Hoping to import...

Daryk

14 hours ago, Colin said:

That is being replaced by Pages on here (in your game, added to the bar), which can be set to be GM-only. 

Ooooooh, that's the purpose of those!  That makes sense.  I was banging my head against it the other day going "What's even the point of this?"  but yeah, that's clicking for me now LOL

Note to self, once things start stabilizing, maybe get a few folks together to write up a guide on forum best practices?  I dunno, will have to see how things pan out down the line first.

50 minutes ago, Yamazaki said:

Note to self, once things start stabilizing, maybe get a few folks together to write up a guide on forum best practices?

Working on such already, just been taking a while you know? The User Guide is expanding as ideas occur and questions get asked.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, hoverfrog said:

I'd be happy to import threads without the dice and roll tags. There's an awful lot to migrate across and having some sort of import function, even if the file to import needs heavy tweaking, is better than nothing.

You can technically copy and paste sections of post by selecting them with your mouse and it will keep some of the formatting for most things, bold, underline, etc. And retain color and font type as well, the real issue is none of the custom bbcode will import and there is not a way to make it as it is custom bbcode and this site uses html.  So, things like ooc tags, private tags, spoilers, fieldsets, and setfields will not come over.  I have had some success with tables coming over on a copy/paste.

So, you will have to play with what you can get and what you cannot get.  I would not suggest bringing over anything that is not needed, campaign lore is about it.  Old game threads, occ threads, etc will all be preserved (method still being decided on) and always available in some format, just won't be editable after the migration.

Due to the ease of creation with the robust editor here on Baldr, the best practice will be to paste as plain text and reformat here.  In the end that is much easier to do. 

55 minutes ago, Daryk said:

So we're going to lose the "language" tags too?  That's a very nice feature I'll miss if they can't figure out how to implement it.

Most of the tags are being replicated here, spoilers, ooc, etc.  Private tags are in the works and are on the feature request list.  Haven't heard anything about language tags being replicated.

@Colin might know more.

55 minutes ago, bwatford said:

Private tags are in the works and are on the feature request list.  Haven't heard anything about language tags being replicated.

31 minutes ago, Daryk said:

I hope they figure it out!

Yep, I can confirm both are being worked on, and are actually closely related to each other as far as approach and implementation. No timeline beyond "Soon™" at this point. Language tags are most likely going to be tweaked a bit from the OGMW implementation, but in a way that lets them be used more fully within a game (aka eventual communication with the sheets module, but that's an upgrade coming after Baldr's release).

A formal statement on the data maintenance strategy will be issued soon, which will include a plan for maintaining the old site available for a long period of time and as much streamlining as we can reasonably effect on the ability to copy and paste old content in. There are a large number of technical issues with directly copying thread content from site to site due to differences in the game architectures and the post content itself, but we will make sure the old content is accessible in a convenient way to ease the transition. As the GM of a nearly 15-year-old game with 10000+ posts in it, I'm not going to make it hard on myself or my players 😀

• 3 weeks later...