Yet another interest check. Marvel Super Heroes.

cailano

I've been contemplating this with some interest, but also a few doubts.

I have no direct experience of the game system, though I have found online pdfs of the rules that might be enough to give me the information needed to avoid being a drag on those with greater experience.

Character-wise, I'm thinking Captain Britain could be an interesting one; certainly comparable to Captain America in terms of power level. But it has been a very long time since I read any of the comics and from what I've found over the past few days it appears there have been a right old jumble of different variants over the years. I'm unsure which of those versions would be admissible for your game's timeline. I prefer the Brian Braddock incarnations to the female ones, based on familiarity alone.

Also, online resources seem to be giving some rather different ability scores, depending on source. That might also be connected with the different versions, but the main one that comes up has suspiciously high Strength (100) and Endurance (75). I have found one with more sensible stats though, Strength (40) and Endurance (50), so that looks okay now; much closer to Captain America's stats with some variation (higher on Str and End, lower on Fig and Ag).

Grateful for a DM view on whether this is a flyer (pardon the pun) and on the version issue.

58 minutes ago, Lord Foul said:

Grateful for a DM view on whether this is a flyer (pardon the pun) and on the version issue.

The system is pretty easy and if you have a copy of the Advanced rules then you should be good. The stats for Captain Britain should be in the Advanced Judges Book. I know the MC 3 holed punched series expanded on many heroes and villains, but the Judges Book has most well known ones.

14 minutes ago, Lando The Archmagi said:

The system is pretty easy and if you have a copy of the Advanced rules then you should be good. The stats for Captain Britain should be in the Advanced Judges Book. I know the MC 3 holed punched series expanded on many heroes and villains, but the Judges Book has most well known ones.

Thank you. I'll see if I can find a copy of that book.

EDIT: Found it, but sadly no Captain Britain in there.

Edited by Lord Foul (see edit history)

58 minutes ago, Lord Foul said:

Thank you. I'll see if I can find a copy of that book.

EDIT: Found it, but sadly no Captain Britain in there.

So looks like the first appearance of Captain Britain for the MSH RPG is in Dragon #155 in the Marvel-Phile article. I would go with that version unless the GM decides otherwise.

https://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?articleid=13059

On 12/17/2023 at 1:32 PM, Lando The Archmagi said:

So looks like the first appearance of Captain Britain for the MSH RPG is in Dragon #155 in the Marvel-Phile article. I would go with that version unless the GM decides otherwise.

https://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?articleid=13059

Thanks again, but it looks like one needs to be a member to access the content in there.

In any case, I found this, so hopefully it matches your source.

EDIT: Image removed due to copyright infringement. Apologies for my mistake.

EDIT: I found a pdf of Dragon 155 and the version in there has the outrageous Str (100) and End (75), which just feels a bit much really.

I'm more than happy to use the version in the picture with its more reasonable stats.

Edited by Lord Foul (see edit history)

7 hours ago, cybersavant said:

TV Defenders you mean - the team in the original comics was much different

Really I didnt not know that

Edit

I looked it up they were defenders of the earth 1st teir superheros. Ya'll I was a. Xman and Spider Man giys back then I didn't even read Iron Man lol.

Edited by Excior (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, Lord Foul said:

Thanks again, but it looks like one needs to be a member to access the content in there.

In any case, I found this, so hopefully it matches your source.

EDIT: I found a pdf of Dragon 155 and the version in there has the outrageous Str (100) and End (75), which just feels a bit much really.

I'm more than happy to use the version in the picture with its more reasonable stats.

Yeah this is the earlier version. The Dragon #155 is the version when the X-men "die" after the events of the Dark Phoenix/Mister Sinister story arc. I had forgotten that so I apologize for confusing you.

You do need the advanced player guide for the Talents (skills). Most are pretty obvious (+1 CS when using the 'skill') but some have different mechanics, especially the various Martial Arts (A through E and eventually J or something like that).

Though, one of those Google searches OP keeps hinting will bring up a site with a massive Talents list with random generation, so that could be done without the Advanced Players... but then, everything could be done on that site too (it even has a point buy system, which I used for the game I'm running)

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

I do hope a general consensus on power level is agreed on. Iron Man is pretty cool, but the sheer number of powers he has can easily overshadow 'street' level types.

I'm also not fond of the write ups I've seen for Jessica. She recovers from bruises in hours and broken bones almost overnight. And the comic version of her is a lot stronger. TV version is about right for the write-ups I have seen. Anyways; either she has some Regeneration or a better Endurance than they are giving her. Or better defense with it SFX'd/Handwaved as quickly recovering. Also would like a better way to work out her mental defense. Not sure how to do "can't be mind controlled but only has some resistance to psionic mind blasting" but then, I don't think any system's game mechanics would do that well. 

Was having a fight all morning with my sister. Should not have been posting while cranky.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello folks! Just a reminder that even resources that are no longer in print are still protected by copyright law/intellectual property law. Please refrain from posting screenshots or links to unofficial wikis as these are, by and large, illegal.

Thanks and happy gaming,

Your Friendly Neighborhood Stygian.