Redemption - General Hangout (Everyone Welcome)

I've never met anyone from here but I met my sister from another mister in Second Life. We've met up the last 3 times I was through AZ. We were just online friends but when I moved home to take care of my dad when he had his brain tumor, she was the only one that texted almost every day... how's your dad doing?... how's your mom hanging in... that's familia.

7 hours ago, Nighteyes5678 said:

We can talk about Varen behind his back! I'll let you see the secret DM notes he sends me!

*lays out his substantial files on NE across several tables*

No, come visit ME and we'll talk about HIM instead!

😁

6 hours ago, Civit said:

I moved home to take care of my dad when he had his brain tumor,

Is he OK?

6 hours ago, Civit said:

that's familia

Seriously. There are some fabulous people in this world. I just wish I was friends with any of them. 😉

No, he passed. The cancer he had average is 18-24 mo he split it at 21mo. This was 8 years ago though. My dad passed 11days after their 50th wedding anniversary and they died 3mo apart.

Ironically, at the time I was working in neurology. (I'm an RN) Just the universe making sure I was able to take care of him and çpay back" all they did for me.

Back in the day, MW had a silly thread about where people were. I think the idea was to help people feel like they could create longer-lasting connections. It was a terrible idea.

Anyways, I met someone in that thread and ended up joining a live game with them. Before long they left but I stayed. That's where I befriended one of the other players and eventually we both left for better pastures. Him and his partner have been my best friends for the past 13 years. I was the best man at their wedding.

As for meeting other people: Before she gave up her booth, I had standing orders to stop by Dauph's booth at Gen Con every year and take a picture so we could send it to one of the Mods to tease him. She liked it because I was an easy sale on books. I'm a sucker for getting my books signed by the authors.

I've also been present at all three of the Myth-Weavers Meetups that happen in Kalamazoo, MI. It's mostly just an excuse for people to get together and play board games and a few one-shots. Last year, I didn't even play in any one-shots. I just hung out with Dauph and used my get-baby-to-sleep powers on Colin's no-nap kid. Also, cheap drinks...if you're into that kind of thing.

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

Always asked to go to Gencon for my birthday.... never been :( We don't have any good game cons anymore. We SHOULD with Wizards, Whizkids and Paizo all less than 3 hours from here...

Gygax was a dick. Guy I played with got in a Gygax game. It was bring your favorite character thing. His character died and Gygax destroyed the character sheet saying "you're character died. You can't use him in another game"

1 hour ago, Civit said:

Gygax was a dick. Guy I played with got in a Gygax game. It was bring your favorite character thing. His character died and Gygax destroyed the character sheet saying "you're character died. You can't use him in another game"

That makes me sad. I mean, it tracks with what I've heard about him, but it still makes me sad. I'd want the creator of one of my fave hobbies to NOT be like that, but the best I can do is to not be like that myself.

Well, except when I'm a GM, doing terrible things to my players like I am right now, but we can ignore that.

Edited by Varen Tai (see edit history)

I never trust what other people say about other people... I mean someone once gave me a negative review when they came to me and said "I have a problem" and my response was "your face"... Like that's hilarious.

I played in a DCC one-shot at Gen Con a few years back. It started at midnight and I've not been built for that since high school...but anyways... The DCC's are all 0-level character funnels, which means you play 2-4 characters at a time and just hope one of them survives the save-or-die junk that gets thrown at them. Some people love it. I didn't care for it too much. But I did enjoy that when you died, the GM would run over and slam down a stamp on your character sheet that said DEAD. He would get real excited about it too. It made death far more enjoyable, even the ones where you literally had no way to avoid it.

5 minutes ago, Civit said:

Paranoia, if you aren't on your 4th clone in the first hour you aren't doing it right.

One of those games that I ADORED reading the rulebooks but never got to play. Paranoia was freaking hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 8:29 AM, Varen Tai said:

Hoo, Nelly! Got my W2 yesterday and plowed through my taxes all in one sitting. Glad THAT'S done.

You're still doing that? Pretty sure I was told all of that got put on hold during the first lockdown. I haven't paid taxes or left my house in years. Maybe I should double check that.

In the meantime, I call for a game of D&D Truth or Dare! I'll start...

"What was your most embarrassing gaming moment."

For me? My first character was a magic-user of course, because what else was I expected to play? I immediately began memorizing all of those awesome spells. Starting with the higher level ones first because that's where all the fun stuff was. And you can tell what the first level spells do anyway because it's all right there in the name. Worry about the details if you ever get around to casting it.

Someone called me on that BS:

"So then what does Find Familiar do?"

"Oh, it grants the caster instant familiarity with an object or area. Like knowing where all the best shortcuts are in a new city, or what a strange tool they just found is for."

Now, being wrong is one thing. But I was just so confident in my answer that the whole thing was hilarious. And it's not like they bothered to correct me. Just let me keep digging that hole deeper.

Fortunately I learned that lesson well and I can just as confidently say that I've never repeated the mistake either in gaming or in real life. Pretty sure.

ANYWAY! Next person can answer the question, change the question, or leave a dare for a PC to perform in-character. Either something generic that anyone could pick up or a call out to a specific character if you have that in mind.

Assuming the dare passes both GM and player approval, the character has to perform that action at some point in the game.

Who's up?