Hoping to import...

Daryk

That will unfortunately not be changing. Right now the most likely route is going to be threads being converted to PDFs, since that custom bbcode will prevent clean conversion. 

You can however copy/paste the rendered posts to Baldr. It’s more labor intensive I know, and certain elements will need to be redone; specifically fieldsets, ooc, and spoiler tags. 

So, does this mean that content from any existing game won't be imported over?  We will have to recreate every game we are running manually?  If that is the case, is there going to be a period of time where both sites are up and running in parallel?  I ask because, if we have to manually port things, I'd rather do it at a clean break, such as the end of a chapter or end of a major combat encounter.  You know, to alleviate as much player angst in migration as possible.

Edited by Scarecrow71 (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

So, does this mean that content from any existing game won't be imported over?  We will have to recreate every game we are running manually?  If that is the case, is there going to be a period of time where both sites are up and running in parallel?  I ask because, if we have to manually port things, I'd rather do it at a clean break, such as the end of a chapter or end of a major combat encounter.  You know, to alleviate as much player angst in migration as possible.

Unfortunately yeah, porting has to be manual. This is due to the amount of very custom BBcode that the convertor is incapable of handling (and breaks the process almost immediately). Existing games on the production (original) site will eventually get ported in rendered form via PDF to avoid as much loss as possible, which is about the best that can be done.

Right now is that time with both sites up and running at the same time, and the beta is going to be going for a good amount of time. There will not be a switch in several months (or even this year). Baldr will have an initial release before we actually lay out a transition timeline.

2 minutes ago, Colin said:

Unfortunately yeah, porting has to be manual. This is due to the amount of very custom BBcode that the convertor is incapable of handling (and breaks the process almost immediately). Existing games on the production (original) site will eventually get ported in rendered form via PDF to avoid as much loss as possible, which is about the best that can be done.

Right now is that time with both sites up and running at the same time, and the beta is going to be going for a good amount of time. There will not be a switch in several months (or even this year). Baldr will have an initial release before we actually lay out a transition timeline.

Well, bummer.  I mean, I get it; the converter is only capable of so much, so the rest has to be done by hand.  It's just gonna be a lot of work for some people due to the number of games they are running.

Can we go ahead and start porting our games now, getting ready for the transition that is going to happen?  Will the beta site be wiped for a clean start at implementation?

Just now, Scarecrow71 said:

Can we go ahead and start porting our games now, getting ready for the transition that is going to happen?  Will the beta site be wiped for a clean start at implementation?

You can absolutely start to port if desired! The beta is going to transition into the initial release without a wiped slate, so all games will carry over. I'm porting my game over, and wouldn't be doing so if this was going to get wiped. 🙂

16 minutes ago, Daryk said:

Does the DM screen still exist?  I have at least half my world building there on the original site...

That is being replaced by Pages on here (in your game, added to the bar), which can be set to be GM-only.