disadvantage (just in case)
1d20+9 20
Radiant Damage
1d8+6 7

The group of heroes gang up on the Dredge and with their combined might, take the horrid thing down just seconds after Mourne falls.

A moment after the Dredge drops into a glop of fat and chitin, a deep, echoing voice fills the chamber. "You did well, Mourne. You and your servants. You shall be remembered. And the lifeforce of those foul 'heroes' will be drained into the Arcane Sponge and help me succeed in my ultimate plan. MUWAHAHAHA!"

OK, the Dredge provides another 6d10 roll for Mystic Energy.

Troben does a fist-pump as the big sack of crap finally falls. He looks around and doesn't find his echo and summons a new one just to so he can give it a high five. It's right around here that the demon lord chimes in and says his thing. The warrior scowls and shouts, "Hey, jerkwad...or Lord of Puke, whatever you like to be called. Be ready, because we are coming for you! Glad to know we are sponge-worthy. Save a seat at the table for us, buddy!"

He shakes his head and says in a normal tone, "So I need to heal up a bit here. I can use potions if spells are low, though or you want to save 'em. I still have a few tricks that I have been saving for our friend once we get to the arcane sponge. Once I get some healing, I am ready to keep going south. We also need to keep an eye out for our demon frog friend."

Tabletop

Sponge-worthy = Seinfeld reference....when Elaine decides if she wants to use a particular contraceptive on her boyfriends.

Summon another echo. Troben has 35 pts of damage, but still with 70 hp left. It might be a good idea to heal about 10-20. He has several potions still that he can use. Plus we also have that new mighty healing essence too. I can't see health bars on the map, so I'm not sure how banged up we are.

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)00131-2291277882.png.93248195b16d86d48193d00d57012605.png

AC: 21 | HP: 70/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft

Eithne rose from the muck rotating her sore wrist as her void retreated. She might not have shared the warrior's choice of words, but she held to his sentiment. They were going to come for this boastful lord. It a few moments search, her arms were full of potions and healing orbs for everyone.

"Take what you need. Just save the most potent orbs for just before the fight with our host."

Mechanics

It was Tiberion's natural instinct to bless others with the blessings of his god but Baldric placed a hand on his shoulder, "I think it best we use potions, herbs and orbs to prepare for the fight ahead. I fear we shall be in want of our divine and arcane power in the fight to come."

"I've been conserving my power. I shan't hold back when we get to the Plague Lord." Austin says.

"I've got a couple fun surprises in store for the Puke Lord." She says with a wink and a smile toward Troben. "I am loathe to admit it, but you are the better warrior."

Vrod moves to the others, his breathing becomes more contained and the rage flows out of his face as he gains his calm. "My ax will cleave his face!" the big orc says with a grin.

OK, let's decide on the healing potions and what not that you'll be using and make your rolls

Remy is down 26 HP (about 3/4 left)

Vrod is down 48 HP (about 2/3 left)

Baldric is down 41 HP (about 2/3 left)

Tiberion is down 21 HP (about 4/5 left)

Austin hasn't yet taken damage.

Troben grins to Remy and says, "I know. It's always hard to admit it the first time. Do not despair, though. You have shown yourself more than capable and will have a position of distinction when they retell the tale of Troben the Ragler."

He starts handing out potions and orbs to folks.

Tabletop

Here's my recommendation for healing stuff to the group:

• Vrod -2 potions of greater healing (8d2+24)
  • Baldrick - 2 potions of greater healing (8d2+24)
  • Remy - potion of greater healing (4d2+12)
  • Tiberon - potion of healing (2d2+6)
  • Troben - potion of greater healing, potion of healing (6d2+18)

I though about that mighty healing orb, but that heals 5d6+40 and is overkill. I figure Herastor can figure out Eithnr's healing. If we are providing the potions, then we will need 3 greater healing and 1 healing potion from each of us. We MAY want to give Vrod a healing potion too, but let's see how it goes.

Results:

• Vrod - 35 healed (the divide by 2 didn't work); 13 wounds
  • Baldrick - 33 healed; 8 wounds
  • Remy - 19 healed; 7 wounds
  • Tiberon - 8 healed; 13 wounds
  • Troben - 25 healed; 10 wounds

That should be good enough ?

Name
Vrod's healing
8d4/2+24 2,4,1,3,1,3,2,1
Baldrick healing
8d4 1,3,2,1,2,1,1,2
Remy healing
4d4 4,1,3,3
Tiberon heaking
2d4 2,2
Troben healing
6d4 1,1,2,1,4,1

Eithne Black Lv. 8 Hexblood Druid (Circle of Stars)00131-2291277882.png.93248195b16d86d48193d00d57012605.png

AC: 21 | HP: 87/91 | Initiative: +3 | Passive Perception: 21 | Movement: 30 ft

Eithne breathed a sign of relief as the potion coursed through her. Honestly, the restoration orb felt wonderful as well. The air quality still served to ruin the moment. With a slightly lighter pack, a little bit of strategy needed to be decided.

"The Plague Lord is certainly going to be prepared for us with guards and the like, just like the Frost Lord. I can possibly remove one of his guards from the fight and give our warriors a direct path to him. But how should be go about removing the other guards in a timely manner? We don't want to get stuck in a pincer movement."

Mechanics

Eithne takes a greater healing potion and uses her restoration orb to get back a 3rd Lv and a 1st Lv spell slot. Baldrick gets 2 greater healing potions. Tiberon gets a greater healing potion. Remy gets a healing potion. Vrod gets a healing potion.

Edited by herastor (see edit history)
Name
Eithne (Greater Healing Potion)
4d4/2+12 4,1,3,3
Baldrick (2 Greater Healing Potions)
SyntaxError: Unexpected token nan
8d4/2nan
Baldrick (2 Greater Healing Potions, please)
8d4/2+24 4,4,1,4,3,1,1,4
Tiberon (Greater Healing Potion)
4d4/2+12 1,1,3,4
Remy (healing Potion)
2d4/2+6 3,1
Vrod (Healing Potion)
2d4/2+6 3,4