Questions Here!

ice9004

On 2/2/2024 at 2:41 AM, ice9004 said:

Dang... that's a tough call.

I am slightly leaning toward Idea 1 as Idea 2 makes me feel he will cause a non-insignificant amount of in-character party conflict.

posting this from cellphone

thanks for the quick response, and I'll try to get something up based on it if I can. But my PC just broke....badly... with all my files are on it.... and it'll be a bit before I can even scrounge up the cash to get it fixed/replaced. So if I don't get a character posted in time, thanks for at least considering.

Hello! I saw your ad for the game, and a character concept immediately came to mind, however, it's a bit unorthodox. I see that you're open to homebrew though, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask: what do you think of the possibility of homebrewing nephilim as a race? I haven't thought too much about the mechanics of such a character, but I could come up with something if it doesn't sound too out of the box.

I've never played a pathfinder game, however, I do have over 1K hours in Pathfinder: WotR and have played a great deal of D20 in the past.🤓 The basic character premise is a nephilim battle oracle dual wielding a pair of divine sawed-off shotguns on a Kratos-like quest against his own family except in pursuit of power vs revenge, a benevolent tyrant that sees Dracula as a potential opportunity to gain more power as a stepping stone in his greater goals.

Edited by Ultima (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Ultima said:

Hello! I saw your ad for the game, and a character concept immediately came to mind, however, it's a bit unorthodox. I see that you're open to homebrew though, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask: what do you think of the possibility of homebrewing nephilim as a race? I haven't thought too much about the mechanics of such a character, but I could come up with something if it doesn't sound too out of the box.

I've never played a pathfinder game, however, I do have over 1K hours in Pathfinder: WotR and have played a great deal of D20 in the past.🤓 The basic character premise is a nephilim battle oracle dual wielding a pair of divine sawed-off shotguns on a Kratos-like quest against his own family except in pursuit of power vs revenge, a benevolent tyrant that sees Dracula as a potential opportunity to gain more power as a stepping stone in his greater goals.

Hello!

So I was thinking and I have a few few questions:

• What kind of nephilim are you asking about?
    • A Judeo-Christian nephilim is actually more of a tieflings, but some media see it as a angle/demon hybrid.
  • Is the character any sort of evil?
    • I forgot to put it in character creation but I'm looking for non-evil characters.
  • What is this character's goal?
    • If you don't want to say here feel free to PM me.

5 hours ago, ice9004 said:

Hello!

So I was thinking and I have a few few questions:

• What kind of nephilim are you asking about?
    • A Judeo-Christian nephilim is actually more of a tieflings, but some media see it as a angle/demon hybrid.
  • Is the character any sort of evil?
    • I forgot to put it in character creation but I'm looking for non-evil characters.
  • What is this character's goal?
    • If you don't want to say here feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your time!

So yes, I'm more familiar with the version in which a nephilim is the child an angel and a mortal. I am a bit familiar with what you mean, though. I think it's because you started seeing it as a premise in some video games, most notoriously the Darksiders series in which the nephilim were a race of angel/demon hybrids and were a multiplanar threat comparable to saiyajins and viltrumites. Another game that does that is Diablo. I'd already been considering the former version due to Christianity being canon in the series. That level of power ruins the setting since it's usually mortals accompanied by the occasional dhampir/vampire with a heart of gold persevering against and managing at times to defeat outsiders that are above their paygrade with Dracula standing as a boundary of power between extraplanar outsiders and mortals.

I had sorta already thought about such a character while playing WotR in which you can play as the Knight Commander of a crusade in which the aforementioned character begins to gradually transform into an angel or several other mythic beings. My character in particular was an angel oracle purifier. Considering the game is based on a from what I can tell a popular adventure path, I'm guessing you're probably already familiar with it? I'm not petitioning for anything so grandiose as mythic levels, but some of the abilities that the angel Knight Commander expressed throughout the game prior to becoming a full-blown celestial being, coupled with the power of divine spellcasting and martial prowess of the oracle purifier could be a cool powerset for a nephilm within the Castlevania verse!

Nope, not evil! Absurdly ambitious, but far from wanting to cause mayhem and destruction, slaughter the innocent, or anything like that. He wants to and believes he's serving the greater good for humanity. He has more in common with characters like Prometheus, Gilgamesh, or Tony Stark. I was thinking Chaotic neutral-good alignment. I'll DM you about his motivations and goals!

Edited by Ultima (see edit history)

Hey, seeing as this is a campaign where the party can expect to fight enemies with special immunities and vulnerabilities - stakes, silver, etc. maybe even cold iron - shouldn't the players start with magical weapons? Or weapons made of special material?

It's beyond level 1, but this is the hit squad being sent in after the star slayer went in and to all appearances nothing happened. It would be foolish to throw them into the lions den without the tools to shut the lions' mouths, so to speak.

Or is there going to be a setup for this? A reason why the party aren't properly kitted out, and soon get their hands on the right gear? Also: do javelins count as "stakes" despite not being made of wood, so long as they hit the heart of a vampire?

I thought it would be because you need to earn the good stuff. If they give you all the best stuff and then you end up dying, they have given some of the strongest items in the world to Drac. But for the silvered and cold iron items, I feel your right. The characters should start with a single silvered or cold iron weapon or 8 pieces of ammunition.

18 minutes ago, rorytheromulan said:

do javelins count as "stakes" despite not being made of wood, so long as they hit the heart of a vampire?

I would say the need to be wooden, but all the characters would realistically have at least 1 wooden stake.

How much does that cost? I can't find wooden stakes in PF2e, but they seem to be free in 1e. Is it the same here?

Also, how much do we pay for our silvered or cold iron weapon? Do we get it free, or pay for it as if it was the normal version of whatever item it is?

Edited by wwaugh (see edit history)

Nobody can afford a silvered or cold iron weapon. A weapon of either material is 40 gold base cost, plus 4 gold per point of Bulk.

How about we say everyone gets to designate one of the normal weapons or 8 pieces of one type of ammunition, that they've bought for the price of normal, as their silver or cold iron weapon, and that will be their only weapon made of a special material to start.

Stakes: stakes have no cost, but stockpiling stakes should accumulate a cost. So what I propose is: if it makes sense for your character to have gotten a stake, they get ONE stake. If they want MORE stakes, they need to start paying 1 copper per stake.

Waiting on DM to sound off.

10 hours ago, rorytheromulan said:

Nobody can afford a silvered or cold iron weapon. A weapon of either material is 40 gold base cost, plus 4 gold per point of Bulk.

How about we say everyone gets to designate one of the normal weapons or 8 pieces of one type of ammunition, that they've bought for the price of normal, as their silver or cold iron weapon, and that will be their only weapon made of a special material to start.

Stakes: stakes have no cost, but stockpiling stakes should accumulate a cost. So what I propose is: if it makes sense for your character to have gotten a stake, they get ONE stake. If they want MORE stakes, they need to start paying 1 copper per stake.

Waiting on DM to sound off.

Sorry for the confusion, I was really tired when I made that post.

I meant to say exactly what your suggesting. Everyone gets a weapon or 8 pieces of ammo they already have silvered OR coated in cold iron for free as well as a free stake. 1cp per extra sounds good.

14 minutes ago, Sundust said:

When is the deadline again?

The 13th of Febuary

Any spells which require metal to function require the PC to be in possession of at least one chunk of that metal or an item made of that metal.

for instance, cold iron needles deal additional damage to creatures with weakness to cold iron.

Personally I would say "yes"