Character Creation Discussion Thread

15 minutes ago, AdellRazh said:

Nothing quite like high-powered gestalt to draw people out of the woodwork.

I can scarcely imagine what numbers my usual style of games would draw in if that's the case, seeing as how this game is relatively tame compared to some of those. Something to consider for further down the road, I suppose!

1 minute ago, Saberfan said:

I can scarcely imagine what numbers my usual style of games would draw in if that's the case, seeing as how this game is relatively tame compared to some of those. Something to consider for further down the road, I suppose!

The Level 20, 35-point, Trisalt crowd are ravenous dogs long left unfed in their kennels and will devour you and your game akin.

32 minutes ago, AdellRazh said:

The Level 20, 35-point, Trisalt crowd are ravenous dogs long left unfed in their kennels and will devour you and your game akin.

I will certainly keep that in mind for later down the road as I ponder ideas for future games. Tristalt maybe not so much, but high levels, gestalt, mythic, and even epic levels of some kind are things I'm willing to entertain. We'll see how things shake out after I get comfortably settled in with this game.

6 hours ago, Saberfan said:

Reminder that there is only a single day left to complete your applications and I will not consider any application that is submitted after February 1st at 11:59 P.M. I am a bit behind on going through the statblocks, likely around 80% finished, so I will probably not actually announce who gets in until February 2nd or 3rd, but the deadline still stands for submissions. If there is anything minor that needs adjusting with any particular character, I will be lenient on that due to falling behind on my own job as a GM working through statblocks and won't count that against players if they are selected, although any required changes will still need to be made.

Can I get a Timezone on that? I have no idea where in the world you are...

Also - what happens if you cast this on a Paladin? Do they lose their paladin abiliites while under the effect, or can they do evil things without breaking their Code? Both? (It has very interesting implications regardless of which way it goes...)

Black on Black Morality

Prerequisites: Dark sphere (Gaze Into The Abyss), caster level 10th.

By spending additional 2 spell points you may empower a blot, darkness, or shadow so that the alignments of those within are rendered utterly null. Any new spell or effect targeting a creature or object of a particular alignment, or with a variable effect determined by alignment, automatically fails against targets protected by Black And Black Morality. Creatures lose the benefit of alignment-based damage reduction when affected by Black And Black Morality. Any ongoing spell or effect targeting alignment, such as a paladin’s smite ability or the penalties inflicted by a strongly aligned plane, are suspended for as long as the target is protected by Black And Black Morality, but not ended. Time spent protected by Black And Black Morality counts against the duration of ongoing effects.

I've applied for one or two of those crazy high-powered games before but they rarely seem to last more than a scene - if that. I think I saw one go once that did manage to conquer the Quicksilver Hourglass enough to get some actual playtime in (that module seems to be cursed - though L30 modules be like that) but the vast majority of them, not so much.

6 hours ago, Saberfan said:

I will certainly keep that in mind for later down the road as I ponder ideas for future games. Tristalt maybe not so much, but high levels, gestalt, mythic, and even epic levels of some kind are things I'm willing to entertain. We'll see how things shake out after I get comfortably settled in with this game.

Threaten me with a good time why don't you.

21 hours ago, Ratpigeon said:

Can I get a Timezone on that? I have no idea where in the world you are...

Also - what happens if you cast this on a Paladin? Do they lose their paladin abiliites while under the effect, or can they do evil things without breaking their Code? Both? (It has very interesting implications regardless of which way it goes...)

Black on Black Morality

Prerequisites: Dark sphere (Gaze Into The Abyss), caster level 10th.

By spending additional 2 spell points you may empower a blot, darkness, or shadow so that the alignments of those within are rendered utterly null. Any new spell or effect targeting a creature or object of a particular alignment, or with a variable effect determined by alignment, automatically fails against targets protected by Black And Black Morality. Creatures lose the benefit of alignment-based damage reduction when affected by Black And Black Morality. Any ongoing spell or effect targeting alignment, such as a paladin’s smite ability or the penalties inflicted by a strongly aligned plane, are suspended for as long as the target is protected by Black And Black Morality, but not ended. Time spent protected by Black And Black Morality counts against the duration of ongoing effects.

Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5) is my timezone. So there is a little over 15 hours remaining for submissions to be posted as of the time this reply goes live.

As for the interactions, there are two parts to my answer.

In regards to whether it will make a Paladin lose their powers, I would rule no. It states that any new spell or effect that works or has a variable effect based on alignment fails against those under the protection of Black on Black Morality, with the tradeoff that alignment-based DR is suspended when under the effect.

As for whether a Paladin can do things that would break their code, I would rule no. The effect protects from alignment-based effects and such, but it doesn't protect a being from the spiritual repercussions of their actions once the effect ends.

Some fun observations about themes based on a few messy counts during what may well be the final day before character selections:

• There are 6 apps for characters coming from an 'Earth'
  • There are 6 apps coming from explicitly dead worlds or post-apocalyptic worlds
  • There are 5 apps that are tied to the fey
  • There are 4 apps that are partially or entirely constructs

9 minutes ago, Mister Doctor said:

Some fun observations about themes based on a few messy counts during what may well be the final day before character selections:

• There are 6 apps for characters coming from an 'Earth'
  • There are 6 apps coming from explicitly dead worlds or post-apocalyptic worlds
  • There are 5 apps that are tied to the fey

Extremely curious which of those you evaluated Lusinga under. You gotta tell us who's who.

22 minutes ago, AdellRazh said:

Extremely curious which of those you evaluated Lusinga under. You gotta tell us who's who.

I put Lusinga and Spark under 'Fey' since as much as Lusinga might try to claim otherwise, he's just a bunch of class features with an attitude.

The breakdown with an additional category and recounts:

• There are 5 apps for characters coming from an 'Earth'
    • Kevin Crowley (Ulysses Dare)
    • GETE (ME)
    • Jonas Mojżesz Brązowien (Toptomcat)
    • Yuki Shimada (Faeryl_)
    • Krauss Friedrich (Master_Enceladus)
    • Kevin Crowley (Ulysses Dare)
    • Danika Yvaine (Ratpidgeon)
    • GETE (ME)
    • Krez (Laird Ichofox)
    • Virgil Croy (CRook)
    • Arwendre (djacob91)
  • There are 4 apps that are tied to the fey
    • Lasiga la Veritas/Spark (AdellRazh)
    • Rowan (Illogictree)
    • Denor Talihsiz (namo)
    • Alshirein (Llyarden)
    • Olympia Lovelace (Davkas)
    • Edgtha Sturmrkast (Greathackster)
    • Arwendre (djacob91)
    • Bane of Kree (Rudra)
  • There is only 1 app that is undead/undead adjacent
    • Amara Teldis (Sundust)
Edited by Mister Doctor (see edit history)

The only note I'd make about Virgil is that rather than a dead world, he might be better classified as in exile from a dying world. The call to action to try to do something about it, the unprepared nature of his exile and the uncertainty about the condition of his world means he lacks either the closure of watching his world die or the experience of living in a dead world.

It's why a boy with quiet and academic tendencies has shouldered his trauma by being a poor stand in for a better set of heroes.

But that might be an especially grim reading - functionally, he can be classed in the dead world group.