Shadows in the Mist

saithor

You have arrived in Anvilgard, a heavily-fortified port city on the Charrwind Coast. The lands around the city teem with aggressive life, and tall dragon-headed towers belch forth a grey-green mist that kills the plants and leaves the city constantly shrouded in mist.

Lord-Castellant Ephrem Vanhelm of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer, the Stormhost that occupies the city, has instructed you to investigate the corruption and evils present in the city, and to judge if the people are worth saving. If not, the Stormcast Eternals will act, and they will be neither subtle nor forgiving.

To this end he has soulbound you together, with the exception of the one Stormcast Eternal among your ranks. Who are each of you, and why have you found yourselves here in this band of Soulbound, as you wait outside the Dauntless Hall to enter?

Conquest Shipbreaker (just call her Connie) is a Kharadron mercenary with sorcerous skills nearly unheard of among her people. She is heavily clad in an obsidian plated aether-rig, but the helmet is currently off so her pale skin and curly copper-red hair are fully visible along with a sardonic grin as she smokes a long brass pipe while awaiting entry. Another Kharadron would probably spot that she is wearing an old style Durakel rig, lower powered and easier to maintain without a support system, and also that her old vulcaniser pistol is unpowered and not hooked up to the rig at all. A really keen eyed endrineer might note that her obsidian carapace doesn't cover her right gauntlet or even the odd arcane etchings on that right gauntlet. But to her new soulbound companions she mostly just seems casually at ease as she smokes and offers around a sip from her hip flask while they all wait. If the trauma of the binding ritual got to her, she isn't letting it show.

When the Lord-Castellant asked her to join the soulbinding all she asked was how much extra she'd be getting paid, as though that were the only reason she'd consider accepting. She said nothing about the alienation and isolation she often feels among her people because of her sorcery, of constantly operating as a lone operator instead of as part of a crew or squad, or of her last ugly breakup with her employer causing her to be abruptly at loose ends, or of the ugly breakup immediately proceeding that one (also with an employer leaving her abruptly at loose ends), or about how her last flask of aqua ghyranis was down to the last few drops. No, she had just asked how much she was getting paid like it was any other negotiation, trying to act as though she was skeptical or reluctant even.

It is done now and Connie is assured of belonging on some level, though she isn't too sure what to make of her new companions yet. Somehow she expected it to feel... more intense or like she would understand them all immediately. Still, she thinks, plenty of time to get to know them all now I suppose.

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FtWyvA8h.jpg%5B%2Fimg%5D
tWyvA8h.jpg

CAELUS STORMFURY

Knight-Evocatant of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer

With the sound of his steady, armored footfalls echoing around him, Caelus wound his way through the stone halls and spiraling stairwells of the Black Nexus. The tall Stormcast Eternal brooded silently, lost in a swirl of grim thoughts, as he instinctively traced the route that led down through the heart of the mighty fortress to the heavily guarded gates on the ground floor. The quartet of vigilant Protectors keeping watch there parted quickly for the exiting Knight-Evocatant, acknowledging his presence and higher rank with a coordinated stamping of the ends of their Stormstrike Glaives accompanied by nods of respect made in unison. Although he had only arrived in Anvilgard a few days ago, he was already a familiar sight around the Black Nexus with his constant comings and goings as he made exploratory forays into other parts of the city in an effort to acclimate. But with its constant heat, stifling humidity, and the ubiquitous pall of eerie green defoliant, Anvilgard seemed only slightly less depressing than Glymmsforge in Shyish had been.

However, Caelus's unexpected transfer had been ordered directly by Lord-Arcanum Lynus, his immediate superior, who had intimated that he could spare no other for this special assignment. And, in truth, Caelus was the newest addition to the Sempiternals' Chamber Command and thus was the low man on the totem pole among the Sacrosanct's Knights. Therefore, he got the job that none of the others wanted. But he was only told that his task was to assist a newly-formed Binding with its investigation here in Anvilgard, which sounded pretty straightforward--until he was given the dossiers of the Soulbound and realized just how eclectic the group was. And that was putting it mildly. Am I to be their liaison or their babysitter? he wondered, ruefully. With a sigh of resignation, he hefted his black Sigmarite staff, crossed the curving street, and approached Dauntless Hall with a steely resolve that he did not really feel. Orders were orders though, so he would simply have to see and judge for himself who he was going to be working with.

[OOC]

Hi everyone, I'll be your resident Stormcast Eternal. Looking forward to playing with you all. :)

A bare chested dwarf with copper colored hair, a large axe on his back an a metal helm on his hair walks into the room. On his arm are numerous scars, that any warrior would guess is a kill count, and glowing reddish gold runes on his chest and arms. The dwarf stands tall and proud, and dirty as if he just came off a battlefield. Anyone familiar with the fyreslayers may be able to identify the dwarf as one of their Runesmiters. When the Lord-Castellant asked if Fyregrim would be willing to join the Soulbound he said he would, but had conditions. He was to be paid in gold (specifically looking for ur-gold) frequently, would be allowed to take the group for personal missions in certain circumstances, and a copious supply of Magmalt Ale. With that agreed he joined up.

Joining with the rest of the group, Fyregrim sits down at a table, leans his axe against the table and puts his feet up. Alright where be me magmalt ale? So, who be tha rest o' ye an' what be tha plan?

Edited by Rhallan (see edit history)

spacer.pngEllania Luthirian - Scinari Lorekeeper [Body: 3 | Mind 3 | Soul 2]

Melee [5] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [4] | Armour [2] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [8] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [1]

Channeling [5d6 +2] | Weapon [5d6 +1] | Reflexes [4d6] | Awareness [4d6] | Eclipsian StaffDamage: 1 + 1 per success
Crushing - Bludgeoning Damage
Two handed
, Loreseeker BladeDamage: 1 + 1 per success
Crushing - Slashing
Two handed
| SpellsCommon Spells;
• Arcane Bolt
• Arcane Blast
• Mystic Shield
• Flight

Bright Spells;
• Clensing Fire
• Fireball

SpellcastingBright Spells | UnbindRoll a Channeling rest. Difficulty equal to the Difficulty of the Spell and Complexity is equal to total successes of the caster.

If successful the spell is unbound and has no effect
| Unbreakable SpellComplexity of tests to Unbind your spells is increased by 1 per level of focus you have in Channelings | Scinari BalanceCan wield Eclipsian Staff and Loreseeker Blade at the same time, one in each hand.

Additionally you double your Focus on Dexterity and Reflex tests to maintain your balance, keep your footing and resist any effects which would cause you to fall prone
| Scinari ContemplationDuring combat, when you cast a spell, you can double your focus in Channeling if you didn't cast a spell on your previous turn and vice versa

Ellania is, as all Aelfs are, slender, graceful, beautiful and just slightly menacing... and probably older than everyone else in the room combined. It seemed an eclectic group and she was - as to be expected - somewhat aloof from it all. She stood tall in resplendent platemail as is her right, the Scinari armour is unmistakable if you know anything. But if that didn't give it away, the long blade on her back and the staff in her hand should have sealed the deal.

She spent much of the initial introduction in silence, observing the others. Its not that she did so out of mistrust, she was more.. curious.. than anything. It brought her back to why she had accepted the call in the first place. She sought more than conflict, she sought knowledge..

Maeleris perches on one of the statue plinths outside the Hall and immediately dispels any of the stereotypes about the cold and distant nature of the Lumineth. She wears Vanari warmail, dark bronze with golden trim, and has her bright red hair pulled into a loose braid hanging down her shoulder, so she at least looks the part at a glance. A large and clearly well-made bow is strapped on her back alongside a quiver with a fox-faced totem of the Hurakan Temple hanging from it. Her fingers dance impatiently on the hilt of a longsword with a serpentine crossguard on her hip and a scowl mars her face as she mutters under her breath. "Join the Soulbinding, they said. Get to see action, they said. They said nothing about waiting around twiddling our thumbs waiting on some self-important councilor or whoever we're waiting on."

Avatar.png.5cc1192671769b800b7b6473cc225ac4.png"I... thought Lumineth were supposed to be patient?"

The young warrior in red armor seems less offended by Maeleris' outburst, more genuinely surprised. Perhaps even concerned; as though this was the revelation of some deep medical issue. But a second passes, and she regains a semblance of courtly grace. She laughs to the Aelf, waving at the door they're waiting in front of.

"In Nulahmia, this would be a test of character! Or an insult. If you want to meet with a high official of court, you need to show your dedication. Even if they have nothing better to do, and you yourself are a person of repute, they might make you wait just to keep you 'in your place'. And if they do not want to meet you, they'll put it off however they can. A vintage to attend to, bookbinding, studying their orrery. The nobles have all sorts of hobbies they can use as an excuse."

The traveller hums, looking around her fellows. A little less... lively than she expected. Still, that's not enough to stop her smile. "Hard to tell which way this wind blows. The Mortal Realms have their differences as much as their commonalities. Still, we can find something better to do while we wait. Introductions for a start!" The warrior bows to the group, twirling before dropping to one knee. Her cape seems to billow as she rises back to her feet. She's grinning as she alights, enough enthusiasm in her eyes that the two pointed fangs are almost ignorable. "I am Anikah the Late! So called because most of my sisters at arms received their training many years before my time. It is an honour to stand with you all!"

The duardin woman chuckles knowingly at the irritation and confusion of her fellows, "I take it this is some of y'alls first time working for these councilor types? City this size everything official is 'hurry-up-and-wait', almost as bad jobs with the admiralty," she gives a hearty guffaw at her own comment, seemingly in good cheer despite the long wait. Her large aether-endrin hums slightly, operating in some kind of low-power-mode giving it just enough lift to not impede her movements but not enough to actually fly. "Name's Conquest, Conquest Shipbreaker. Most folks just call me Connie though," she winks as she says the last, "the one-and-only Endrin-Sorceress of the Kharadron at your service!" She bangs her fist twice on her obsidian chest plate in what is clearly some sort of typical greeting or gesture of respect responding to Anikah's bow since returning it in kind would be more than a little awkward with her flying contraption attached to her back.

She offers her flask to the other duardin waiting. "It ain't magmalt, but it sure as hell burns going down," she says with a wink and a grin.

Avatar.png.5cc1192671769b800b7b6473cc225ac4.png"You're... really Kharadron? You've sailed the skies? That's a real aetheric device? And... and you're a sorceress too?!"

Anikah's eyes are gleaming at Connie's introduction. She looks like she's just heard her new friend is Sigmar himself. Ani struggles for a few seconds, not sure how to approach this properly. Her first instinct is to ask a thousand more questions: the ships Conquest has sailed on, places she's visited, famous admirals she might have known. Eventually though, past training gives out. Even if she's no official diplomat, she's still a disciple of the old man. She should act the part. The warrior chuckles, and her manner shifts to something a little more proper.

"Apologies. I... am still new to travelling the Realms. I might be an heir of the dragon, but that still leaves me the 'backwater yokel' of our group, I think."

spacer.pngEllania Luthirian - Scinari Lorekeeper [Body: 3 | Mind 3 | Soul 2]

Melee [5] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [4] | Armour [2] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [8] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [1]

Channeling [5d6 +2] | Weapon [5d6 +1] | Reflexes [4d6] | Awareness [4d6] | Eclipsian Staff, Loreseeker Blade | Spells

Spellcasting | Unbind | Unbreakable Spells | Scinari Balance | Scinari Contemplation

"Some of us are more patient than others."

Its no surprise where it was aimed but then there was no venom in her tone, at best there was perhaps a hint of resignation "But then some of us are older than others.. with more stately callings."

She takes a real look at Maeleris "Some off us fling ourselves from floating temples praying we do not die."

Connie looks up at Anikah with a wry grin, her eyes resting on the small fangs with interest. "It ain't so impressive as all that, but I have been on a fair few skyships in my time," she says, sending a tiny arc of celestial lightning from her fingertip to relight the fading embers in her pipe. Not that it really needs relighting, but she always has trouble resisting a good audience. "And I'd guess one or two of the others got some lore to 'em so don't be treating me special or nothing. Besides I'm sure you got a few special talents of your own." She gives a little wink as she speaks and takes a long draw off her brass pipe.

Though she tries to seem unconcerned and like she isn't paying attention Connie is listening closely to the aelf interaction, trying to decipher the social dynamic of their unfamiliar culture. Despite her surface irreverence she really doesn't want to get off on the wrong foot with any of her new compatriots by jumping into something she really doesn't understand.

Caith Mor'Phann - Isharran Soulscryer [Body: 1 | Mind 3 | Soul 3]

Melee [1] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [1] | Armour [1] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [3] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [2]

Devotion [5d6 +1] | Determination [4d6] | Intimidation [3d6 +1] | Intuition [5d6 +1] | Survival [4d6] | Theology [4d6 +1] |Finger Claws, Dowerchime Staff, Ethersea CloakA Ethersea cloak appears as roiling waves falling from the wearer's shoulder and causes the air to fill with the smell of seawater. Created by Isharran Tidecasters, an ethersea cloak surrounds the wearer in the aura of the ethers, allowing land dwelling creatures to breathe and move underwater as if they were on land, and sea creatures to 'swim' through the air as if underwater. | Miracles

Disquieting Presence | Blessed (The Ethersea)

There is a rising smell of salt and seaweed, and the touch of haar upon the air - almost imagined. Moments later an ethereal wave sweeps through the room, depositing a 6'4" slender figure at the edge of the group. You recognise him still in the same outfit at the night of the Ritual of Binding, his face obscured by a shell white mask from which bitter haunted jade eyes stare forth, his blond hair braided with fishbone and held back under a ragged sailors bandana. Across it all an oily sheen, iridescent in the torchlight, spreads from the viscous black oil spattered over. The visions of turbulent quickly fade, though the faint sea smell remains.

"And some would better spend their prayer elsewhere," he spits, continuing Ellania's thoughts. His gaze brushes contemptuously over the two favoured, their souls burning like white fire in his sight, to settle on the garrulous knight in red. "Greetings fellow bound," he intones. From a selfish point of view his own pain had already faded dramatically into the bond, replaced by a certainty of sufficiency and guarantee of future safety from He Who Hungers.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FtWyvA8h.jpg%5B%2Fimg%5D
tWyvA8h.jpg

CAELUS STORMFURY [wiki]

Knight-Evocatant of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer

The walk from the Anvils' Stormkeep to Dauntless Hall was short and uneventful. But even through the semi-opaque mists, which had a way of muffling ambient noises, Caelus could already make out the susurrus of voices up ahead--a small gathering by the sound of it. Must be the Binding, already together, he surmised. Mulling over the unorthodox composition of the nascent group, he found himself wondering what their ultimate purpose would be. What had driven Lord-Castellant Ephrem to decide upon such an unconventional choice of investigators with all of the resources he had at his disposal? Perhaps the Anvils were stretched too thin and required outside assistance in such matters, because it was true that the Stormhost was divided between Shyish and Aqshy so available manpower was at a premium. And the very fact that the Lord-Castellant had felt it was necessary to perform a spell as powerful and as taxing as the Ritual of Binding spoke volumes to the precariousness of the city's situation.

Caelus appeared out of a wispy bank of defoliant like an armored grim reaper, resplendent in black-hued Sigmarite plate and bearing his staff of office. Without his plumed helm on, his bronzed face with its strong Azyrite features, framed by shoulder-length silvery-white hair, bore an ageless aristocratic quality to it, the idealized vision of a man reforged from the depths of time. And with his long strides, he cut through the square in front of Dauntless Hall, which was a continuously-tended garden-quad, to pause before the others congregating there. "I am Knight-Evocatant Caelus of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer," he stated plainly, just a succinct introduction without any preamble. "Lord-Castellant Ephrem Vanhelm has bid me to aid you all in your task. Of which, I am told, we are to find more details about within." He beckoned to those who were willing to follow him with a gauntleted wave of his free hand as he ascended the obsidian steps of the imposing structure to its main entryway, stopping to identify himself and the Binding to the Freeguild soldiers stationed there.

[OOC]

I think some people are already inside? Caelus will help usher in any who are still outside.

Taking the offered flask from the other duardin, May nae be Magmalt Ale, but be still duradin made! thank ye! Fyrgrim knocks back a belt from the flask and hands it back to Connie. He lets out a loud belch, Nae bad at all! be that a bugman’s? Oh, an' i forgot ta introduce myself. I be Fyrgrim, originally o' Lofnir Lodge. As everyone else introduces themselves Fyrgrim seems to take the measure of each person.

OOC: Sorry for the short post. Been a long weekend, and I am headed to bed.

Edited by Rhallan (see edit history)

Maeleris shrugs at Ellania as the collective heads inside. "Don't have the patience for that kind of nonsense like metalith hopping. Too much Aqshy in my blood, as my mother would phrase it. I'm one of those reckless fools who charges on horseback into Khornates just for a fun fight." She gives a nod to the vampire. "Maeleris Elarian, Steedmaster of Tor Ignatal. Swordswoman, archer, cavalier, give me a weapon and a fight and I've got your back."