Chapter 2: Hellknight Hill

Eagleheart

Rogue1a.jpeg.4698554afb6f993aefb0b1f5fe017d0b.jpegSyhlas Yaeder (Character sheet) Chaotic Good Human Rogue 1
HP: 17/17 | AC: 19 | Perc +5 | Fort +7 | Ref +9 | Will +8 | Speed: 25 ft.
Active Conditions:

"I see what you mean," Syhlas says to the goblins after he sees the giant turtle eating a bird. "We will be careful then. No one brings salt." He adds in an attempt to make a joke about not being eaten.

When they come back down to the courtyard and Matilde starts following a trail he apologizes once again, this time to the Iomedean. "I'm sorry for underestimating your tracking skills earlier." Then turning to the entire group. "Beware of that big turtle. I just saw it snatch a big bird alive. If we are lucky it is full now."

When they hear voices he puts a finger in front of his mouth to silence everyone. Then he moves silently towards the two voices to try to see who they might be.

OOC

Moving with Stealth.

Name
Move stealthily
1d20+7 14

Corwyn - Elf Sylph Kineticist 1 Application Sheetspacer.png

AC: 17 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +9 | Reflex: +7 | Will: +7Perception: +3 | R1 Cold | Conditions:

Corwyn says goodbye to the goblins and wishes them luck.

"Are you sure you don't want to wait for Helba and the others? Then you can all go to Breachill together. If not, please let hem know the situation here. Our next goal is to find the other goblins, and then investigate the dungeons."

As he enters the courtroom, Corwyn summons his swirling, cool mist, bathing the party in refreshing air. While not wanting to antagonize the turtle, he also wants to keep it away. His mists briefly coalesce between us and the turtle. A large snowfall appears in front of the turtle. He's not trying to damage it, but to make it not want to come towards us.

Mechanics

If that's not allowed, let me know and I'll change my post.

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action 1: Winter Sleet in front of the turtle, making 20' of difficult terrain.

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS

IMPULSES - DC17, +7

• Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast

• Base Kinesis spacer.png 30' light bulk, generate, move or suppress

• Elemental Blasts spacer.png Air 60' 1d6 slashing or electricity, or Water 30' 1d8 bludgeoning or cold. For 2 actions add CON to damage

• Winter's Clutch spacer.png 60' 10' burst 2d4 cold and DT until fire damage

• Four Winds spacer.png 4 creatures can stride or fly 1/2 speed

• Oceans Balm spacer.png touch heal 1d8 HP, 10 minute immunity

Notes

Voz and Calmont - bookstore

Tarinlara - mom

Bumblebrashers - goblins at Citadel Altaerein, led by Helba

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngThe turtle completely ignores you, still happily munching on its avian snack.

In the other room, Syhlas sees what looks like a pair of young black wolves having a standoff with a trio of goblins. Just as he begins to wonder about the child-like voice, he discovers that it belongs to one of the wolves. "C'mon, let us eat her. I promise she won't feel a thing."

"That's really not the point!" says one of the goblins. As he follows the gaze of the room's occupants, Syhlas spots a fourth goblin laying unconscious in the middle of the room. "Helba is our leader. We don't want her to die!"

"I know, I get it," says the other wolf. She also sounds very much like a child, though perhaps a bit older than the first. "I didn't want my mama to die, either, but she died anyway. Bad stuff just happens. You gotta learn to accept it."

"...Yeah, but...!" The goblin stamps their foot with frustration. "You can just choose not to eat her! That's not that hard!"

The wolves actually seem to consider this for a few seconds, but then they reply "Yeah, but we're hungry, though..."

At that, the goblins just glare at the wolves who, despite their attitude, are not actually showing any hostile body language.

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)

Rogue1a.jpeg.4698554afb6f993aefb0b1f5fe017d0b.jpegSyhlas Yaeder (Character sheet) Chaotic Good Human Rogue 1
Active Conditions:

As Syhlas watches the scene and listens to the weird conversation between the goblins and the talking wolves he signals to his companions to come forward and join him. He still holds his rapier in his right hand as he approaches the goblins and wolves.

"What is going on here?" he asks in a loud commanding voice. "What has happened to Helba? Whatever it is no one is going to eat her."

"I'm Syhlas and these are my companions." He gestures behind him as he assumes his friends are joining him. "We were sent by Warbal to find the Bumblebrushers and bring you to safety. Who are you two?" He points the tip of his rapier at the two wolves.

OOC

Approach the group of Goblins and Wolves.

Name
Intimidate Wolves
1d20+6 18

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngThe wolves whine and back away from Syhlas, clearly understanding that he is a threat. "Okay, okay, we won't eat her..."

The goblins allow themselves to breathe a sigh of relief. Then, they explain "Helba took a blow to the head and was acting very strangely. She led us here, then passed out."

"The wargs didn't hurt her," another clarifies. "She was hurt before we got here."

Wargs are huge, evil, talking wolves - that much is common knowledge. But if these are wargs, they must be very young - 1 month old, at most. Probably not old enough to be truly 'evil' yet.

"Um, so, what do you mean by 'who are we'?" says one warg, looking sincerely confused by the question.

AC: 17 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +9 | Reflex: +7 | Will: +7Perception: +3 | R1 Cold | Conditions:

Corwyn slides into the room and stays along the wall, behind the rest of the party. His swirling mists still cooling the party but hopefully not noticeable by the wolves.

Mechanics

Action 1: Avoid notice

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC17, +7
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png Air 60' 1d6 slashing or electricity, or Water 30' 1d8 bludgeoning or cold. For 2 actions add CON to damage

Notes

Tarinlara - mom

spacer.png

Name
Avoid Notice
1d20+5 14

Active Conditions:

Syhlas had heard some stories about wolves that are intelligent to some extent and able to speak. When the goblins mention wargs he also remembers that he has heard that name before, but this is the first time he actually meets some of their species.

He looks back at his companions to see if someone else might want to take over the conversation with these wargs as he isn't sure what to do with them as long as they stay away from the goblins.

"Well 'wargs' is sufficient for now," he answers the question from the four-legged creature. "Just stay away from her." He lowers his weapon and points at Helba with his unarmed hand. Then he moves closer to where Helba lies and puts himself between her and the wargs.

"We need to bring her back to the town so she can get medical aid unless you can help her, Matilde. Or Corwyn perhaps? Wherever you are." He looks back at his companions, not noticing the elf at first.

Arionne Amata - Itinerant Scholarimage.png.6158122ad895e3badf8c1e1661802be9.png

checked-shield.svg AC: 18 health-normal.svg HP: 20/20 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +9 | sprint.svg Reflex: +6 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +4 | awareness.svg Perception: +3 |

Wargs.

Arionne felt her heart pounding in her chest, drowning out all other sounds with its thunder. It was the beating of war drums, the call of horns. It was the taste of blood on her lips and the feeling of her lungs burning as she tried desperately to convince her legs to keep going. To run. To escape the screams, escape the flames, flee from what her eyes had seen. She could hear their hunting calls, their mocking laughter. She was that scared little girl again, weak, helpless. Dragonfire would not answer her call.

She stumbled slightly, regaining her balance but not her focus. She wanted to scream, wanted to call down fire, to deny what she had been. She was strong now, she did not have to shudder and shake at the thought of these beasts. She could burn them, reduce them to ash and cinder. She wanted to charge forward roaring her challenge, bellowing her defiance. Fire flickered about her, shimmering sparks that sought to condense into chains and spikes and barbs...

OOC

image.png.f10fc36f9752b1a117fad650031a5334.png Conditions: Channel Elements, previously cast Armor in Earth action_single_black.png?v=dm-1

Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

Corwyn steps out from behind the others. He looks at the wargs and then at the goblins. He knows he can't the wolves eat these nice goblins. Bad ones sure, but these are friendly.

"If you are hungry, there's a lizard and three giant frogs in the courtyard that were just killed. I hear frog legs are delicious. If you prefer mammals, there's a bugbear body in the south wing. It's fresh too. I'm sure if you stick with us and help us, we'll find a lot more food for you. What do you say? Frog legs and bugbear tenderloin? Then come with us and help us find more food."

Mechanics

Action 1: Diplomacy

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC17, +7

Notes

Tarinlara - mom

spacer.png

Name
Diplomacy
1d20+5 5

image.jpeg.1bf506b13d468944173e567920351b56.jpegMatilde Canossa (Sheet) Human Cleric 1
HP: 18/18 | AC: 18 | Perception: +7 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +7 | Will: +5 | Speed: 25 ft.
Active Conditions:

Matilde shrugs at the apology, "I've never mentioned it before, so there was no reason to assume, and I'm certainly not dressed like some manner of scout. But there were some things I was...forced to learn before I came back here." She does step aside once they could hear noises and the sound of more goblins and other things besides, deciding to let the others deal with the rather odd negotiation up ahead, and firmly keeping her eyes on the turtle, in case it turned into a danger.

As she stood watch though, the redheaded lass noticed Arionne becoming unsteady, and sparks seeming to flicker from her. Unsure what to make of it, she simply sheathed her blade and stepped over, trying to put a steadying hand on the woman. "What is the matter, are you unwell?"

Edited by crazncanuck (see edit history)

Arionne Amata - Itinerant Scholarimage.png.6158122ad895e3badf8c1e1661802be9.png

checked-shield.svg AC: 18 health-normal.svg HP: 20/20 |halloween_outline-23-512.png Fortitude: +9 | sprint.svg Reflex: +6 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +4 | awareness.svg Perception: +3 |

Arionne didn't even look at Matilde, her eyes locked on the Worgs.

"Keep them away from me..."

She muttered, and they could practically hear her teeth grinding as she spoke.

"... or I'll break their fangs in and burn their throats out through their gaping mouths."

It was a shocking promise of violence from the woman. She was normally excessively polite in her day to day interactions. They'd seen her angry exactly once before, and that had been earlier that very day when Syhlas had spoken ill of her mentors and teachers. This though, this was something else entirely. She was furious as she glared at the two creatures, and even at that distance they would be able to see the heat radiating quite literally from her gaze.

OOC

image.png.f10fc36f9752b1a117fad650031a5334.png Conditions: Channel Elements, previously cast Armor in Earth action_single_black.png?v=dm-1

Posted (edited)

spacer.pngThe young wargs give Corwyn a puzzled look. "Um, thanks, but we can find our own food."

"You're gonna let them eat the bugbear?" Leeko looks quite surprised. "I mean, I don't give a damn, but I thought humans and elves and such had a big thing about respect for the dead."

The wargs completely ignore Leeko and keep their attention focused on Corwyn. "I think he's trying to be our friend," says the older one.

"Ohhh." The younger one nods. "Well, in that case, can you do us a favor? Please kill our papa."

The older one seems to smile. "Yeah, he killed Mama, and he's always yelling at us about how worthless we are. We hate him. Please kill him so that we can have some peace and quiet."

"...Now, that lady is scaring us—" they glance at Arionne— "so we're gonna go hide for a little bit. 'Bye for now."

Active Conditions:

Syhlas feels the tension Arionne brings to the room before he notices that her entire body physically exudes barely controlled anger. She looks like a volcano about to explode even if that is something Syhlas has only heard eloquently described in bard's stories. But he doesn't want to find out if she actually is able to spew out lava, especially not in a confined room like this and he isn't sure if she has control over herself.

He moves after the wargs to see them out and away as quickly as possible. "We'll see what we can do about your papa. No promises but stay away from us for a while." He says as they walk out.

Then he turns to Arionne and Matilde. "Now can we take care of Helba and get her out of here?" He looks at Arionne for a few moments and considers saying something to her but then changes his mind. He knows they have opposing views on some things and he doesn't want to make things worse right now so he decides to be silent. Instead he sheathes his rapier and moves back to the goblins.

"We have met your friends and they already started walking down to the town. We believe you are the last of the Bumblebrashers left here, right? Let's see if we can get Helba back on her feet so you can join them."

Ketu the Ghost

spacer.pngGhost nods appreciatively at Corwyn's...unconventional pragmatism. "I was just going to offer them some food from our packs," he mutters.

He approaches the goblins. "May we have a look at her? What do you mean by 'acting strangely'?"

He's no surgeon, but he knows that strange behavior could be caused by a blow to the head - or by a magical or spiritual affliction. He kneels down near Helba and raises his hand, palm outward, in front of his chest. There is an odd vibration in the air of magic happening, but not the lightshow typical of arcane or divine magic.

Mechanics

Ketu the Ghost Character Sheet

Perception +3, low-light vision

Defense AC 15, Fortitude +4, Reflex +5, Will +5, hp 15/15

Conditions

Offense class DC 17

dagger +5, 1d4p (agile, finesse, thrown, versatile S)

crossbow +5, 1d8p (20 bolts)

Focus Points 1/2

Actions

1, 2 detect magic

OOC

If detect magic brings back a response, I may follow up with read aura or recall knowledge

As the wargs start to leave, Corwyn doesn't want them to go hunt the goblins that just left. He moves towards them and speaks to them in a soft, friendly voice.

"Our fiery friend over there has a particular affinity for our goblin friends. If any goblins go missing, or we find any dead, I'm sure she will hunt you down. I would stick to the bugbear and frogs if I were you."

He then moves to help Ghost, trying his healing touch to see if it is effective.

Mechanics

Action 1: Diplomacy

Action 2: Move

Action 3: Ocean's Balm

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC17, +7

Notes

Tarinlara - mom

spacer.png