Redemption - General Hangout (Everyone Welcome)

14 minutes ago, Basil_Bottletop said:

Frankly, that might be one reason Wyck hasn't even connected with him at all yet. I'm not sure exactly what to do with his experience around your kind.

I understand. Initially, Roland's reaction was influenced by stereotypes associated with monstrous race, but Roland placed more trust in Aly's positive reaction to them. But if you noticed he had no prior experience with deep gnomes and he reacted more rudely to Yopine during the Gnomish encounter - which Aly reprimanded him for and asked him to show more trust in people (and he trust her judgement more than his own)...

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

I will note that y'all didn't encounter Torben in the wild - he was in a town that had already grappled to some degree with who he was and, with Ragz's reputation and assistance, was able to make him somewhat accepted, so the town's reactions to him helped to mitigate some of the normal oh-it's-a-monster! responses you might have had in other settings.

Oh yeah, it could also be mentioned that Wyck was looking at each of these scenes differently too. Even the meeting of groups itself could have been 'the thing' that happened, and thus getting to know every Dick, John, and Harry wasn't as important as seeing what it all meant. That bleeds into his personality too, if I ever actually comes up.

1 hour ago, Harding said:

I enjoy argumentative and contrarian people. So, with me, your DC to convince me is lower. But with depending how deep is the stick in the ***, you may struggle against people baddly aligned with your personality disposition. So, it is a higher charisma check DC.

You see my point?

Right, but DCs are situational where stats are mostly constant and applied universally to the characters actions. Yopine is at the same time eloquent and a terrible liar. That's difficult to represent with a single score.

Since she's meant to be bad at most of the actions that would require a charisma roll, I took a score that represented those mechanics. Otherwise she would have real advantages that work against her concept.

I'll see if I can find a way to play her better, though.

As for the meta-nickname, @Basil_Bottletop, agreed that it's a bit much. It did play well into Ragz' Deep Gnome Girl comment as she explained that's what it translated to, though. After that she seems kind of stuck with it.

I think there is too much attachment to the stat. If you would fail in a roll because of a character flaw, just make it fail. Having a high score in a stat doesn't mean you are good at everything related to it. Like someone charismatic, very convincing could be an ugly sod and incapable of getting any women. Or someone very dextrous incapable of juggling.

It is a roleplaying game. You (and the DM) are the ultimate judge of who is your character and what he can or will struggle to do.

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

I agree and disagree... while yes there can be flaws, it does kinda bother me when the stats seem to be waived. the social cha dump stat is a common one or the clever dump int. Not saying those things can't happen, but if unlike strength or dex, the mental stats are more often ignored... they're also the ones actually roleplayed so it gets tricky, like you aren't generally expected to RP your lifting a portcullis or dodging a fireball, but you're expected to come up with something eloquent when rolling persuasion.

Relevant to our nerdy interests:

Anyone ever played Slay the Spire? I just got the board game version of it, but haven't gotten to play it yet. Looks great, though!

Also, this:

swtpb.PNG.175062615188b9bd18685e4bd15be527.PNG

I lost thirty-odd hours to Slay the Spire, so I can attest to its addictive nature. I wasn't very good at it, though, and I eventually fall away from games that don't have actual, established endings, so I eventually moved on.

The board game looks great! It's a co-op, so you can have the Defect and Ironclad fighting together at the same time (all 4 classes can play at the same time!). Each of the cards can be upgraded, so they are doublesided with the regular skill on one side, and the upgraded one on the other side, and you put the cards in special sleeves they provided that block the unused side. It's pretty cool. It also unlocks more cards for each class as you beat the game solo or co-op , just like in the video game, so it's got that roguelike feel to it.

• 2 weeks later...