Yet another interest check. Marvel Super Heroes.

cailano

Hello, everyone. I hope you are all having a great holiday season so far.

I'm still trying to choose from several ideas for my next campaign, which will start soon, once one of my current campaigns wraps up.

This one is a retro superhero game using the classic Marvel Superhero rules. Check out the summary, and let me know what you think!

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/clubs/1160-marvel-action-hourplanning/

As a side note, whenever I go back and read the MSH rules, I'm struck by how ahead of their time they were. For the era, it's a well-designed, rules-lite system.

1980s D&D: No skill system, no universal mechanic, armor does not reduce damage, HP is all or nothing, so damage has no effect until death

1980s MSH: Skill system, a universal mechanic for any task, armor reduces damage, players can modify dice rolls, simple rules for stuns, slams, and other non-lethal damage effects

Which Marvel System are you considering?

The new 616 system is interesting. TiffanyKorta had a Spiderman one going. Very simple rules system. Might be too simple for some.

I liked the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Cortex Hax for Supers. It takes a bit to get used to and I really would like to work with it more.

FASERIP, as long as it isn't random rolls for character generation, I am in. Or, it sounds like you're wanting players to take over existing Marvel Heroes.

@PapaBear is a big fan of Marvel, and FASERIP. He will probably check in soon.

@Roughtrade, I'm thinking FASERIP for this one. You're correct in that I'm going to have players select from established heroes, so no character generation will be necessary.

The campaign will be episodic so players won't necessarily have to use the same characters across different adventures. This one is suited to Spidey and other mid-power heroes but I could see myself running a mutant-centric game in the future, or a cosmic one set out in space somewhere.

The other versions of the Marvel game seem fun, too and if I do a modern campaign I'll probably take a look at the latest version.

40 minutes ago, Lando The Archmagi said:

Well make mine Marvel!

I've got over 30 yrs of love and experience with FASERIP. I own most of the MSH content and Spider-Man is my childhood hero. I collected many Marvel comics from the late 1980s - mid 2000s

Awesome! Looks like this could be right up your alley.

12 minutes ago, Excior said:

I have not played Marvel Super Heroes since the 80's Spider-Man is one of my favorites as well however I have others lol. Would Iron Man be too powerful?

I think Ironman could work. I'm not really worried about character balance it's more about tone. But there will be plenty of scenes in this game where having a variety of powers will be crucial.

1 hour ago, cailano said:

Was she active yet in 1987?

Marvel with an accurate timeline?

Peter Parker was in High School for more than a decade.

By what I recall of Jessica's Timeline, she went to school with Peter Parker and was even in some classes with him. When her powers came on, she became a hero because she wanted to emulate Spider-Man. Then the Purple Man happened and she went kind of down hill.

If Spider-Man is active, Jessica Jones is active. So I guess if she is "Jewel" and happy or "Alias Jessica Jones" and a PTSD sufferer self medicating with alcohol will depend on if Spider-Man is in college or not.

33 minutes ago, Roughtrade said:

Marvel with an accurate timeline?

Peter Parker was in High School for more than a decade.

By what I recall of Jessica's Timeline, she went to school with Peter Parker and was even in some classes with him. When her powers came on, she became a hero because she wanted to emulate Spider-Man. Then the Purple Man happened and she went kind of down hill.

If Spider-Man is active, Jessica Jones is active. So I guess if she is "Jewel" and happy or "Alias Jessica Jones" and a PTSD sufferer self medicating with alcohol will depend on if Spider-Man is in college or not.

Sounds workable. Time is, indeed, a nebulous thing in the Marvel Universe.