Shadows in the Mist

saithor

For those who choose to leave the inn, the city’s harbour is a wide, open lagoon of the Searing Sea. It seems most local privateers and merchants prefer smaller, quicker ships with shallower drafts than the bigbellied galleons used elsewhere.

A series of docks and piers extend out into the water, extended from a curving cobblestone road known as Bleakscale Harbour Road. On the opposite side of the narrow road are warehouses, taverns, inns, and private houses, all towered over by the stone buttresses of the cannon towers. An assortment of stores and shops line this narrows road. A second tavern called the Crow's Nest, Fine Outfitters, The Last Stop, and Gileo's Maps and Cartography Supplies seem the most visited of the various warehouses and shops.

It is exceptionally early in the morning and the sun still sleeps on the horizon, giving a bloody red cast to the lagoon. You find the Blackfin without trouble. The corsair’s ship is sleek and narrow, and the deck is no more than a dozen feet above the waterline. There are gun ports on both sides, a reinforced prow, and you note the boarding ladders and hooks mounted on the bulwarks. The ship is stained with a deep black-red resin that seems to absorb all light in the gathering gloom. Below the waterline, the timbers are painted white — if you ask Kaltis about this, he explains that it makes the ship less visible to the dangerous creatures that live beneath the waves of the Searing Sea.

"We'll need to get on board the ship and get you all situated now. I run a very punctual ship, and we will be out of the harbor within an hour. My first mate can help you. Sulemek! Come help the passengers!"

Coming down the ramp from the ship, an Idoneth with pale skin and stern features grimaces and replies "I am not your mate in any meaning of the word. But as long as your promise stands, we shall work together."

Theriel waves off the harsh words "Sulemek will show you to your quarters and answer your questions." He states before hurrying up the ramp.

Caith Mor'Phann - Isharran Soulscryer [Body: 1 | Mind 3 | Soul 3]

Melee [1] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [1] | Armour [1] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [3] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [2]

Devotion [5d6 +1] | Determination [4d6] | Intimidation [3d6 +1] | Intuition [5d6 +1] | Survival [4d6] | Theology [4d6 +1] | Finger Claws, Dowerchime Staff, Ethersea Cloak | Miracles

Disquieting Presence | Blessed (The Ethersea)

After a tense night, dawn at last brings action. Caith rises with the bells, taking in the docks almost aflame as the red light catches sea and smoke alike. A very different palette to the gloom of Mor'Phann. He approaches the ship confidently, taking in the various defences with a slight mocking smile. As if any of that would stand against the real titans that lurked beneath. However the sudden appearance of one of his kin shocks him to a halt. Switching to the language of the depths he calls out in his mother tongue "Sulemek! May you travel on favourable tides, and reap bounty. What brings you to the surface? Which enclave cast you out, or do you travel with their blessing as I?" The ramp creaks and bends as he boards the ship, unfamiliar with the rocking motion - suspended above that which normally encompasses him.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Sulmek grunts. "I have not been cast out. An agreement has been made with Theriel Keltis on the behalf of Idoneth everywhere, and as long as it stands I stay on his ship." He leads you up onto the ship, across the main deck towards the entrances down below. The middle of the ship is filled with tar-coated barrels, great coils of rope, pulleys, lead weights, lumber, construction tools, and more. Belowdecks lies a set of cabins for you, enough that you only need to double-up to fit into them. "We will leave when the sun reaches a bit higher in the sky. It would be best to have yourselves situated by then. Nothing will happen in the bay itself, but the seas may get rougher once we leave it's protection."

Maeleris grins at seeing the Idoneth crew member. "Cousin! Good to see a kindred spirit out from their homelands! Right then, who wants to bunk up? I don't snore too loud if that's a concern for anyone." She tosses her kit into one of the cabins. "Sulmek, do you want us staying out of the way when the ship leaves port, or can we watch from the deck? Never been on a ship like this before, would love to get to watch how it all works if that's not in your way."

On 2/27/2024 at 6:41 AM, Ironblaze said:

Maeleris grins at seeing the Idoneth crew member. "Cousin! Good to see a kindred spirit out from their homelands! Right then, who wants to bunk up? I don't snore too loud if that's a concern for anyone." She tosses her kit into one of the cabins. "Sulmek, do you want us staying out of the way when the ship leaves port, or can we watch from the deck? Never been on a ship like this before, would love to get to watch how it all works if that's not in your way."

The Idoneth nods politely. "It is good to see a kindred spirit, yes. And watching from the deck should be fine. There's more than enough space. Just expect the captain to badger you if things go well. If nothing needs his immediate attention, he gets very talkative with any guests he can get within earshot."

spacer.pngEllania Luthirian - Scinari Lorekeeper [Body: 3 | Mind 3 | Soul 2]

Melee [5] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [4] | Armour [2] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [8] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [1]

Channeling [5d6 +2] | Weapon [5d6 +1] | Reflexes [4d6] | Awareness [4d6] | Eclipsian Staff, Loreseeker Blade | Spells

Spellcasting | Unbind | Unbreakable Spells | Scinari Balance | Scinari Contemplation

Ellania seems less excited about the idea of 'bunking up' with anyone involved and stays - mostly - quiet "Well warned."

Melee [1] | Accuracy [3] | Defense [1] | Armour [1] | Toughness [8/8] | Init [3] | Wounds [4/4] | Awareness [2] | Mettle [2]

Devotion [5d6 +1] | Determination [4d6] | Intimidation [3d6 +1] | Intuition [5d6 +1] | Survival [4d6] | Theology [4d6 +1] | Finger Claws, Dowerchime Staff, Ethersea Cloak | Miracles

Caith is surprised by the Idoneth's admission, though his mask does well to hide it. Perhaps other enclaves were less secretive than the Mor'Phann. Certainly he was aware of the rifts within his kin regarding their participation in the Alliance of Order and to what extent they should. He supposed that being aboard would afford certain opportunities in scouting suitable ports for the Reaping. He makes his way to the prow of the ship, standing tall and unbent like some kind of dark figurehead. Yes, he thought, these mortals were growing all too comfortable with the dangers of the deep. Shielded no doubt by Sulemek's pact. He would see what dangers the surface brought - few cultists of Nurgle were found in the lightless depths after all.

Posted (edited)

As the sun rises, the Blackfin begins to move across the lagoon’s red water. The crew use oars to push themselves away from the dock and unfurl the sails. Kaltis stands at the stern of the ship, steady hands on the wheel. Beside him stands Sulémek, a look of intense concentration upon his Aelven face. As the ship exits the lagoon, the reason for waiting until high tide becomes apparent.

While the lagoon itself is kept clear of debris, there are many shipwrecks just outside the harbour. Some were unfortunate accidents due to the shifting sandbars, but most are the result of the cannons of the Scourge Privateers. To the south you can see the rotting remains of the Nurgle ship The Pustulent Horror through the clear waters: a mass of rotting wood held together by bulbous tentacles and covered with green and purple funguses with the sunken and mangled bodies of other Nurgle Maggotkin surrounding it. There are a couple of tenders surrounding it, with workers grimacing at the foul work.

Once the ship has cleared the graveyard, the expressions on both Kaltis’ and Sulémek’s faces soften. The Blackfin is now in the deep water of the ocean proper.

OOC

During this time, you can attempt to talk to the crew to find out more information about the Captain and First Mate. You can choose to make a Mind (Guile), Mind(Lore), or Mind (Entertain) check to try and ferret out information.

Edited by saithor (see edit history)

The rotting corpse of a Nurgle ship draws distaste over Caith's posture, even in death it poisons the water around it. He heads below deck as the ship beings to carefully navigate the skeletal graveyard, noting briefly the difficulties the harbour posed in launching a raid on the city. Several kernels of information remained out of reach, and he hoped to find the truth of them one way or another. The details of Sulemek's pact intrigued him, and he had not forgotten the Captain's hidden motivations. He stalked the bowels of the ship, more comfortable out of the sun, and loomed about the crew, attempting to find the circumstances around Sulemek's joining, and any sign of the Captain's hidden agenda.

Name
Mind(Guile)
success(sort(3d6,highest),4,above,no,no) 4,1,6

Talking with the crew, Caith hears a fair bit about Sulmek and his presence on the ship. "Nothing against him," one of the crew says "But he's pretty new to the crew. Cap hired him on because no one else could fill the role, but he's a bit stand-offish. Doesn't mix well with others, if you know what I mean? Still, useful at what he does to be sure."

Maeleris enjoyed watching the crew bustle about as the ship shoved off the dock. Once the ship was away and the captain seemed less busy, she decided to take advantage of Sulemek's warning and chat with the captain. Others in the Binding might be more interested in a covert approach to gathering information, but the former Steedmaster never cared all that much for games of intrigue. "If you don't mind me asking, what led you to walk the path of a corsair? Thrill of coin and combat? Family profession?"

Posted (edited)

"Love of the open sea and adventure of course," The captain says with a grin. "Once I sailed once on the ocean, nothing else for me, friend. The thrill of it is hard to give up. Family got me into it of course, but they were just merchant traders, very different from my current profession."

Edited by saithor (see edit history)

It's part of the way through the journey when Sulemek goes to the captain, and whispers something in his ear. The Captain nods, frowning, before addressing your group. "Friends, I am sorry to say this, but there is a problem belowdecks I request your assistance with. It appears we have stowaways of a nature that is rather difficult for us to deal with. I'm hoping I can count on your aid in handling them?"

Caith arched an eyebrow. Clearly the famed martial ability of the corsairs left something to be desired. Not that Caith was surprised by their failure. "Very well, we shall see them washed to sea," he replied confidently, striding down towards the lower decks, dowerchimes jingling.