Character Creation Discussion Thread

I'm currently planning on arcane weaponeer magus 9//reaper 2/living weapon armorist 7. Reaper gets access to rogue talents for prescient dodger for CAM to AC while unarmored, magus can grab a mageknight mystic combat for imbued weapon for CAM to attack/damage, living weapon lets you take an aegis that gives an armor bonus and one that gives a shield bonus as bound "equipment", getting decent armor/shield bonuses without deactivating prescient dodger.

I was initially planning on just going for spell combat full attacks because action economy is nice, but then I noticed that living weapon armorist happens to have an arsenal trick to get U!monk's flurry. I wasn't even thinking of that when planning, and I didn't expect it to work (due to a GM ban if nothing else), I just had to ask as if I could get flurry for almost free I might as well.

Interestingly, I'm also looking at the Living Weapon, so this being okay or not is relevant to a couple of us. By the sounds of it though Tagger, I think we're going in different directions? Sounds like you're really after your magic. I'm gonna get what I can out of Protection, but my focus is more on my practitioner side. (Looking at a Final Fantasy esque Monk/Dragoon sorta setup, using the Athletics sphere to literally fall on enemies. ^^)

Are advanced, legendary, and exceptional talents allowed in this game?

Are we using any of the variant skill rules in Guile? I was thinking of creating a character with Mediator's Mien, Friend of a Friend, Orator, and Diabolical Negotiator, who can instantly shift an enemy group from hostile to helpful.

Would it be fine to play a Pathfinderized solarian with the monadic sage archetype, which converts it to Spheres?

Edited by Colette (see edit history)

@Saberfan What should we be looking at for Technology? I'm liking the idea of my character coming from one of the more technologically advanced worlds you outlined, but we've kinda got two different tech subsystems potentially - the Tech sphere, and Paizo's Technology Guide. Is one of those the main source for how you'd be handling tech, or do they both kinda coexist?

Sarenrae's Divine Fighting Technique allows for fire-based spells to do non-lethal damage. Would you allow that to translate to spherecasting?

Can I invent a fairly big religion to exist in Nexus? I envision a syncretic Mother Chrurch, venerating a range of goddesses, in a maiden/mother/crone distribution of roles and variations in dogma.

21 hours ago, Taggerung559 said:

I'm currently planning on arcane weaponeer magus 9//reaper 2/living weapon armorist 7. Reaper gets access to rogue talents for prescient dodger for CAM to AC while unarmored, magus can grab a mageknight mystic combat for imbued weapon for CAM to attack/damage, living weapon lets you take an aegis that gives an armor bonus and one that gives a shield bonus as bound "equipment", getting decent armor/shield bonuses without deactivating prescient dodger.

I was initially planning on just going for spell combat full attacks because action economy is nice, but then I noticed that living weapon armorist happens to have an arsenal trick to get U!monk's flurry. I wasn't even thinking of that when planning, and I didn't expect it to work (due to a GM ban if nothing else), I just had to ask as if I could get flurry for almost free I might as well.

21 hours ago, Inquisitor D said:

Interestingly, I'm also looking at the Living Weapon, so this being okay or not is relevant to a couple of us. By the sounds of it though Tagger, I think we're going in different directions? Sounds like you're really after your magic. I'm gonna get what I can out of Protection, but my focus is more on my practitioner side. (Looking at a Final Fantasy esque Monk/Dragoon sorta setup, using the Athletics sphere to literally fall on enemies. ^^)

After checking with a friend of mine who once worked in the design space, I've confirmed that Flurry of Blows and Spell Combat are indeed incompatible because they are both special full-attack actions.

19 hours ago, Rhallan said:

Since it is third party I wanted to check to see if the Necros class is allowed?

The Necros class is allowed.

7 hours ago, Colette said:

Are advanced, legendary, and exceptional talents allowed in this game?

Are we using any of the variant skill rules in Guile? I was thinking of creating a character with Mediator's Mien, Friend of a Friend, Orator, and Diabolical Negotiator, who can instantly shift an enemy group from hostile to helpful.

Would it be fine to play a Pathfinderized solarian with the monadic sage archetype, which converts it to Spheres?

Advanced, Legendary, and Exceptional Talents are allowed; the only ones not allowed are the Deific Talents.

With regards to the variant skill rules, I will be incorporating the following: the alternate Prolonged Skill Check, the Intrigue variant, and the new Skill Uses.

I completely forgot about the Starfinder conversions and will add those to the list of allowed classes.

The Pathfinder Solarion is fine so long as you use the Monadic Sage archetype.

5 hours ago, Inquisitor D said:

@Saberfan What should we be looking at for Technology? I'm liking the idea of my character coming from one of the more technologically advanced worlds you outlined, but we've kinda got two different tech subsystems potentially - the Tech sphere, and Paizo's Technology Guide. Is one of those the main source for how you'd be handling tech, or do they both kinda coexist?

They both coexist in this game, so feel free to dip into either or both of those if you so desire.

5 hours ago, Casual Viking said:

Sarenrae's Divine Fighting Technique allows for fire-based spells to do non-lethal damage. Would you allow that to translate to spherecasting?

Can I invent a fairly big religion to exist in Nexus? I envision a syncretic Mother Chrurch, venerating a range of goddesses, in a maiden/mother/crone distribution of roles and variations in dogma.

I would allow for that technique to translate to spherecasting.

You may indeed invent a new religion that exists on the Nexus, but be aware that it will be one of countless others rather than a predominant force since the idea behind the city is that it is a Ravnica or Sigil-esque ultimate melting pot of people, creeds, and philosophies.

15 minutes ago, Colette said:

What level of firearms is in play in this setting?

Are custom blasts allowed?

Does the limitation on improving attitudes apply in this game?

The concept of firearms will vary depending on the world. For the purposes of firearm proficiency and the purchasing of firearms within the Nexus or more technologically advanced worlds, assume that Guns Everywhere is in effect. Different planes, however, may have varying levels of firearms or even none at all, so I'd recommend making purchases whenever the option becomes available.

I'm amenable to Custom Blasts being used, but those will need to be cleared with me in a similar manner to Spellcrafting or Techniquecrafting.

Those limitations on improving attitudes are a fairly good representation of how I handle things, even if they're not entirely one-to-one.