Chapter 2: Hellknight Hill

Eagleheart

Arionne Amata - Itinerant Scholarimage.png.6158122ad895e3badf8c1e1661802be9.png

checked-shield.svg AC: 18 health-normal.svg HP: 20/20 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +9 | sprint.svg Reflex: +6 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +4 | awareness.svg Perception: +3 |

Resisting the toxic smog, Arionne ran to the same Frog the Goblin was cutting at. She was not particularly invested in saving the Goblins, but her proctor had taught her to exploit every opening. Her own deadly chain whirled about her body and head, fascinating to watch as she danced through the forms. There was no mistaking the savagery with which she slammed it down upon the creature's shoulder and back, cruel barbs slicing now rather than piercing.

OOC

image.png.f10fc36f9752b1a117fad650031a5334.png Conditions: Channel Elements, previously cast Armor in Earth action_single_black.png?v=dm-1

Action 1-2: Stride twice to the wounded Frog if I can do so without passing another action_single_black.png?v=dm-1action_single_black.png?v=dm-1
Action 3: Melee Elemental Blast via Weapon Infusion action_single_black.png?v=dm-1

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)
Name
roll
1d20+7 19
roll
1d8+4 5

Ketu the Ghost

spacer.pngGhost's eyes narrow as he calculates angles, then dashes quickly but quietly across the floor. Again, he squints, this time at a specific frog. He closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, and raises a single finger to touch the center of his forehead.

A number of small stones rattle and then rise from the ground around Ghost's feet. They hover for a moment and then shoot toward a frog at shocking speed.

Mechanics/OOC

Ketu the Ghost Character Sheet

Perception +3, low-light vision

Defense AC 15, Fortitude +4, Reflex +5, Will +5, hp 15/15

Conditions

Offense class DC 17

dagger +5, 1d4p (agile, finesse, thrown, versatile S)

crossbow +5, 1d8p (20 bolts)

Focus Points 1/2

Actions

1 stride to any point within 60 ft. of a frog, ideally positioning myself so that my telekinetic projectile can knock a frog off the ramparts, or, failing that, knock a frog away from its prey

2,3 spending a focus point and casting amped telekinetic projectile

Amp You fling objects with even more force, driving your opponents backwards in a hail of objects. On a success, you push the target 5 feet away from you, and on a critical success, you push the target 10 feet away from you in addition to dealing double damage.

Telekinetic Projectile

Damage on hit

Name
Telekinetic Projectile
1d20+7 16
Damage on hit
1d6+4 5

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngAs Arionne kills one frog, the stones hurled by Ketu slam into another and send it toppling down to the courtyard, where it perishes from the force of the fall.

Round 1 cont'd.

Goblin 1
:TwoActions:Stride x2
:OneAction:Strike vs Frog 3

Goblin 3
:ThreeActions: Strike x3

@Bearlord is next.

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)
Name
Goblin 1 Strike
21; 3
1d20+8;1d6 [13]; [13,3]
Goblin 3 Strike 1
14; 1
1d20+8;1d6 [6]; [6,1]
Goblin 3 Strike 2
9; 1
1d20+4;1d6 [5]; [5,1]
Goblin 3 Strike 3
12; 1
1d20;1d6 [12]; [12,1]

Rogue1a.jpeg.4698554afb6f993aefb0b1f5fe017d0b.jpegSyhlas Yaeder (Character sheet) Chaotic Good Human Rogue 1
HP: 17/17 | AC: 19 | Perc +5 | Fort +7 | Ref +9 | Will +8 | Speed: 25 ft.
Active Conditions:

After killing the alligator-drake creature Syhlas is a bit slow to climb the stairs up to the battlements. The frogs and goblins are spread out but his companions manage to take out two of the beasts from a distance.

Syhlas moves as quickly as he can to the last frog to help the goblins fight it off.

OOC

:OneAction:Stride

:OneAction:Stride

:OneAction:Strike with Rapier vs. Flat-footed (Flanking)

Name
Strike with Rapier (flat-footed)
23; 8
1d20+7; 2d6+2 [16]; [16,1,5]

spacer.png

The goblins cheer as Syhlas slays the last frog. With that taken care of, it's easy enough to stabilize the fallen goblin.

"Thank you, thank you!" says one.

"Warbal must have sent them," says the other. "Thank her, too!"

The first goblin nods, then asks "Have you seen Helba?"

"Not yet," answers Leeko, "but we're looking for her. Do you know where she went?"

"No, last I saw of her, we were all running like crazy. She was moving a little strangely, like she was hurt - but she wasn't limping or bleeding, or anything like that."

Leeko frowns thoughtfully. "It's honestly kinda unfortunate that she wasn't bleeding. At least a blood trail would be easy to follow... oh well." They turn to look up at you. "I guess it's up to us, then."

Corwyn - Elf Sylph Kineticist 1 Application Sheetspacer.png

AC: 17 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +9 | Reflex: +7 | Will: +7Perception: +3 | R1 Cold | Conditions:

Corwyn uses his soothing waters to heal any of the goblins and members of our party that might be hurt. Then he looks at the goblins. He knows they want to go after Helba, but there's no point just wandering around the woods. He's not confident that we'll be able to track her, but it's worth trying.

"Which way did you see her go? Let's see if we can find a trail or any other clues."

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action 1: Ocean's balm, repeat as needed

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS

IMPULSES - DC17, +7

• Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast

• Base Kinesis spacer.png 30' light bulk, generate, move or suppress

• Elemental Blasts spacer.png Air 60' 1d6 slashing or electricity, or Water 30' 1d8 bludgeoning or cold. For 2 actions add CON to damage

• Winter's Clutch spacer.png 60' 10' burst 2d4 cold and DT until fire damage

• Four Winds spacer.png 4 creatures can stride or fly 1/2 speed

• Oceans Balm spacer.png touch heal 1d8 HP, 10 minute immunity

Notes

Voz and Calmont - bookstore

Tarinlara - mom

Bumblebrashers - goblins at Citadel Altaerein, led by Helba

spacer.png

Rogue1a.jpeg.4698554afb6f993aefb0b1f5fe017d0b.jpegSyhlas Yaeder (Character sheet) Chaotic Good Human Rogue 1
Active Conditions:

Syhlas takes out a piece of cloth from his pack and cleans the blood from the frog and the monster in the courtyard off his rapier as they all gather and listen to the goblins.

"Is it only Helba who is missing now? Warbal sent us and she is safe in the town."

He turns to Ketu. "Didn't you say you are good at tracking people and animals even when there is only the faintest of trails left of them?"

They had received two tasks from the town council, to find all the Bumblebrashers and to retrieve Calmont. They are close to finishing them both but then there is the cult in the basement and finding out what Voz is up to. They really should look into that before it becomes an even bigger threat to the people of Breachill. He keeps his thoughts to himself for now, but he suspects that several of his companions are thinking along the same path.

Arionne Amata - Itinerant Scholarimage.png.6158122ad895e3badf8c1e1661802be9.png

checked-shield.svg AC: 18 health-normal.svg HP: 20/20 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +9 | sprint.svg Reflex: +6 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +4 | awareness.svg Perception: +3 |

Her own foe dispatched, Arionne turned just in time to watch Ketu unleash their own technique. Her golden-amber eyes narrowed, but there were too many differences. The Amurrun didn't shape the stones, merely selected them from the ground and hurled them. Whatever he was doing, it wasn't magic as she knew it, nor was it something akin to her own power. No matter, just something to mull over.

She jogged up to join the others as they spoke to the Goblins, though she struggled to really look at them.

"Do you know of a way down into the lower floors? Leeko mentioned the way was blocked."

She might not like them, but politeness had been drilled into her early. She'd still learn their names and use them, even if the word left a sour taste on her tongue. She was generally good at being courteous, even when it needed to be feigned.

OOC

image.png.f10fc36f9752b1a117fad650031a5334.png Conditions: Channel Elements, previously cast Armor in Earth action_single_black.png?v=dm-1

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngThe other goblins exchange a look with Leeko before answering Arionne. "Sorry, there's no way down right now."

To Syhlas' question, one responds "Oh, Helba wasn't alone - three others were with her."

The other nods and adds "We would have seen them if they left the citadel, so they must still be inside. Probably somewhere in the north wing - there's a mean bugbear who controls most of the south wing, we steer clear of her."

"Bugbear's dead," says Leeko. "But Helba didn't know that, so..."

Corwyn - Elf Sylph Kineticist 1 Application Sheetspacer.png

AC: 17 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +9 | Reflex: +7 | Will: +7Perception: +3 | R1 Cold | Conditions:

Corwyn introduces himself to the goblins and tries to get to know them a little. He is glad to hear Helba is still in the castle. He wasn't excited to wander around the woods, but exploring one building should be possible.

"I'm Corwyn. What are your names? Let's search the north wing then. Do you know any threats there?"

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action 1: Ocean's balm, repeat as needed

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC17, +7
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Base Kinesis spacer.png 30' light bulk, generate, move or suppress
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png Air 60' 1d6 slashing or electricity, or Water 30' 1d8 bludgeoning or cold. For 2 actions add CON to damage
  • Winter's Clutch spacer.png 60' 10' burst 2d4 cold and DT until fire damage
  • Four Winds spacer.png 4 creatures can stride or fly 1/2 speed
  • Oceans Balm spacer.png touch heal 1d8 HP, 10 minute immunity

Notes

Voz and Calmont - bookstore
Tarinlara - mom
Bumblebrashers - goblins at Citadel Altaerein, led by Helba
Warbal - goblin in Breachill
Leeko - goblin in bugbear room

spacer.png

Ketu the Ghost

spacer.pngGhost looks askance at Sylhas. "I never once said anything remotely like that. I can find my way in the wilderness by the stars; I'm barely competent with tracking. Calmont's trail was fairly obvious because he was leaving footprints in fresh blood."

He turns to the Goblins. "Do any of you have something of Helba's, something important to her, or that she handled recently? I might be able to do something with that, but it's a long shot."

Mechanics

Ketu the Ghost Character Sheet

Perception +3, low-light vision

Defense AC 15, Fortitude +4, Reflex +5, Will +5, hp 15/15

Conditions

Offense class DC 17

dagger +5, 1d4p (agile, finesse, thrown, versatile S)

crossbow +5, 1d8p (20 bolts)

Focus Points 1/2

Actions

OOC

I don't know if object reading would be very useful, and I don't want to burn my only spell slot on it, but it's on the table.

Active Conditions:

"Ah sorry I must have dreamt it then, but you are probably the best we have at this kind of task anyway." Syhlas gives Ketu an apologizing look but he also winks an eye.

"It's better if they are still in the castle. Makes them easier to find I hope." He lets Ketu and Corwyn talk to the goblins and wanders off along the battlements to get a look at the surroundings.

spacer.png"I'm Rorry, she's Weela, and the unconscious one is Quelk." Rorry smiles, then says "The north wing's mostly occupied by wild animals who take shelter here. We leave them alone, they leave us alone."

"We'd better get to Breachill and report to Warbal. She's probably been worried sick about us," says Weela, but then she pauses and looks curiously at Ketu. "Um, here, this is Helba's scarf... part of it, anyway." She bows her head and hands him a small strip of cloth.

The ceilings are still intact, so Syhlas can't see much. But as he glances at the rubble-surrounded body of water to the north, he sees a water bird land there, only to be snatched into the maw of what looks like a giant turtle.

image.jpeg.1bf506b13d468944173e567920351b56.jpegMatilde Canossa (Sheet) Human Cleric 1
HP: 18/18 | AC: 18 | Perception: +7 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +7 | Will: +5 | Speed: 25 ft.
Active Conditions:

Matilde looks up from where she was inspecting her sword, still not having wielded the blade directly in anger, as she glances about at the walls of the abandoned bastion, "I can track somewhat, though its not the easiest task on solid stone floors. Still, this place is dirty enough that there may be something we can catch sight of. Where did any of you last see Helba, exactly?"

Matilde does look a little nervous after making that offer though, wary of embarrassing herself, even as she readied to march over to wherever the goblins suggested she start looking.

Name
Survival Check, if necessary
1d20+7 14

Posted (edited)

spacer.png"In the courtyard, when we all ran away from that big dragon-dog," answers Weela. "Thanks for killing it, by the way. It ate our friend Tally."

"Everything wants to eat us," Rorry laments, then says "Good luck, friends! I hope nothing eats you."

Eventually returning downstairs, you move into the halls. This narrow corridor stretches around the octagonal center of the keep, divided by segments into doors leading through the towers. Light filters in through the narrow windows, and paintings of dour-faced Hellknights sit between them. Matilde scans the dust-coated floor and finds four sets of goblin-sized footprints, leading to the east and north.

Following the trail, you enter what was once a courtroom. The judge's bench, witness stand, and councilors' tables are still intact while broken fragments of benches are strewn about the gallery, covering the room in debris. Through several empty doorways to the north, you see a large, ragged opening in the citadel's wall. Water fills much of the collapsed section, and sitting in that water is the "giant turtle" Syhlas saw - which is too busy enjoying its meal to bother noticing you.

From here, you hear voices coming from the west - it sounds like someone is arguing with a child.

"C'mon! I said 'please' and everything!" says a young-sounding voice.

"It doesn't matter how nicely you ask," says an older-sounding one, exasperated. "The answer is still no."