Shadows in the Mist

saithor

Caith Mor'Phann - Isharran Soulscryer [Body: 1 | Mind 3 | Soul 3]

Melee [1] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [1] | Armour [1] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [3] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [2]

Devotion [5d6 +1] | Determination [4d6] | Intimidation [3d6 +1] | Intuition [5d6 +1] | Survival [4d6] | Theology [4d6 +1] | Finger Claws, Dowerchime Staff, Ethersea Cloak | Miracles

Disquieting Presence | Blessed (The Ethersea)

Caith nods, tall and quiet once more against the side, save for the swirl of his ethersea cloak. It was difficult to see the surface dwellers around him be further humanised, but then he would never return truly to the enclave anyway. Oblivion awaited him now, the deal struck for guaranteed protection against Slaanesh's future appetites.

Nodding, the councilwoman stands up. She heads to the door, gesturing for you to follow her. "The captain is at one of the docks. He is recommended, and frankly, I wouldn't trust him normally. However, another council member vouches for him heavily. And frankly, any ship these days carries its risks."

The Beached Mermaid is one of the most popular taverns on Bleakscale Harbour and even at this early hour it is full of patrons. It is a motley bunch — Humans, Aelves, and Duardin all mix together, getting drunk and telling sea stories.

Kassan expertly weaves through the crowd inside the tavern, heading for one of the private rooms deeper inside the bar. She opens a door and waves you inside. Within the room are a table, a cold fireplace, and a series of plushly appointed chairs and couches. Most of these are drawn up to the table and an Aelf rests on one. There is a smell of salt water in the room that you didn’t detect in the bar as a whole.

The Aelf stands up gracefully, reaching out a hand first to Councillor Kassan and then to each of you as she makes introductions, a stiff smile on her face the entire time. Still, Theriel Kaltis grins broadly, welcoming you with the manner of a practiced diplomat. He has well-worn leathers that creak and shimmer with sea-salt when he moves and a cloak made from some fearsome beast. "So, who is ready for an adventure on the searing seas among you?"

Melee [1] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [1] | Armour [1] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [3] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [2]

Devotion [5d6 +1] | Determination [4d6] | Intimidation [3d6 +1] | Intuition [5d6 +1] | Survival [4d6] | Theology [4d6 +1] | Finger Claws, Dowerchime Staff, Ethersea Cloak | Miracles

Caith flows through the crowd after the council-woman, ignoring the disquiet him presence produces in many watchers. The whispers they leave in their wake would be from any of them, and certainly he wouldn't expect his kind to be recognised - if they were it was a failure on the Tidecasters. He inhales deeply as they ventured into the back room, drawing in the familiar and reassuring scent at odds with the claustrophobic dark oak. When the sailor takes his hand the dower chimes on his staff ring softly, swaying in an invisible current. He stares past the aelf's mortal shell and the glowing soul beneath, stripping away the artifice presented. "Travelling over rather than beneath will certainly be an experience," he shares guardedly, "though I cannot imagine the dangers will be as great as the depths."

OOC

Attempting to use the Diviner of Truth miracle on this shady sea dragon!

I believe I roll Soul(Devotion) with a Difficulty (default 4) set by saithor, and the captain rolls against the same difficulty using Soul(Determination), and I learn one piece of information per difference in successes?

Hmm, need to find a better way of asking that to show the dice without clicking on it, since the total doesn't matter, but rolling 2,6,3,2,2 would give me one success, and I'll spend my focus to make the 3 > 4 for two successes.

For preference I'd like to learn a secret about them, and one of their short term goals depending on their successes.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)
Name
Soul(Devotion)
5d6 2,6,3,2,2

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FtWyvA8h.jpg%5B%2Fimg%5D
tWyvA8h.jpg

CAELUS STORMFURY [wiki]

Knight-Evocatant of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer

Except for his initial request for elucidation, Caelus remained conspicuously silent, keeping his own private counsel, as the Binding continued to question Morgan Kassan. His personal orders, from both Lord-Arcanum Lynus Ghalmorian and Lord-Castellant Ephrem Vanhelm, had made it quite clear that he was not to interfere with the Soulbound's decisions--they had been granted full autonomy and operated outside of the Anvils' conventional hierarchy. Therefore, the purpose of his presence was primarily to assist, observe, evaluate, and eventually present a report on the group's effectiveness. And the task of tracking down the whereabouts of the missing Kharadron Frigate, the Burz Mulnkuremon, and retrieving its contents would be their first real test.

After the brisk walk from Dauntless Hall, through the green-shrouded cobblestone streets, to the northern edge of the city where The Beached Mermaid occupied a spot on the eastern bank of Bleakscale Harbor, Caelus trailed along in the Councilor's wake as she led everyone inside the tavern and through its crowded main area to a private room in the back of the building. And upon meeting and greeting their Aelven host, the Blackfin's roguish captain, he could see why Theriel Kaltis would rub the conservative woman the wrong way, since the Aelf certainly looked and sounded the part of a dubious scoundrel. The cagey Knight-Evocatant also harbored his own reservations, but it wasn't like there were any immediate alternatives available. "When do you plan on departing?" he asked, resigned to this particular fate.

Following the Councilwoman into the Beached Mermaid, Fyregrim looks around and smiles. Now this might be a fun establishment. Wonder if they have Magmalt Ale here? Walking into the private room he is assaulted with the smell of the sweltering hot sea air. Except for the salt, it almost feels like home. Listening to all of the introductions, Fyregrim waited until the others done with their introductions and then he steppe forward, Nice ta meet ye Theriel, names Fyregrim. How long have ye been sailing tha searing seas? havy ye seen any interesting beasties? He takes a seat and listens to the response, and what the others have to say.

Avatar.png.5cc1192671769b800b7b6473cc225ac4.pngHanging back a bit, Anikah notes their 'guest' member is proving a little... less than communicative. She doesn't make an observation as they walk, but once they reach the tavern and Caelus' only question is 'how quickly are we leaving', Ani mutters to the man sitting next to her. "You know, Master Caelus, there's no need to be that formal. We aren't in Shyish anymore. We're among the living. Live!"

Her little aside given, Anikah laughs to Theriel Kaltis, matching that easy grin with one of her own. "Yes, we are very much ready for this!" There's a distinctive glint in her eye as she laughs at the sea aelf captain. That earlier skepticism from the councilor's office has evapourated. Now she sees the man, his billowing cloak, the leathers worn with travels of the world, she's showing some profoundly undignified wonderlust. She chuckles, the sort of laugh that comes easily in company you trust. "My first time at sea, I'm afraid. But this is something I used to dream about. Daring adventure, the realms laid out before us, everything possible. Gotta admit, I envy you the life. Whatever the danger, whatever the problem, there's always a chance that tomorrow's better, right?"

Edited by Inquisitor D (see edit history)

spacer.pngEllania Luthirian - Scinari Lorekeeper [Body: 3 | Mind 3 | Soul 2]

Melee [5] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [4] | Armour [2] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [8] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [1]

Channeling [5d6 +2] | Weapon [5d6 +1] | Reflexes [4d6] | Awareness [4d6] | Eclipsian Staff, Loreseeker Blade | Spells

Spellcasting | Unbind | Unbreakable Spells | Scinari Balance | Scinari Contemplation

Ellania makes sure to show due appreciation to their latest companion, as was due. "I am more than glad to, as you say, have a seafaring adventure.."

tWyvA8h.jpg

CAELUS STORMFURY [wiki]

To the Knight-Evocatant, the entire Binding represented a major deviation from the norm. But Anikah, in particular, stood out from the rest of the group as the most anomalous of the anomalies, which was no mean feat. So to hear her suddenly address him with a half-measure of familiarity was somewhat disconcerting, although he tried to mask it well, his stoic features remaining as motionless as a pond of still water. With a curt swivel, Caelus brought his cerulean gaze to bear upon her, his eyes the vibrant blue of one of the eternal storms of Azyr, as he deigned to reply, "It is not so much formality as it is restlessness. It has already been a week since the airship's disappearance. This is no time to dally." And he meant what he said, in his estimation there truly was no time to waste. But, for the immediate future, the team's schedule would be dictated by an Aelf corsair whose personal motives were murky at best.

As the ritual is cast, Caith is able to pick up two pieces of information floating in the corsair's head. The first is that his ship, The Blackfin, is capable of flight, something he doesn't want spread around. And the other is that he isn't just interested in the wreck for the pay, but wants to find it for reasons Caith cannot divine. The corsair gives you all a grin. "We can depart soon. I have a little business I'd like to get done first, but beyond that, we should be ready to cast off. Just fair warning, my passengers are expected to help defend the ship, and there's been sightings of not just the usual nurgle worshippers but some of the Flesh-eater courts off the Isle of Ghouls is trying to patrol the seas as well. We could be attacked by either out there on the ocean. You can either wait out the time here in the Mermaid or go explore the docks if you get bored. Shouldn't be more than a few hours!" And with that the corsair departs.

tWyvA8h.jpg

CAELUS STORMFURY [wiki]

"I, too, shall take my leave," Caelus announced after Captain Kaltis had abruptly exited the private room of The Beached Mermaid. The rest of the Knight's belongings were still back inside his personal quarters at the Black Nexus. But their retrieval would not take long, an hour at most if he took his leisure. "I just need to gather some of my possessions, and then I shall return to the docks and reconvene with you all at the wharf where the Blackfin is berthed," he explained. For a fleeting moment, he entertained the thought of trying to follow the Captain to see where he was going but quickly dismissed the idea. A Stormcast Eternal was simply too conspicuous in this part of the city, sticking out like a dark-armored thumb. Perhaps one of the Binding would take the initiative to do so instead. And he considered making a suggestion to that effect but held his tongue. Let's see what kind of actions they take without any of my influence, he mused.

Caith listens silently to the Captain as he gives his excuses, moving to sit in one of the warm leather chairs at the edge of the private room. Shortly after, the Stormcast - an equally dour personage as Caith - also leaves. He thanks the counciller carefully, waiting for her to leave as well now her duty has been discharged. Once she does so he turns to the remaining members of the bound before they too can disperse. Certainly the dwarves seemed eager to drink. The luminescent he wasn't sure, the one seemed inclined to action the other to contemplation.

"The captain hides attempts to hide truths from us," he speaks quietly, "whether they will have bearing on our mission I do not know, but he has his own reasons for seeking the lost ship beyond simple payment." He leaves that particular stone to ripple through the silent room for a few moments.

"The Mor'Phann have fought against Nagash's invasion before, but the Flesh Eater Courts are not those who came for our Enclaves - I know some of their nature but perhaps there is one here who knows more?"

Avatar.png.5cc1192671769b800b7b6473cc225ac4.png

Anikah takes the news of their captain's motivations with a frown. She leaves the words a second, letting them stew before offering her take. "Not being motivated by money cuts both ways. He could know someone aboard the Burz Mulkurenon, and wish to check on their condition. But it's worthy of concern at least. Well done, Sir Caith. Let's stay wary."

As the conversation turns to the Flesh Eater Courts, the vampire snorts. "Ah, my oh so charming 'cousins'." It's strange to think on them from her current position. "I only know rumours, truth be told. I hail from Nulahmia, the domain of the Mortarch of Blood. The Courts had no presence in the city. They weren't seen as a fit discussion point for polite society. They were a childrens tale for most of us mortals, a predator lurking in the plains. "

"My master told tales of them once or twice though. Supposedly he'd met with a Baron of theirs during his wandering years. The Dragon found their ways... amusing. 'More honest than her majesty's court' was how he put it."

The wandering knight sighs as an unfortunate possibility comes to her. "Old one's withers, please tell me none of them drank the defoliant."

spacer.pngEllania Luthirian - Scinari Lorekeeper [Body: 3 | Mind 3 | Soul 2]

Melee [5] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [4] | Armour [2] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [8] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [1]

Channeling [5d6 +2] | Weapon [5d6 +1] | Reflexes [4d6] | Awareness [4d6] | Eclipsian Staff, Loreseeker Blade | Spells

Spellcasting | Unbind | Unbreakable Spells | Scinari Balance | Scinari Contemplation

"The flesh eaters do not concern me as much as secrets do..."

"Scraps against the flesheaters happen from time to time back home. Always have to keep an eye on the sky, they've got some flying big guys and I've seen one of their dragons at a distance before. That's not a fight I'd choose to pick myself. The normal types though tend to just rush you; keep your wits about you and they aren't too terrible. Never heard of them having ships though."

Maeleris shrugged as she waved down a barmaid. "Fireale for me, please, and not the watered down stuff you serve the humans." She turns back towards the group. "Then again, shipfaring and swashbuckling is new to me as well. This is going to be fun!"

"I am no knight, sanguine soul," Caith replies, "though your point is sound. His reasons need not be malicious nor conflicting with our own. After all, I'm sure we all agreed to the binding for separate purposes." He swirls a cup of water before him, taking a long sip. "Did you finally see past Teclis' blinding light cousin?" He asks the Scinari